DC's Suicide Squad

Discuss films here. There is also a sub-forum to discuss specific aspects of DVD and Blu-ray releases of films, but all discussion of film plot points and casting should be kept in the main forum.

Moderator: Alan b

AdamBrunt

Re: DC's Suicide Squad

Post by AdamBrunt »

Saw this last night and thought it was very good.

Haven't seen the first one but that didn't seem to affect my enjoyment, or understanding what was going on, of this one at all considering
[SHOW]
most of the first squad get killed of in the first 10 minutes
Hood

Post by Hood »

I saw it yesterday. It was enjoyable fun and so much better than the first one. I also don't quite understand why some proclaiming it as a masterpiece but I'm glad people are enjoying it so much. This was my third trip to the cinema since lockdown restrictions were lifted and this was the busiest by far, which was a nice thing to see.
The Bear

Post by The Bear »

I know I didn't like it, but that's no need to argue about it. It's just one opinion! And I'm a genuine comic book film fan. Love Marvel stuff, DC less so admittedly but that's hardly controversial. I even liked Green Lantern!

These characters though are just so one dimensional it's painful. Other than Idris Elba who makes his character relatable and likeable, there's no character arc, no shades of dark and light, no real drama in them whatsoever. They're all cardboard cutouts surrounded by action scenes and forced humour with no emotional impact. I couldn't care less if any of them die or are in peril.

Green Lantern is better than this.

Xeon007

Post by Xeon007 »

Saw this tonight... I don't know why it's getting such great reviews personally. Yes it's better than the first one but that's a low bar to clear.
eye__writ

Post by eye__writ »

Loved this. :luv:

It doesn't stop from minute one, with nearly every frame packed with humour, visual panache and action.

Absolutely wild to suggest that it's only slightly better than the first film and to rank Green Lantern above it??!

Wow. :lol: All the best with that.
eye__writ

Post by eye__writ »

The Bear wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:00 pm I know I didn't like it, but that's no need to argue about it. It's just one opinion!
Could be worse.

You could have watched it and decided this was a view worth taking - https://www.thedigitalfix.com/dc-extend ... rley-quinn
AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

Stupid question but ...
[SHOW]
it's Peacemaker in the bed in the post credits scene
, right ?
sharp_circle

Post by sharp_circle »

Shingster wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:41 am lol coming from the guy shitting on the opinion of a member who dared to post a negative review of a film, on a film discussion forum. Note that word, not a film "let's compare aggregate site statistics" forum. If you can't handle a negative review of The Suicide Squad, you're the one with the problem with "Elitism". I've not even seen the film, looks like it might be fun, but any jackass with an IQ above 12 knows that an IMDB or rotten tomatoes fresh rating is not a guarantee that you as an individual will enjoy a film. Speaking as a fan of horror, some of the most interesting films I've seen in the last few years have got shitty or mediocre IMDB ratings (and even worse on Rotten Tomatoes). This fact is amplified to the nth degree when you're talking about the opening weekend of big tentpole films that come with a tonne of hype! How many times do we have to see films come out, get adored by critics and loved on IMDB only for audiences to cool to them a week or few weeks later? Remember Ghostbusters 2016? Amazing film opening weekend (I know because it was last time I ever let Rotten Tomatoes raise my expectations of a film, back when it was about 89% fresh), absolute disaster now.

And people wonder why these boards are dead. heaven f***g forbid someone not like a freaking comic book movie round these parts! :cuckoo:
The reason these boards are dead is because of people like you saying that anyone who uses well established review sites have an IQ below 12 and then proceed to berate and insult them when being called out for it. I haven't seen suicide squad and have no skin in the game at all, but a review that says it's utterly dreadful when the overwhelming majority says it isn't is going to get questioned. For the record I didn't insult the bear, I questioned the review. You however jumped straight into dickhead mode.
Shingster

Post by Shingster »

I did not say "anyone who uses Rotten Tomatoes has an IQ below 12" - especially considering I have already admitted to using Rotten Tomatoes in the past in this very thread - I said "any jackass with an IQ above 12 knows that a high rating on these sites isn't a guarantee that an individual is going to enjoy a film" Either you are aware of this astoundingly obvious fact, and this is most definitely not an insult (because quite frankly, anyone who uses RT must be aware of this fact), or you're the one in a million who isn't. Either way, the obvious intent of my comment was to make a rhetorical statement of the obvious, not to say anyone who uses RT is a f-ing idiot! :brickwall :brickwall

I haven't insulted anyone in this thread, the worst you can say about my posts is that they are combatative and condescending and therefore the tone can be interpreted as insulting, which is EXACTLY the tone of your posts, only you immediately progressed to personal insults right off the bat, calling me an elitist and now a dickhead. My god you've got some nerve! :cuckoo: (and before someone comes along to say "well you've insulted people in the past", I've got no problem with the insults themselves, but anyone who uses personal insults can no longer complain about being spoken to rudely or even insulted in response, once they've used them!)

Congrats for resurrecting an argument that was about a week dead BTW, classy!
sharp_circle wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:49 pmFor the record I didn't insult the bear, I questioned the review. You however jumped straight into dickhead mode.
Nobody said you did, somebody did say you were "shitting on his opinion" though, which is basically what I was doing to your opinion of the Suicide Squad Rotten Tomatoes score. Try reading posts more carefully. :brickwall
Last edited by Shingster on Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tob

Post by Tob »

AdamBrunt wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:02 am Stupid question but ...
[SHOW]
, right ?
Yes, I think so.

