The Matrix Resurrections

Discuss films here. There is also a sub-forum to discuss specific aspects of DVD and Blu-ray releases of films, but all discussion of film plot points and casting should be kept in the main forum.

Moderator: Alan b

Jabbitt

The Matrix Resurrections

Post by Jabbitt »

First trailer just came online. It looks like it will certainly be visually impressive.

https://youtu.be/eC4PI9y6AVQ

Anyone figure out embedding yet?
CLH

Re: The Matrix Resurrections

Post by CLH »

Great trailer, no clue what it's about. :clap:
The Bear

Post by The Bear »

Looks a bit of a rehash of the first film, plus some added action John Wick style.

Also, has CAM had some de-aging done on her? She looks a lot less wrinkly than when she was in Jessica Jones.
driver8

Post by driver8 »

I don't normally watch trailers, but am stoked for this and sorely tempted ! Is it more of a teaser, or a full on A to Z ?
driver8 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:09 pm Early days so not many details at the moment, but good to see one Wachowski in the saddle and most of the cast signed up (Wikipedia - and - IMDB).
  • Announced by Warner Bros on 20 August 2019 for release in May 2021, but now delayed to 1 April 2022 (due to pandemic).
  • Co-written by Lana Wachowski, David Mitchell, Aleksandar Hemon (from Sense8, with some of the cast too).
  • Directed by Lana Wachowski
  • Cast: Keanu Reeves (Neo), Carrie-Anne Moss (Trinity), Jada Pinkett Smith (Niobe), Lambert Wilson (Merovingian).
  • Not apppearing: Hugo Weaving (big shame) and Laurence Fishburne (?).
  • New: Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (as a young Morpheus?), Neil Patrick Harris, Jessica Henwick, Jonathan Groff, Toby Onwumere, Max Riemelt, Eréndira Ibarra, Priyanka Chopra, Andrew Caldwell, Brian J. Smith, Ellen Hollman.
  • Filming in San Francisco has completed; cast & crew arrived in Berlin just before the COVID-19 shutdown (24 June: filming now resumed?)
  • Zak Penn (X-men, Avengers, Ready Player One) is working on 1 (of 2) spinoffs in an expanded universe (separate from Matrix-4).
The Bear

Post by The Bear »

It's more of a teaser with a few action scene clips thrown in.

Hard to know what the plot is gonna be other than things seems to have been reset.
Tob

Post by Tob »

It looks quite intriguing, I wonder why Morpheus isn’t Morpheus. I’m glad Keane and Carrie Anne Moss are back. I think I’ll watch the first three In the run up to this, I haven’t seen them in ages. I wonder if time has been kind to the sequels…although they’re a bit straight faced and bloated, I did enjoy them.
Wooglie

Post by Wooglie »

Yeah I'm tempted to watch the three again before this comes out. Have to do the Animatrix as well.
The Bear

Post by The Bear »

The sequels are still rubbish. The final one being particularly so.
Jabbitt

Post by Jabbitt »

Here's the first official synopsis for the film, notice anything?
The Matrix Resurrections is a continuation of the story established in the first MATRIX film. It reunites Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss as cinematic icons Neo & Trinity in an expansion of their story that ventures back into the Matrix and even deeper down the rabbit hole.

A mind-bending new adventure with action and epic scale, it’s set in a familiar yet even more provocative world where reality is more subjective than ever and all that’s required to see the truth is to free your mind.

Twenty years after the first film, the franchise that helped define pop culture at the turn of the century is back for a continuation and extension of the original movie. The Matrix remains in the zeitgeist as a film that has changed the way we look at cinema and reality itself. With its game-changing action and visual effects, The Matrix helped pave the way for films to follow.
Lots of attention to the original film and no mention of the sequels. Perhaps they just don't want to bring back bad memories for people! :lol:
driver8

Post by driver8 »

For me, that sounds perfect ! The 2 sequels had some great set pieces but way too much pseudo-religious mumbo jumbo. So this Matrix #2 reboot sounds like the perfect way to go - more from #1 mould, but bigger and better (like The Evil Dead #2 was bigger and better than #1).
Raigmore

Post by Raigmore »

No Hugo Weaving? If Neo can return, I'm sure Agent Smith can too. IMO, Weaving's character was interesting and he is one of Hollywood's great baddies - yet another English actors to play the villain.
burn

Post by burn »

Raigmore wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:01 pm No Hugo Weaving? If Neo can return, I'm sure Agent Smith can too. IMO, Weaving's character was interesting and he is one of Hollywood's great baddies - yet another English actors to play the villain.
I was about to go all out...NO HE IS AUSTRALIAN...but then I stopped and looked it up...well blow me down, he is English! :D
Raigmore

Post by Raigmore »

burn wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:16 am
Raigmore wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:01 pm No Hugo Weaving? If Neo can return, I'm sure Agent Smith can too. IMO, Weaving's character was interesting and he is one of Hollywood's great baddies - yet another English actors to play the villain.
I was about to go all out...NO HE IS AUSTRALIAN...but then I stopped and looked it up...well blow me down, he is English! :D
Yes, Hugo Weaving is very much English and identifies himself as such. But there is a deep Australian connection; he was born in Colonial Nigeria but since taking up acting in the early 80s, has mostly lived and worked in Oz, receiving several awards. He became famous in the 1984 Australian TV mimi-series Bodyline in which he played the England team's captain Douglas Jardine. Good actor, especially as a bad guy.