Investing a large sum of money ?

A forum for financial discussions. Please note that no posts in this forum constitute advice from The DVD Forums and proper financial advice should be taken before commiting to any financial product.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

jockosjungle

Post by jockosjungle »

Yes absolutely you should. I was comparing the 0.5% I get in my market leading Marcus savings account with the potential wins in stocks and shares. I'd hope to be getting 5% or so to be honest. So anything above that is a win for me and my pathetic savings.
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

jockosjungle wrote:You've got about 3 weeks to use your ISA limit, £20k in stocks and shares (sorry Kryten, I think you're US based)
Yeah, US based now so ex-pat. Certainly not eligible for an ISA. I have all my GBP in a non-interest bearing bank account. I need to spread it out as am over the FSCS limit for a single account I think. I just wish exchange rates would go back to $2 to the pound LOL
Forum Administrator
The Digital Fix
jockosjungle

Post by jockosjungle »

Think that is a long way off, but it puts me off US shares a little, as you're fighting both the stock market and a potentially rising UK pound. Just seems to be the wrong time to be buying US anything
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

jockosjungle wrote:Think that is a long way off, but it puts me off US shares a little, as you're fighting both the stock market and a potentially rising UK pound. Just seems to be the wrong time to be buying US anything
But for those of us in the other situation it may be a good time to buy UK assets :D
Forum Administrator
The Digital Fix
jockosjungle

Post by jockosjungle »

Yes a sensational time to do so.
AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

Probably going to jinx it now but ... the £20k, invested at the start of Feb, is currently sitting at £20.5k - and has had a similar size dip in that time.

Weirdly, my OH's £20k - invested in the same fund but two days later - is lagging £200 behind
jockosjungle

Post by jockosjungle »

Put £1500 for the kids in at the beginning of March into a kids ISA, already up £100!
AdamBrunt

Re: Investing a large sum of money ?

Post by AdamBrunt »

Stupid question ...

Do you have to inform HMRC how much you have in ISAs ? Or does the investment company do that for you ?
Stevie G

Re: Investing a large sum of money ?

Post by Stevie G »

Pretty sure you don't need to mention ISAs to HMRC as they're tax free savings. We never do, they usually want summaries of yoru interest, etc on normal accounts but not ISAs