What were the last 3 films you watched: Thread 3

Discuss films here. There is also a sub-forum to discuss specific aspects of DVD and Blu-ray releases of films, but all discussion of film plot points and casting should be kept in the main forum.

Moderators: The Bear, Bish, Kryten, driver8, cjanderson

aprout
Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs

Post by aprout »

Locked Down
Anne Hathaway and Chiwetel Ejiofor are a couple on the verge of breaking up, stuck together in lockdown & both looking to change their lives. She's a corporate manager sick of her job, he's an ex-con with little in the way of prospects. Written by Steven Knight & directed by Doug Liman, it's been marketed as a romantic comedy heist movie. It's not. It's a relationship drama with a couple of laughs and a robbery tacked on at the end of its lengthy 2-hour running time. The two leads are very good & various famous faces (Ben Stiller, Stephen Merchant, Mark Gatiss, Dule Hill) pop up occasionally on zoom calls, but it's a bit of slog & the 'heist' is so easy & inconsequential you get the feeling it's only there because the filmmakers didn't know how to conclude the story properly. The most interesting thing about it is getting to look behind the scenes of Harrods during the pandemic (though why isn't ANYONE in there wearing a mask? :shrug:).

Horizon Line
An estranged couple on their way to a wedding find themselves in a world of trouble when the pilot of their light aircraft drops dead mid-flight. With no autopilot, no sign of land, a storm front approaching & no idea how to land a plane, will they survive? What starts off as a slightly tense, claustrophobic thriller just gets sillier as it goes on. I'm no expert on aviation, but I'm pretty sure climbing around on the outside of a small plane while it's still flying might have some effect on its stability. Apparently not. Oh, & for the love of Jebus, if you're going to go out there, tie your frickin' hair back! Allison Williams & Alexander Dreymon star, while Pearl Mackie & Keith David pop up in brief supporting roles. Not terrible, but not that good either.

The Taking of Beverly Hills
A chemical truck crashes in Beverly Hills, spilling its toxic load. The citizens are all evacuated for their own safety, but wait! It's all a big scam so evil Robert Davi can rob the entire neighbourhood! Only pro footballer Ken Wahl & his mighty mullet can stop him! Incredibly OTT early nineties action flick full of cheesy one-liners, explosions and car crashes. Matt Frewer adds some comic relief as a cowardly cop &, as always, Davi gives good villain. Bonus points for the 'where the **** did that come from?' SWAT tank that gets driven through at least five houses while shooting high explosives at our hero. Loved it. :notworthy
fivebyfive

Post by fivebyfive »

Greenland
It was ok, some really hate it. It was just average, like a MS style template auto generator did it

5/10

The rental
Another amazon video film, it was ****. Alison brie deserves better (maybe not do films because your husband is the director) The cast are fine but they can't fix a **** script and the ending was lazy and dumb

1/10
"Eat the multi-billion dollar corporate slop and pretend it's social justice, you weirdos"
jmdomain

Post by jmdomain »

News of the World - 7/10

Logan Lucky - 6/10

Walkabout - 8/10
jmdomain

Post by jmdomain »

Sator - 6/10

Willy's Wonderland - 6/10

October Sky - 6/10
driver8

Post by driver8 »

It's the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine) ...

Annihilation (2018) - unrealistic even for scifi, and some of the CGI is off, but the acting is good and I enjoyed the ride. Classic Garland, 7/10

Bird Box (2018) - Sandra Bullock's face was distracting (plastic surgery, jungle make-up) but other than a daftly portrayed ending, it was tense and engaging, with that cool Reznor soundtrack. 7/10

Contagion (2011) - Amazing cast of A-list actors, and the film runs like an unstoppable steam-train. So many parallels with how Covid-19 was to unfold a decade later. A must-watch, interesting and compelling. 8/10
Raigmore

Post by Raigmore »

driver8 wrote:Contagion (2011)[/URL] - Amazing cast of A-list actors, and the film runs like an unstoppable steam-train. So many parallels with how Covid-19 was to unfold a decade later. A must-watch, interesting and compelling. 8/10
Agree to this. I am not normally a fan of "Soddy" but this one was very good. Especially the Jennifer Ehle's stand out character. Something very British about it even though it was set mainly in America.

