[Board Gaming] Digital board games thread

Discuss board games here!
nutter45

[Board Gaming] Digital board games thread

Post by nutter45 »

Suburbia is another great iOS implementation to have a look at.
statto

Post by statto »

Regarding the Agricola strategy, it seems to be a really polarising game. Most of the haters criticise it saying that the game plays you and you have to do a bit of everything. Meanwhile people like Rahdo make the claim that anyone who says that doesn't understand the game properly.

Agricola haters and casual players then seem to like Caverna a lot more, whereas hardcore Agricola players find Caverna a pale shadow of Agricola, which takes the subtlety of the cards away from the game.
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

Yardmaster, which I was cursing missing on Kickstarter earlier in the year, has had an iOS release for £2.49. I haven't picked it up yet so can't comment on it, but from what I've read it seems decent.
"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega." - Brodie (Mallrats)
| Stejay on LastFM, Xbox Live, Steam, PSN, Nintendo & Game Center |
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

So, I've just bitten the bullet and picked up Yardmaster despite the description being a little sparse and the fact that there are on ratings or reviews for it on the app store yet.

It has offline play for up to five players, a mix of human and easy or hard AI, or online play for just two sadly. I've just had one quick game against the AI on easy and it was quite fun, and the presentation is really good. It doesn't have a tutorial, just what seems to be a PDF copy of the manual from the tabletop version to flick through which was only small on my iPad Mini and practically impossible to read on my iPhone. I'd already I watched a run through on YouTube before hand though and had no problems understanding what was going on and winning comfortably. It's a nice, fast simple game that I can see me playing a fair bit, especially if they up the player limit for online play at some point.
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

Has anyone else picked up Galaxy Trucker for the iPad? I haven't played the tabletop original, but this is one of the best digital board games I've played. It has a special launch price of £2.99 until next Sunday. Well worth picking up.
Torf

Post by Torf »

Never heard of it!

Will take a look tho :)
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

I've been aware of it for some time while not really not knowing a lot about it other than that it is quite highly rated. Looking at the entry for it on BGG it is supposed to take around an hour to play and seems to have a lot of components. Whilst I'll nearly always take a tabletop version of a game over a digital port, it does play a lot quicker on the iPad and obviously means you don't have to faff about with all those pieces.

Woah, it is also around £50 for the tabletop version too!
Wendelius

Post by Wendelius »

The tabletop version of Galaxy Trucker is awesome fun. I play it regularly with the kids, and the mad scramble to find the pieces is a big part of the fun. Competing with other people at the table also adds to the pressure and you end up with very strange ships. It's a tactile experience and I'm pretty sure the digital version would lose a lot in comparison. But good to hear it's a fun experience in its own right.

Wendelius
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

I don't know how long for, but the iOS port of Talisman is just 69p at the moment. It's a universal app too.
Joober

Post by Joober »

Sold! Love this game, thanks for the heads up :D
Forum Moderator
Torf

Post by Torf »

I've been playing a lot of Agricola on iOS recently. It's a great conversion and the solo series mode is fantastic for honing strategies and figuring out the better occupations and improvements. It's due a price drop soon (seems to be every three months or so). I'll shout again when it does.
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

Chainsaw Warrior for both iOS and Steam is half price until tomorrow evening.
nutter45

Post by nutter45 »

Not exactly a board game but I'm hopelessly addicted to Marvel Puzzle Quest at the moment :help:
Torf

Post by Torf »

Agricola now down to £1.99 (from £4.99) on the appstore.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/agricola/id561521557?mt=8

Cracking conversion of a very deep game. The I and K deck cards are also reduced from £1.49 to 69p. These are more complex decks of occupation and improvement cards that expand the game substantially.
Torf

Post by Torf »

Decent sale on of Codito's apps. Lots from Reiner Knizia on offer for 69p! Most/all are for both iphone and ios. The tutorials and adaptation from the board game are generally very good, so even if you haven't played the physical version of these, then they're definitely worth a look at this price.

Ra - Bidding / auction game

Le Havre - Similarities to Puerto Rico

Medici - Bidding / auction game

A Brief history of the world

Tigris & Euphrates - Deep strategy game
nutter45

Post by nutter45 »

Thanks torf. I've got Le Havre and T&E but will give the others a go. Rude not to at that price :thumbs:
Torf

Post by Torf »

Talisman is down to 69p.
Torf

Post by Torf »

Caylus has dropped to £1.99
KeyserSoze

Post by KeyserSoze »

Thought you guys might be interested in Trouble with Robots. App and IAP is all free at the moment
nutter45

Post by nutter45 »

Thanks , quite like that :thumbs: