Wasabi Power batteries

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

Raigmore

Wasabi Power batteries

Post by Raigmore »

My wife and I are currently in India and will remain here till March 2021. My wife owns a Leica V-Lux 1 camera that was with the stuff in storage for several months and so was not used for almost a year. We took it out a few days ago and to our pleasant surprise, found that the camera itself worked perfectly - on mains. But both BP-DC5-E batteries, originally supplied with the camera, were deader than dead mackerel. 2 cycles of overnight recharging were of no use and neither battery can hold its charge for more then a few clicks.

One of the things that I want to know is of there is any trick that I can use in the recharging process to make the cells keep their charge.

The other issue is, IF I am forced to get a new battery, the only brand available in India is from a Chinese manufacturer called Wasabi Power. I sked Leica UK and they said that they had never heard of the brand and will have to check and come back to me in a few days. Leica admitted that though they no loner make those batteries themselves, they recommend either the Duracell or Panasonic-Leica brand. Neither is available in India.

Doea anyone know anything (good or bad) about Wasabi Power batteries?
The Bear

Post by The Bear »

Can you not order the correct ones in from another country?
driver8

Post by driver8 »

A few thoughts -

- order from Amazon India?
- I've bought unbranded batteries for 2 different cameras, and they seem to have the same performance as the original brands (Canon, Panasonic) even years later.
- you can sometimes resurrect dead batteries by immersing them in hot water for a few minutes, several times over ... but the obvious safety caveats apply!

Looking forward to seeing some photos! :thumbs:
Raigmore

Post by Raigmore »

Thanks people.

Bear, even before Covid intervened, getting stuff from outside the country into India was very iffy. Now it is downright waste of time trying.

Driver8, the Wasabi Power batteries are advertised in Amazon India. I have e-mailed Leica who replied that they have never heard of the company but will check and let us know on Monday. They say that original batteries are no longer available but recommend those made by Panasonic or Duracell, both of which are easily and cheaply available in the UK. But getting them to India is another story. As we will be here till the first week of March 2021, my wife wants to get a replacement battery.

As for photographs, you may not be interested. My wife uses the Leica for only photos of her hobby - ancient archeological ruins in various parts of the world. Most are those of subjects that she is researching into, usually close-ups from different angles. She wants to visit a recently discovered Buddhist site not very far from where we live and needs the camera for that trip.
basegreen

Post by basegreen »

replacement off brand batteries for cameras have always been fine for me
Raigmore

Post by Raigmore »

I finally bought a third party compatible battery from a brand called Power Play. It is made in China but the blurb says "Approved in the UK". It cost just over a third of the Wasabi Power battery and charged properly on Leica's charger. Thus far it appears to be working well.
douglasb

Post by douglasb »

"Approved in the UK." LOL.