The Official flickr thread - part 2

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

Boink!

The Official flickr thread - part 2

Post by Boink! »

Following on from original thread here.
Deron

Post by Deron »

"If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win." Bill Shankly
500px
driver8

Post by driver8 »

seems OK, but pretty simplistic - I wonder how many people actually requested this as a feature ??

What I want is -

- ability to backup all my RAW files (what are the chances ?)
- ability to have a customised front page showcase of some of my best images - if I've just uploaded 50 shots of an event, I don't want these to take up the first 5 pages of my photostream. And following on from this, if you stumble across the middle of a user's stream (page 20 of 100), it's impossible to see their best/fave images unless they've created a specific set, or you use one of those BigLabs tools.
paulsaz

Post by paulsaz »

Doubt they'll ever switch to becoming a backup site, look at carbonite or similar for that.
A proper gallery url that you could customise over time would be welcome. This new design is just the default picassa/google+ view isn't it? Hardly ground breaking is it?
DeadYankee

Post by DeadYankee »

It's very weak - it just puts a spotlight on how unnatractive the presentation of the site is in general. Why on earth they focussed on the presentation of the images of other people rather than your own is utterly perplexing.
Dno

Post by Dno »

Controlling my 'home page' is what drives me mad as well.. If I'm uploading a load from an outing, I have to faff about, and hold my 5 favourites until last.. For a site that's supposed to be about showcasing your own work, they do make it hard.
sworrall

Post by sworrall »

looks different but a bit meh.

Dno wrote:Controlling my 'home page' is what drives me mad as well.. If I'm uploading a load from an outing, I have to faff about, and hold my 5 favourites until last.. For a site that's supposed to be about showcasing your own work, they do make it hard.

I use flickr uploader for this. put your 5 faves at the top left of the uploader window and they'll go in last. :thumbs:
Dno

Post by Dno »

sworrall wrote:looks different but a bit meh.

I use flickr uploader for this. put your 5 faves at the top left of the uploader window and they'll go in last. :thumbs:

Ah, ta very much.. I use that uploader as well, but I didn't realise you could organise the images in the window before committing.

Edit: Now I've had a play, it seems bloody obvious, so I'll pretend that wasn't in the first version I started using several years back. :)
Boink!

Post by Boink! »

For anyone interested, 500px.com has a Black Friday thing going on at the moment with their Awesome Account reduced from $49.95 to $24.95 (Plus Account is $19.95). You can downgrade at the end of the year to the Plus Account also.

Link
Ricardodaforce

Post by Ricardodaforce »

New iOS all now available. Like Twitter yesterday, it's jumped on the Instagram bandwagon by offering filters.
It's a big improvement though.
driver8

Post by driver8 »

Not such a big deal for most folks I imagine, but anyone received the email ?

Flickr Shared My Private Photos With Everyone
RobDickinson

Post by RobDickinson »

I dont have any private photos lol.

And the rest, well it seems getty are busy giving them away for free too...
X360 tag : RobJD
DeadYankee

Post by DeadYankee »

Have just returned to Flickr as I prefer it to 500px and the new storage limit and design is much more attractive IMO.

One thing I am missing since I last had a Flickr Pro account is the stats on listing where views derive from etc. Is that still available with the basic freebie account?
Woz

Post by Woz »

As far as I can tell, that's the ONLy advantage of a Pro account now.
(I'm still pro and hoping they make it better for us).
DeadYankee

Post by DeadYankee »

Ahh, I didn't even clock that a Pro account was even an option now. That's the "ad blocker" account is it?

Thanks for the info.
Deron

Post by Deron »

I notice flickr is built into ios7 now...

So you can instantly upload anything...
"If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win." Bill Shankly
500px
roar349

Post by roar349 »

DeadYankee wrote:Have just returned to Flickr as I prefer it to 500px and the new storage limit and design is much more attractive IMO.

One thing I am missing since I last had a Flickr Pro account is the stats on listing where views derive from etc. Is that still available with the basic freebie account?

I'd happily pay for the Pro account again for the Stats but can't see that it's available anymore :(
Rory's Flickr Page
PSN: roar349
XBL: Popovellis
Woz

Post by Woz »

roar349 wrote:I'd happily pay for the Pro account again for the Stats but can't see that it's available anymore :(

Hover over "You" at the top, click Stats :thumbs:
roar349

Post by roar349 »

Woz wrote:Hover over "You" at the top, click Stats :thumbs:

Not there on the free account
Rory's Flickr Page
PSN: roar349
XBL: Popovellis
queeg500

Post by queeg500 »

DeadYankee wrote:Ahh, I didn't even clock that a Pro account was even an option now. That's the "ad blocker" account is it?

Thanks for the info.

As far as I know, Pro accounts are only available to those who currently have Pro accounts. As a Pro subscriber, you can renew as Pro, but if you have a basic free member account I don't think Pro is an option. If you're ex-Pro currently with a free account, I don't know where that leaves you :?:

[SIZE="1"]*until they change their mind, I suppose[/SIZE]