What makes a good photographer?

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

wobbly Jelly

What makes a good photographer?

Post by wobbly Jelly »

I was watching master of photography and talking about this with O/H.

In my head it's a mix of Skill (technical e.g. choosing suitable exposure / settings etc not just pressing the button ), Eye (seeing / framing the shot) and kit. As regardless of how good you are need extras for certain shots e.g. the right lenses, filters tripods.

Oh and a good dose of luck!

Anything Else? Is post processing another element or just a mix of the 3 above?
designed on the back of a fag packet - by a non-smoker
Arthur Fowler

Post by Arthur Fowler »

wobbly Jelly wrote:I was watching master of photography and talking about this with O/H.

In my head it's a mix of Skill (technical e.g. choosing suitable exposure / settings etc not just pressing the button ), Eye (seeing / framing the shot) and kit. As regardless of how good you are need extras for certain shots e.g. the right lenses, filters tripods.

To stand out as an exceptional photographer, I would say it's nearly all your "eye" option.

To be good, still need a lot of "eye".

One thing you didn't mention is time and patience.
driver8

Post by driver8 »

If you're asking that question, I can highly recommend David duChemin's work - he's put out loads of freebies over the years - photo assignments, videos, ebooks - and is selling plenty courses and books, too.

Browse his blog - and podcast

What Makes The Image Work? >> Watch part 1 of his latest course for free.

and browse chapters of his portfolio, full screen

To try to answer your question, these days it's pretty much a given that everyone's kit is good enough, and they know how to use it. Although we all get duff or missed shots, of course. So a few thoughts -

- patience, yes. Taking 10-100 progress shots (not on rapid fire) and building on them is the way to get that NatGeo cover.
- immerse yourself in the subject, and get to know and understand it.
- get closer, frame well, experiment with light, break the 'rules'.
- context, depth (with some elements out of focus).
- tell a story. Looking through the day's photos at home, you'll find that 9 are just OK but that 1 stands out, due to subtle differences usually in the people - eyes, hands, mouth, posture. After spotting this, the other 9 shots are rendered inferior.
- a master photog never shows his 90%+ mediocre images! If you go on a trip with 1000+ images, try to get just 10 photos you'd be proud to have on your wall.

I particularly like the idea of capturing a moment in time. So even if another photographer visits the same location, he's unlikely to be able to recreate your shot.

Question: How would you take a good photo of this ... ?
David's answer: I wouldn't.
jmdomain

Post by jmdomain »

wobbly Jelly wrote:I was watching master of photography and talking about this with O/H.

Passion, Determination and Patience.
cliff homewood

Post by cliff homewood »

I get fed up with the after effects people put on these days, I want to see real life in photos not a touched up reality. I'm not a photographer so may miss some of the subtler touching up.
basegreen

Post by basegreen »

I sometimes use filters, but normally to recreate some classic film effect, or sometimes vignette to add a bit of drama.