What software do you use for managing your photos (not neccessarily editing)?

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

Stevie G

What software do you use for managing your photos (not neccessarily editing)?

Post by Stevie G »

I just wondered as I use Lightroom for post processing photos, but i find it's catalogue system awful for managing all my photos and I'd much rather have something that actually allows me to sort, navigate, etc more like Windows, ie using their actual locations rather than a catalogue and albums, etc. As a long time Windows user I prefer to navigate through the Windows file structure, but I find it hard to dod that and just edit single images with Lightroom as it wants to import the whole folder just to get to that point.

What do you all use, and what do you recommend, and why?
PSN Gamertag: NoMrMoreNiceGuy
It's all about the scrobbling...
driver8

Post by driver8 »

Google have stopped supporting Picasa but it's still available from (legit) download sites - it's intuitive and very fast.

I moved over from Picasa to LR over a period of about a year, gradually doing more and more with LR, leaving Picasa behind (now I occasionally use it for quick edits/collages and for finding old non-LR photos).

So I'd stick with LR if I were you. You can show the windows folder structure on the left hand side, and navigate as expected (although it can be a bit slow), and drag/drop photos between folders, rename folders/photos, etc.

As for importing - try dragging a single image from a folder into the LR import window ?