I quite liked this - I thought it was trying a bit too hard at the start and I was cringing a bit, but I started to relax into it and some of the humour began to hit home and the more it went on, the more I enjoyed it. It's quite inventive in places and doesn't take itself too seriously. It's much better than the first Suicide Squad film (I haven't seen the Harley stand alone film yet, but will give it a try).
sharp_circle

Post by sharp_circle »

Shingster wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:25 pm

Congrats for resurrecting an argument that was about a week dead BTW, classy!
sharp_circle wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:49 pmFor the record I didn't insult the bear, I questioned the review. You however jumped straight into dickhead mode.
Nobody said you did, somebody did say you were "shitting on his opinion" though, which is basically what I was doing to your opinion of the Suicide Squad Rotten Tomatoes score. Try reading posts more carefully. :brickwall
Sorry i'm not sat on here f5ing waiting for your next diatribe, seems you are though. Also, I didn't call you a dickhead, I said you went straight into dickhead mode. Try reading posts more carefully :brickwall:

As it happens I went to see it this evening. It was pretty good, much better than the other one with all the usual Gunn humour. Not sure how anyone can think it's worse than Green Lantern, it's not in the same league quality wise
AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

Tob wrote:
AdamBrunt wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:02 am Stupid question but ...
[SHOW]
, right ?
Yes, I think so.
Yeah - you only get a shortish glimpse and
[SHOW]
Peacemaker makes sense given the upcoming TV series
Shingster

Post by Shingster »

sharp_circle wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:01 pmSorry i'm not sat on here f5ing waiting for your next diatribe, seems you are though. Also, I didn't call you a dickhead, I said you went straight into dickhead mode. Try reading posts more carefully :brickwall:
Something tells me you have less of a life than your're suggesting here if you've got nothing better to do than continue banging this drum! :p
oldskool

Post by oldskool »

I thought it was ok....not great....better than the first one and a pleasant way to waste a few hours.

I didn't think it was worth all the praise it's getting but it was ok
aprout
Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs

Post by aprout »

Enjoyed it for what it was - a big, fun, silly OTT action comedy - but I'm another that doesn't really see why it's getting such overwhelming praise. It good, but it's not that good.

Went back & watched the first one again last night. I'd forgotten just how teeth-grindingly awful Leto's Joker was & how utterly rubbish the main villain was, but I still enjoyed most of it. I can't honestly say I prefer either film over the other. They're drastically different in tone, but they both have good & bad bits.
eye__writ

Post by eye__writ »

aprout wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:39 am Enjoyed it for what it was - a big, fun, silly OTT action comedy - but I'm another that doesn't really see why it's getting such overwhelming praise. It good, but it's not that good.
I think people are just relieved that they don't have to pretend that dreck like Black Widow, WW1984 and Disney's Falcon are good anymore. By comparison this is a masterpiece of superhero cinema.
AndyWilson

Post by AndyWilson »

eye__writ wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:49 pm
aprout wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:39 am Enjoyed it for what it was - a big, fun, silly OTT action comedy - but I'm another that doesn't really see why it's getting such overwhelming praise. It good, but it's not that good.
I think people are just relieved that they don't have to pretend that dreck like Black Widow, WW1984 and Disney's Falcon are good anymore. By comparison this is a masterpiece of superhero cinema.
Maybe some people don't need to pretend because they genuinely like them? I wasn't fond of Falcon - a big let down after Wandavision - and I haven't seen Black Widow, but I thought WW1984 was genuinely enjoyable.
Hood

Post by Hood »

I enjoyed Black Widow and WW1984 just as much as The Suicide Squad. :shrug: I've never known anyone to pretend to enjoy a popcorn movie before either.
I actually think that the reason why critics, in particular, have gone nuts for it is because most of them enjoy seeing a director being allowed to swing for the fences in a mainstream movie. Quite often a director's wings are clipped by studios to ensure that the final product is solid entertaining fare that doesn't risk alienating the audience. With The Suicide Squad, Warner Bros gave James Gunn free reign which could have resulted in a total disaster that turned audiences off. Fortunately, that wasn't the case. That said when I saw it there were a couple of walk outs so the over the top nature of the film clearly isn't for everyone.
The Bear

Post by The Bear »

sharp_circle wrote:
As it happens I went to see it this evening. It was pretty good, much better than the other one with all the usual Gunn humour. Not sure how anyone can think it's worse than Green Lantern, it's not in the same league quality wise
I couldn't tell you whether technically it was or not. Just that I personally enjoyed GL more than this.

Mainly due to expectations I think. I was expecting something horrific with GL but genuinely thought it was fine. With The Suicide Squad I went in expecting it to be better than the original but was disappointed with a lot of things in it. Just a matter of perspective I guess.

As for WW84, there were so many daft problems with that film I lost count. It wasn't good and not a patch on the original. Which is still the best DC film IMO.

Wowbagger

Post by Wowbagger »

This was monumentally silly, as it was obviously intended to be, and I enjoyed it. I suspect it's getting rave reviews simply because it was better than the critics were expecting - certainly better than I was expecting, mainly because I find Robbie's Harley irritating (very, in SS and the utterly dismal Birds of Prey, less so in this). If it hadn't been so silly it would have just been moronic.
[SHOW]
(And since she's been mentioned, I honestly can't understand how WW84 wasn't pulled and recut to have the rape subplot removed.)
Last edited by Wowbagger on Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.