Matt Damon, Marion Cotillard, Kate Winslet and Laurence Fishburne were also very good, as were most of the supporting cast. The film is especially relevant now, for obvious reasons.
aprout

Post by aprout »

Wrong Turn (2021)
The writer of the original Wrong Turn reboots the franchise that started well but got cheaper & more irritating as it went on. This time round, inbred cannibal hillbillies are out, replaced by an isolated civilisation that's been living in the mountains for centuries. When three hipster couples walking the Appalachian Trail ignore the warnings of the locals to stick to the path & decide to wander into the woods, things do not go well.

It's well made & generally well acted, but nothing that happens makes any sense if you think about it for more than a minute & the gore is oddly inconsistent, like they were only allowed to show a certain amount of blood & decided to spread it out across the movie rather than show it when it was warranted. Matthew Modine attempts to add a bit of class to the proceedings as a dad looking for his lost daughter, but even he couldn't stop me from shouting at the screen every ten minutes. Oh, & the potentially most interesting bit of the whole film takes place in a long shot under the end credits. WTF? Stupid, illogical, irritating, pointless.

ps. Bonus stupid points for the leader of the antagonists' look & hair - while his entire tribe is filthy & has rough, stringy birdnests on their heads, he looks like he's just been to the spa & had his hair & beard done by Vidal Sassoon that morning. :brickwall :razz:

Monster Hunter
Director Paul WS Anderson & his muse Milla Jovovich return with another OTT actioner based on a videogame. Wait! Come back! Milla's the leader of a group of soldiers who are magically transported to another world. A world full of… Monsters! I've never played the game so I've no idea how faithful any of this is to it, but there's very much a case of different 'Levels' here: Caves, Desert, Jungle, Boss. Milla's watchable as ever, she's ably supported by Tony Jaa, the action is quite frenetic & the effects are generally top-notch. The bits with Ron Perlman as a pirate (?) seem to have wandered in from another movie, but I'm sure they'll be explained in the sequels they're clearly trying to set up at the end. Good fun overall, & I really liked the 80s synth score, which I assume is based on the game.

Life After The Navigator
Documentary from the makers of Life After Flash about the making of '80s kids classic Flight of the Navigator & the, erm, 'eventful' life of its star, Joey Cramer. Full of interviews with pretty much everyone you'd want to hear from about the film (the only major MIA is Sarah Jessica Parker) & lots of raw emotion from Cramer. Very well put together & surprisingly touching. Recommended for fans.
fivebyfive

Post by fivebyfive »

The complex: Lockdown

its actually the FMV choices from the game, was not bad. Better acted than some b-tier films

3.5/5

Bill and Ted: face the music

This was just sad, keanu and winter are too old for being bill and ted and felt like keanu had to do it. The daughters were terrible, Samara Weaving is better than this. Felt cheap (the robot looked like something from 90's power rangers) and terrible end for the films

1/5
"Eat the multi-billion dollar corporate slop and pretend it's social justice, you weirdos"
cjanderson

Post by cjanderson »

I saw bill and ted at the cinema (cleaner coming, there was really nothing else) and i really hated it. Though I did like the 2 daughters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

aprout wrote: Monster Hunter
Director Paul WS Anderson & his muse Milla Jovovich return with another OTT actioner based on a videogame. Wait! Come back! Milla's the leader of a group of soldiers who are magically transported to another world. A world full of… Monsters! I've never played the game so I've no idea how faithful any of this is to it, but there's very much a case of different 'Levels' here: Caves, Desert, Jungle, Boss. Milla's watchable as ever, she's ably supported by Tony Jaa, the action is quite frenetic & the effects are generally top-notch. The bits with Ron Perlman as a pirate (?) seem to have wandered in from another movie, but I'm sure they'll be explained in the sequels they're clearly trying to set up at the end. Good fun overall, & I really liked the 80s synth score, which I assume is based on the game.
I've played the game a bit - not to a great extent mind - and I am not sure the game has any of the two worlds stuff; I am assuming the monster names/appearances are taken from the game though.

