Stowaway (2021)

Discuss films here. There is also a sub-forum to discuss specific aspects of DVD and Blu-ray releases of films, but all discussion of film plot points and casting should be kept in the main forum.

Moderator: Alan b

Raigmore

Stowaway (2021)

Post by Raigmore »

I saw the film Stowaway diected by Joe Penna (who also directed Arctic) that's currently available on Netflix. I liked it so much that I ordered the only BD available - from Germany, but with English audio option - and saw it again. I am very surprised with the mediocre reviews because it is extremely well made and acted with Anna Kendrick absolutely superb. I think the problem is that it is categorized as a sci-fi film but the storyline will not appeal to typical sci-fi afficionados because it lacks 'action'. At the same time, those who don't like sci-fi films will take one look at the spacesuits and the journey-to-Mars plot and move on.

I thought it was a very human, poignant drama and would recommend it to anyone.
Boink!

Re: Stowaway (2021)

Post by Boink! »

Thanks for the review, will give it a watch.
Raigmore

Re: Stowaway (2021)

Post by Raigmore »

Boink! wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:44 pm Thanks for the review, will give it a watch.
I'd like to hear your views afterwards.

One thing; Penna has made the 4 protagonists follow method-acting and so the dialogue is low key and very conversational. It'll help if you keep the volume just a notch above what you are used to. There are no bang-bangs and so you are not likely to disturb the family.

In any case, the plot is very simple and the story easy to follow.