Anyone use Android Auto?

Discuss all things related to mobile phones and sat nav here. Also can be used to discuss mobile phone suppliers and retailers.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

Anyone use Android Auto?

Postby simplemick » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:07 pm

I have just picked up a new car which has Android Auto integrated into it. THe problem is that it doesn't work properly and I can't seem to turn it off.

The problem is that everytime I connect my phone (S20 Plus) via USB cable it connects automatically, and if its connected then I cannot hear anyone when making phone calls and they cannot hear me.

I have tried removing it from the car and phone and just using bluetooth which is OK, but i want to plug it in to charge the phone.

I have googled and there are people with the same problem, but no one seems to offer a solution, anyone with ay experience on here?
What? No! We can't stop here! This is bat country!
simplemick

Postby Kryten » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:13 pm

I have no experience with Android Auto, but for Apple CarPlay when I make a call via CarPlay it uses the CarPlay audio for the call so I can hear and they can hear me. Seems like your Android Auto is not doing that? Are you making the call via Android Auto?

Also on my car I can set it to not load automatically into CarPlay and also in CarPlay there is an icon I can click that takes me back to the manufacturers software (that I never actually use as CarPlay works so well in general, only negative for CarPlay is that the navigation does not go to the Head Up Display :| Apple offers that feature but no manufacturers use it).
Forum Administrator
The Digital Fix
Kryten

Postby Barnacle » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:32 pm

I've had issues with Android Auto when plugging in via USB on a Nissan X-Trail. I couldn't get the navigation working at all (it went all pear-shaped). So I just plugged the charging cable into the cigarette lighter socket instead of the car's USB socket (and used the navigation from the phone)
Barnacle

Postby Wooglie » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:40 pm

You can also get USB cables that only send power and not data.
Wooglie

Postby simplemick » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:24 pm

Everything else works great. Waze for navigation, i use Media Monkey which works well for audio etc, Beyond Pod also works well.

It doesn't matter if I make the call via Android Auto or phone, although when doing it via Android Auto the phone screen doesn't change so it almost looks like its not calling (although the person on the other end picks up) either way no audio during calls.

I have tried turning auto connection off in the car but as soon as you plug in the phone it reverts back and connects.

Renault helpline is useless, and I can almost hear the dealer blaming the phone rather than the car if/when I take it back.

Wooglie wrote:You can also get USB cables that only send power and not data.

Do you have a link? Thanks. :thumbs:
simplemick

Postby Wooglie » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:59 pm

simplemick wrote:Do you have a link? Thanks. :thumbs:
This is a USB C one

<a data-source="forums" data-type="Amazon UK" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B082WDHS22/digital.fix-21" class="affiliatelink">Amazon</a>
Wooglie

Postby belgarion_v » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:14 pm

Having recently bought a car which had Android Auto, I must say its underwhelming. I used to use in on the phone itself several years ago and its not really moved on much from then.

Interface for music apps is annoying at best. Only a slightly better using Bluetooth for music access directly.

Vince
belgarion_v

Postby simplemick » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:18 pm

Wooglie wrote:This is a USB C one

<a data-source="forums" data-type="Amazon UK" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B082WDHS22/digital.fix-21" class="affiliatelink">Amazon</a>

Brill, thank you.
simplemick

Postby Gragis » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:52 am

I have a Nissan Qashqai (2020 model). Android auto works for telephone calls etc but Google maps is a waste of time. It works for maybe 1 mile then freezes and locks the system. I have to unplug to restart it. My son has a Skoda Fabia and raves about how good Google maps etc is on Android auto.
Gragis

Postby simplemick » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:04 am

Wooglie wrote:This is a USB C one

Arrived this morning and it does what it says on the tin, phone plugged in and the car does nothing.

Thank you!!
simplemick

Return to Mobile Phone and Satellite Navigation Forum