It certainly wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be and the effects, on the whole, are very good but the Avengers rip-off scene, at the end, looked pretty bad to me.
jmdomain

Post by jmdomain »

The Dig - 6/10

Boss Level - 5/10

Coming 2 America - 4/10
aprout

Re: What were the last 3 films you watched: Thread 3

Post by aprout »

The Misfits
Ageing conman Pierce Brosnan is drafted into a ragtag group of thieves to rob evil prison impresario Tim Roth in Abu Dhabi. 'Crazy' shenanigans ensue as the former Bond creepily flirts with (30-years-his-junior) Jamie Chung & somehow puts up with Nick Cannon's ludicrous disguises & 'comedy' characters while trying to reconnect with his daughter. Most of it looks like a tourist infomercial for the UAE, & both Brosnan & Roth look like they're only there because their agents offered them a sunny holiday, but it's fun in places & Brosnan's watchable in just about anything. The biggest surprise was seeing Renny Harlin's name as director in the end credits. How the mighty have fallen… I'd be amazed if I remember anything about it tomorrow, but it passed 90 minutes quite painlessly.

Way Down (AKA The Vault)
Genius student Freddie Highmore is drafted into a ragtag group of thieves to rob an impenetrable vault with an unusual security system in the Bank of Spain during the 2010 World Cup. Slick heist thriller with some great cinematography & a fair bit if tension during the robbery that takes up the last third of the movie. Highmore feels a bit miscast, mainly because he still looks & talks like he's about 12, but Liam Cunningham & Sam Riley add some decent support, & Famke Janssen makes a brief appearance with a bizarre English accent & wayyyy too much botox in her face. Liked it a lot. Recommended for fans of the genre.

Infinite
Mark Wahlberg is drafted into a shadowy group of heroes when he discovers he's an 'Infinite' - a soul that has been reincarnated over and over, but retains the memories of all his past lives & the skills that come with them. Meanwhile, evil Infinite Chewitel Ejiofor has had enough of this eternal existence malarky & is trying to find a macguffin that will allow him to snuff out all life on earth, including his own. Wahlberg looks rightly confused throughout, but Ejiofor seems to be having a great time chewing the scenery, Jason Mantzoukas pops up in a film-stealing cameo, there's loads of action, & even if there's a slightly incoherent feel to the whole thing, like it's been cut down from a much longer film, it rattles along at such a pace it's hard to care. Plus, there's some nice real-world carnage & stunts in amongst the waves of OTT CGI. Antoine Fuqua directs. A bit of a mess, but good, dumb, fun.
The Bear

Post by The Bear »

Yeah Famke Janssen has definitely ruined her face with plastic surgery.
cjanderson

Post by cjanderson »

I saw fast and Furious 9. oh it was SOO silly, i laughed at several of the key set pieces :D a lot.

but overall i enjoyed it and the various charachters are good, even Helen Mirren is clearly having fun!
The Bear

Post by The Bear »

Quiet Place 2.

Enjoyed it almost as much as the first. Very well done again and was impressed with Krasinski's directing.
cjanderson

Post by cjanderson »

I also watched the Zack snyder version of justice league last night.

Which was long. I barely remember the first version but this seemed okay. Just a lot of arty shots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aprout

Post by aprout »

Willy's Wonderland
Ever wanted to watch Nicolas Cage do some cleaning? Ever wanted to watch Nicolas Cage play pinball? Ever wanted to watch Nicolas Cage beat up children's party mascots? This is the film for you! After his car breaks down in a small town, man with no cash Cage is offered the chance to pay off his debt by spending the night cleaning up the old abandoned funhouse Willy's Wonderland. Alas, it's populated by demonically possessed mechanical puppets & our Nic is forced to fight for his life. Utterly bizarre, completely OTT no-budget gonzo horror with a totally mute & emotionless Cage going about his business like it happens to him every day (I presume this is what the inside of his mind looks like in real life) while a bunch of local kids attempt to 'rescue' him. Weird, disturbing, kinda rubbish, but also kinda hilarious. Give it five years & the Prince Charles Cinema will probably be doing weekly midnight shows with audience participation.

