What were the last 3 films you watched: Thread 3

Discuss films here. There is also a sub-forum to discuss specific aspects of DVD and Blu-ray releases of films, but all discussion of film plot points and casting should be kept in the main forum.

Moderators: cjanderson, The Bear, Bish, Kryten, driver8

aprout
Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs

Re: What were the last 3 films you watched: Thread 3

Post by aprout »

A Scott Adkins triple bill:

ACCIDENT MAN
Adkins is a professional assassin who has gained a reputation for making all his kills look like accidents, hence the titular nickname. When his ex-girlfriend is murdered, he goes on a roaring rampage to discover who was responsible. Hugely entertaining & surprisingly funny action flick based on the comic by Pat Mills with a supporting cast full of familiar faces, including Ray Stevenson, Michael Jai White, Ray Park, Nick Moran & David Paymer. Adkins isn't a great actor, but the fight scenes are some of the best I've seen him in on film, & most of them are all shot really well too, with none of the quick-cut nonsense that usually spoils these type of flicks. Highly recommended. :thumbs:

ONE SHOT
Adkins is the leader of a team of Navy SEALS sent to a remote blacksite to pick up a terrorist who may have knowledge of 'the next 9/11'. Alas, his mission goes pear-shaped when a bunch of mercenaries turn up looking for the same guy. As the title suggests, it's all filmed to look like it was done in one long 90 minute take, & it largely succeeds on this level. The action's not too bad, & Ryan Phillippe pops up occasionally to keep the mortgage paid, but Adkins' usual combat skills are somewhat sidelined in favour of a lot of running & shooting. It's a bit like watching someone play a third-person shooter game & it all gets a bit samey after a while, but overall, not bad at all.

LEGACY OF LIES
Adkins is an ex-MI6 agent who goes up against the KGB after they kidnap his daughter and… erm, well, honestly? I watched this two weeks ago & have absolutely no memory of it at all. I had to look it up on Wikipedia, read the synopsis, &… nope, still don't remember any of it. No Legacy for me. Not a good sign. :doh:
aprout
Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs

Post by aprout »

THE SADNESS
In China, there's been an outbreak of a virus which turns the population into a bunch of sex-crazed homicidal maniacs. One young chap tries desperately to get to his girlfriend on the other side of the city, while she tries to escape the clutches of the perv who sits next to her in the tube. With possibly the most misleading title ever, it's a no-nonsense, fast-zombie bloodbath which rattles along without pausing for breath for most of its runtime. The acting performances range from solid to completely rubbish, but it's unbelievably gory to the degree that it becomes absolutely hilarious at times. Great fun if you're in the right mood.

STEELE JUSTICE
Martin Kove is John Steele, a Vietnam veteran turned disgraced cop now working for the 'Bureau of Wild Horse Management' (it's completely irrelevant to the story, but it made me laugh out loud when I saw it painted on the side of his truck. I want to see a movie about that government agency!). Anyhoo, when his ex-partner is killed by drug dealers with connections in high places, there's only one kind of justice… Steele Justice! It's 1987, so naturally, our hero has a pet snake & an unlimited supply of guns & ammo, plus multiple bandoliers to wear over his bare chest to make himself look extra badass. It's cheese to the absolute max, but Kove is good value for money, pretty much everything explodes or gets shot up, & a young Sela Ward looks very good indeed. Low-rent 80's action movie fun. It even gets the classic hard rock tune with lyrics about the movie over the end credits! :clap:

BLACKLIGHT
Liam Neeson is a freelance FBI 'fixer' with OCD who wants to retire & spend more time with his granddaughter. Alas, boss Aidan Quinn is reluctant to let him go & a reporter is snooping around the mysterious death of a political figure. You get the feeling this was once a tight, 70's style conspiracy thriller & then Neeson was brought onboard & the writers were told to add car chases, gunfights & explosions. Neeson's his usual reliable self, but even he is starting to look tired & a bit bored with it all. Most of the action is quite poor, save one shoot-out in a house & the ending makes no sense at all. It's directed by the same guy who did Neeson's Honest Thief, so you know what to expect. Not completely terrible, but not very good either.
cjanderson

Post by cjanderson »

Went to see top gun maverick last week, I really enjoyed it.

Jurassic world 3 tomorrow hopefully!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jez

Post by Jez »

Watched Spiderhead on Friday, was okay worth a watch. Not terrible and seemed to go quite quickly.
cjanderson

Post by cjanderson »

Jurassic world 3 was very meh. 3/5. Mild peril happened. Hopefully that’s it now for the series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk