Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Discuss films here. There is also a sub-forum to discuss specific aspects of DVD and Blu-ray releases of films, but all discussion of film plot points and casting should be kept in the main forum.

Moderator: Alan b

Sneeka

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Post by Sneeka »

Surprised this hasn't got a thread yet.

It's getting some really odd 1 and 2 star reviews on the major sites, with reviewers appearing to still hold the 2016 reboot/disaster in some high regard.

Put me firmly in the Loved It camp. The opening sequence alone gave me all sorts of goosebumps. Definitely a way better balance of comedy and genuine creep/jump scares throughout.

I'm still undecided whether Paul Rudd was a good casting or not though, think I would have probably preferred someone a little less known in the role.

Anyway, big thumbs up here. Catch it on the big screen if you can.

Jabbitt

Re: Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Post by Jabbitt »

As a huge Ghostbusters fan, this was made for me and the wife. (I like the 2016 reboot as well)

I was nearly in tears during the first ghost catching sequence. (Probably nostalgia overload) and that ending... The tears started again.

If there's any criticism, then it's the fact it does feel like a remake towards the end following the same plot points as the original but I can't deny I loved it to bits and I can't wait to see it again.

Sent from my M2007J17G using Tapatalk

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!"
sharp_circle

Post by sharp_circle »

Jabbitt wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:31 pm As a huge Ghostbusters fan, this was made for me and the wife. (I like the 2016 reboot as well)

I was nearly in tears during the first ghost catching sequence. (Probably nostalgia overload) and that ending... The tears started again.

If there's any criticism, then it's the fact it does feel like a remake towards the end following the same plot points as the original but I can't deny I loved it to bits and I can't wait to see it again.

Sent from my M2007J17G using Tapatalk
This gives me hope. I was pretty devastated to see some of the reviews coming out and was hoping that real fans would still enjoy it!
Xeon007

Post by Xeon007 »

Saw this Friday, yep it was a pleasant surprise. I'd not seen the third film so can't compare.
eye__writ

Post by eye__writ »

As soon as I heard Kermode's butt-hurt review, I knew it would be good.
Jez

Post by Jez »

Really do not get the hate for this I find it really odd.

It’s perfectly enjoyable watch.
Up the Villa!
cliff homewood

Post by cliff homewood »

That's how I felt about the female version!
Arthur Fowler

Post by Arthur Fowler »

eye__writ wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:00 pm As soon as I heard Kermode's butt-hurt review, I knew it would be good.
What does that mean? Kermode expressed an opinion that you didn't agree with?

Saw it today. Entirely average in my opinion.
aprout
Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs

Post by aprout »

Caught this last night. Yes, it's largely a nostalgia-fest, but I thought it was hugely enjoyable. The sound of the proton pack powering up the first time it was switched on made my spine tingle & I definitely got something in my eye at the end.

Don't forget to sit all the way through the end credits. There's mid-credits & end-of-credits stings, & 95% of the audience I saw it with missed the latter.

Surprised Kermode gave it such a slagging as he's usually pretty fair, but he & Mayo both said the original was a bit rubbish now too, so their opinions clearly don't matter in this case. :razz:
eye__writ

Post by eye__writ »

Arthur Fowler wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:47 pm
eye__writ wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:00 pm As soon as I heard Kermode's butt-hurt review, I knew it would be good.
Nope.

It means that he delivered his opinion with an emphasis on, "the fans deserve a bad film for how they reacted to the 2016 Ghostbusters". His actual critical view of the new film came secondary to that perceived culture war.

He's become a parody of himself and can't manage an objective review under these circumstances.

It's not a difficult concept to get your head around. Not that you tried.
Arthur Fowler

Post by Arthur Fowler »

eye__writ wrote:
Nope.

It means that he delivered his opinion with an emphasis on, "the fans deserve a bad film for how they reacted to the 2016 Ghostbusters". His actual critical view of the new film came secondary to that perceived culture war.

He's become a parody of himself and can't manage an objective review under these circumstances.

I hadn't heard him say that, so thank you for pointing it out. No need for your final sentence.
eye__writ

Post by eye__writ »

Arthur Fowler wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:56 pm
eye__writ wrote:

Nope.

I hadn't heard him say that, so thank you for pointing it out. No need for your final sentence.
Maybe, but there was also no need for your suggestion that I was just annoyed that he disagreed with me, when you could have restricted yourself to asking me what I meant.

More than happy to apologise for my arsiness though. I haven't even seen the new film yet. :lol:
Arthur Fowler

Post by Arthur Fowler »

eye__writ wrote:
Arthur Fowler wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:56 pm
eye__writ wrote: Nope.

Maybe, but there was also no need for your suggestion that I was just annoyed that he disagreed with me, when you could have restricted yourself to asking me what I meant.

More than happy to apologise for my arsiness though. I haven't even seen the new film yet. Image
Fair enough, my apologies.
The Bear

Post by The Bear »

I enjoyed this overall, but the first hour was very slow going. Too many new characters to introduce. They could have easily done away with her older brother and his school girlfriend storyline.