The Marksman
Liam Neeson is a grumpy ex-marine turned rancher living along the US/Mexico border who likes to report illegal immigrants in his spare time. When a mother & son on the run come across his path, he finds himself in a battle with a drug Cartel as he tries to get the boy to his family in Chicago. Contrary to all the advertising, it's less of an action thriller, more of a downbeat, ponderous road movie with the occasional burst of gunfire. Neeson's his usual reliable self, the kid's not too irritating & Katheryn Winnick puts in a nice supporting turn as Liam's daughter-in-law. The one-note badguys are ripped straight out of Trump's big book of Evil Mexican cliches, but the brief bits of action are well handled, there's some lovely sunsets & I liked the score. Not bad at all, & certainly a lot better than…

The Ice Road
When a bunch of miners are trapped underground after a cave-in & rapidly running out of air, someone needs to deliver some rescue equipment ASAP. Who ya gonna call? Liam frickin' Neeson of course! He & his fellow truckers head out on the titular road, but the quickly melting ice may not be their only obstacle… Writer/director Jonathan Hensleigh clearly watched Ice Road Truckers on TV & thought, 'Hey, we could make a movie out of that!'. Alas, it's a plodding adventure & most of the action is so thuddingly dull & tension-free you wonder why they bothered. Liam is Liam, though his character chews a toothpick, so that's something new for him. Unfortunately, this time round he doesn't have a particular set of skills, so any fight scenes he has are like watching drunk old men going at each other in a pub car park (a fistfight towards the end is especially, hilariously, inept). There's some pretty winter scenery & Laurence Fishburne adds a brief bit of class, but overall, woefully underwhelming. Pity really, it's solid idea & the trailer was great.
aprout

Post by aprout »

Back from the depths, here's some more tat I've watched recently...

APEX
In the near future, rich douchebags hunt prisoners on a remote island for sport. This week's target: Bruce Willis. I love a good Most Dangerous Game/Hard Target movie, but this is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Neal McDonagh is the chief douchebag & seems to be enjoying chewing the scenery, but the rest of the cast make no impression at all & Willis spends most of the running time wandering in the woods in a bright red jacket which apparently nobody can see. A couple of vaguely inventive sci-fi twists aside, it's poorly paced, written, directed & acted. The only good bit of the film is when they actually acknowledge the fact that Willis is 66 years old & not in great shape, & then go on to list the injuries he's survived - which are all from previous Willis movies ("He hurt his back jumping off a building. He was the sole survivor of a train crash" etc). Other than that one brief spark of wit, absolutely rubbish.

DEADLOCK
When his son is killed by corrupt cops in a botched drug raid, Bruce Willis hires a bunch of mercenaries to take over the local hydroelectric power station to get some justice. Only ex-military man turned rogue welder Patrick Muldoon can stop him! Yep, it's Redneck Die Hard on a dam, with John McClane as the bad guy. Bargain basement action flick that really looks like a student film that somehow managed to get an A-list star to cameo. Rubbish CGI blood & muzzle flashes abound, & as you'd expect, Willis looks bored & is clearly only there for the money. Muldoon is a terrible actor & not a much better at the action stuff, but looks excited to be in something other than a Hallmark Christmas movie & be allowed to swear every ten minutes. I hope everyone in it was well paid, but I expect most of the budget went to our Bruce. Utterly terrible. Avoid.

DEATH VALLEY
A team of mercenaries is sent to a remote underground bunker to rescue a scientist & her research material. Unfortunately, it's also being targeted by the local militia & there's something inhuman wandering the corridors & killing everything that crosses its path. Surprisingly good low budget action/horror that liberally steals from a bunch of much better movies, but it rattles along at a decent pace & the no-name cast, creature design, action & gore are all pretty solid. This was clearly a family affair for director Matthew Ninaber as most of the cast & crew have the same surname & multiple jobs (it's not often you get the director also being listed as actor, writer, set designer, set builder, editor, creature performer & stuntman), & while I couldn't say it was brilliant by any stretch, it was much better than expected. Well worth a look.
aprout

Post by aprout »

& 3 more.

CASTLE FALLS
Dolph Lundgren directs & stars alongside Scott Adkins in this low-rent action flick about a bunch of people all trying to find a stash of stolen money in an abandoned hospital. The twist? It's going to be demolished in 90 minutes. Dolph's a prison guard trying to pay for his daughter's medical bills & Adkins is a kickboxer with a bum shoulder who's down on his luck. Throw in a psychotic gang of criminals & it should be a fun ride. The two leads are about as good as you'd expect them to be & there are a couple of decent fight scenes, but the whole thing feels quite underpowered & takes itself way too seriously. It passed 90 minutes quite painlessly, but a few more laughs & a bit of tension wouldn't have gone amiss.

