DSLR's redundant after iPhone 7?

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

Roy

DSLR's redundant after iPhone 7?

Post by Roy »

This isn't 100% what is being said in this article, but interesting nonetheless.

Personally I find it unlikely that you'd get as good results from an iPhone (at least not yet), although for many casual photographers it is more than good enough. They were unlikely to buy a DSSLR anyway though in reality....

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/31/ex-goo ... d-android/
To me, my basement!

Roy@Flickr
Q

Post by Q »

Roy wrote:This isn't 100% what is being said in this article, but interesting nonetheless.

Personally I find it unlikely that you'd get as good results from an iPhone (at least not yet), although for many casual photographers it is more than good enough. They were unlikely to buy a DSSLR anyway though in reality....

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/31/ex-goo ... d-android/
Anyone that thinks an iPhone 7 can replace a DSLR isn't a serious Photographer and isn't likely to know what a DSLR is,never mind actually own one.
Roy

Post by Roy »

Q wrote:Anyone that thinks an iPhone 7 can replace a DSLR isn't a serious Photographer and isn't likely to know what a DSLR is,never mind actually own one.
My thoughts exactly, bearing in mind this bloke was SVP with responsibility for photography services in Google :)

He can only mean to the casual photographer...
To me, my basement!

Roy@Flickr
ian turner

Post by ian turner »

That would be someone using a dslr with the stock lens and using the lcd panel for taking photos. Not going to be replacing a DSLR with a 500mm lens for a long time
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All important data is backed up. If you didn't back it up it wasn't important
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woz

Post by Woz »

Physics says that the sensor on an iPhone can't do what a DSLR can.
Computationally it can be emulated though...interesting to wonder if people will care that what they are seeing isn't reality? How far does it go...do we get photoshop-like blemish removal in real time...automatic amazing sunsets with no telegraph wires in shot...how long until the reality we see from our cameras isn't?
dataloss

Post by dataloss »

Your never get the detail, low light capability or shallow DOF from iPhone or any other mobile phone.
shteve

Post by shteve »

So that's where j-to-tha-lo went to.
I've got a signature and an avatar :p
Taq

Post by Taq »

My phone does me well enough for most things that aren't actually moving, but can't beat a DSLR for flexibility.
That said, a phone doesn't weigh several kilos :)
"Believe me, if I had to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself wouldn't be a problem." - Gabrielle, XWP
Flickr | YouTube| Stables |
basegreen

Post by basegreen »

My DSLR use has dropped 75% with the Iphone 7 plus (plus important due to dual lens and portrait mode)

Brilliant in most conditions and always on me.

SLR mostly used for epic zoom and very low light now.