TRIGGERED
A bunch of obnoxious 20-somethings camping in the woods wake up to find themselves strapped into explosive vests with timers slowly ticking down. When your time runs out: Boom! However, if you kill someone, you get their time. Will these 'friends' turn on each other in order to survive? What do you think? A solid premise is let down by mostly unlikable characters & a wildly uneven tone - to the point I couldn't figure out if it was supposed to be a spoof or not. It's very bloody & violent, but there's absolutely no-one to root for & I honestly hoped they'd all explode sooner than they did.

IRRESISTIBLE
In the wake of Trump's election in 2016, Steve Carrell's political consultant sees a way to restore the Democratic Party's fortunes by getting small-town farmer Chris Cooper elected Mayor. Alas, his Republican arch-rival Rose Byrne gets wind of his plan & will go to any lengths to stop him. Hugely entertaining & very funny political comedy written and directed by Jon Stewart, with some serious points to be made about the insanity of the US political process. The supporting cast includes MacKenzie Davis, Topher Grace & Natasha Lyonne, & everyone's on top form. Even if you have no interest in American politics, highly recommended. :thumbs:
aprout

Post by aprout »

THE KINDRED (1987)
On her deathbed, mad scientist mom asks her sensible scientist son to go to her country home & destroy all her research. Oh, & by the way, you have a brother called Anthony that I've never mentioned before. So, our hero heads to the family estate with his team of interns, his girlfriend & a random woman he met at the funeral (Hey, she's hot & has a British accent, she must be trustworthy, right?). Once there, they discover Anthony is a giant hybrid half man/half sea creature that mom clearly thought was a good idea to cook up (four times!) & he's not very happy. Carnage ensues. Incredibly silly '80s rubber monster movie with so many daft moments I lost count (highlights include Amanda Pays turning into a fish for no apparent reason & one of the interns deciding to blow up the house without telling anyone else). Rod Steiger pops up occasionally as an evil rival scientist with a hilarious wig & a look on his face that says: 'Has my career really come to this?'. He also has a basement full of monsters that are seen once but never explained or referenced again. Hadn't seen it since the VHS days, but absolutely loved it.

WHISPER TO A SCREAM (aka The Offspring. 1987)
Welcome to Oldfield, a town full of darkness & evil. Listen to kindly old librarian Vincent Price as he tells us four tales of terror.
First up, a weird man asks a co-worker out on a date, but when she spurns his advances, he murders her & shags the corpse. Nine months later… Oops!
Next, we find a small time crook on the run in the 1950s who meets a seemingly immortal guy in a swamp who saves his life. Naturally, being a small time crook, he betrays his saviour & tries to steal the secret to eternal life. Hmm, wonder how that'll go?
Then there's the story of a freakshow glass eater who falls in love & tries to leave, but is stopped by the voodoo powers of the carnival's owner. Things do not end well.
& finally, we have the story of some civil war soldiers who come across a town run by children & are held prisoner by the adorable little muppets until 'The Magistrate' can decide their fate.
Well made, but largely dull portmanteau horror with decent (ish) performances throughout & some fun effects & splatter sprinkled throughout. Not bad as such, but not particularly great either. It just made me want to watch the much better Amicus anthologies again.

JOHN AND THE HOLE (2021)
Blank-faced 13 year old psycho John decides he wants to be an adult, so he drugs his entire family (including Michael C. Hall & Jennifer Ehle), dumps them in an abandoned bunker in the woods and takes a few days eating junk food, playing videogames, spending their cash, driving their cars & generally acting like a complete asshat. & that's not before he tries to drown his mate for fun & hit on his mum's 50 year old friend. Utterly utterly utterly WTF? of a movie with no ending or consequences for seemingly anything that happens, plus random bits with a different family thrown in for good measure & a title card that doesn't appear until 30 minutes in. It's very well shot & scored, but whatever the filmmakers were going for, it didn't work for me at all. Self indulgent arthouse wankery at its most pointless.