DC's Suicide Squad

Discuss films here. There is also a sub-forum to discuss specific aspects of DVD and Blu-ray releases of films, but all discussion of film plot points and casting should be kept in the main forum.

Moderator: Alan b

ourmatetone

Post by ourmatetone »

Mr Majestik wrote:I think Marvel are well over their animation curse with Spider-verse.

Strictly speaking, that’s Sony. But it has set an example for Marvel to follow.
H Dot

Post by H Dot »

Spaceranger2001 wrote:No Will Smith in this next one according to Hollywood Reporter.
Idris Elba cast as Smith's replacement
http://www.darkhorizons.com/elba-replac ... e-squad-2/
Spaceranger2001

Post by Spaceranger2001 »

Jai Courtney returning a Captain Boomerang:thumbs:
Jabbitt

Post by Jabbitt »

It seems after being rather vocal about it, Ayer is finally getting to release his cut of Suicide Squad on HBO Max, allegedly.

https://twitter.com/SmallScreenGB/statu ... 51360?s=19

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
"I'm not even supposed to be here today!"
allan

Post by allan »

Does anyone really care though?
The Bear

Post by The Bear »

Nope.
jockosjungle

Post by jockosjungle »

Some films cannot be saved with a Directors cut. Might be interesting to see what is different, but generally they don't have a good film and then do a different cut to make it rubbish.
Jabbitt

Post by Jabbitt »

It turns out the story of it coming to HBO Max are false.
"I'm not even supposed to be here today!"
The Bear

Re: DC's Suicide Squad

Post by The Bear »

Went to see THE Suicide Squad earlier.

Terrible lazy title for a sequel - No James Gunn it's not hilarious that you couldn't be arsed to come up with a proper title and the studio just said "yeah whatever". And that attitude pretty much reflects the film. Absolutely terrible lazy shite.

The first hour was just awful. Second hour was better but interspersed with moments of utter baffling nonsense moments. The humour was 90% terrible as well.

It's like a really, really crap version of The Boys but without the good characters, performances and dark humour.

The only thing stopping it getting 1/10 was Margot Robbie and Idris Elba who were both fairly decent. Everyone else stunk up the place, especially John Cena.

3/10 - Avoid at all costs until it's on free tv/streaming if you absolutely must.
eye__writ

Post by eye__writ »

The Bear wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:19 pm Went to see THE Suicide Squad earlier.

Terrible lazy title for a sequel - No James Gunn it's not hilarious that you couldn't be arsed to come up with a proper title and the studio just said "yeah whatever". And that attitude pretty much reflects the film. Absolutely terrible lazy shite.

The first hour was just awful. Second hour was better but interspersed with moments of utter baffling nonsense moments. The humour was 90% terrible as well.

It's like a really, really crap version of The Boys but without the good characters, performances and dark humour.

The only thing stopping it getting 1/10 was Margot Robbie and Idris Elba who were both fairly decent. Everyone else stunk up the place, especially John Cena.

3/10 - Avoid at all costs until it's on free tv/streaming if you absolutely must.
:lol:
sharp_circle

Post by sharp_circle »

The Bear wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:19 pm Went to see THE Suicide Squad earlier.

:thinking: :thinking:

You're in a massive minority

96% on RT and 8.4 on IMDB....
Shingster

Post by Shingster »

I expect Gen Zers who don't know any better to quote rotten tomatoes and IMDB stats for films that have just come out as if they actually mean something about the quality of the film itself, but surely members on here are old enough to know the smell of that a load of codswallop.
sharp_circle

Post by sharp_circle »

Shingster wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:30 pm I expect Gen Zers who don't know any better to quote rotten tomatoes and IMDB stats for films that have just come out as if they actually mean something about the quality of the film itself, but surely members on here are old enough to know the smell of that a load of codswallop.
Ah yes, a site that's an aggregate of well known critics vs one dude on this forum...hmmm, who should i believe i wonder.

The irony of your post is hilarious. Elitism at it's finest...
Shingster

Post by Shingster »

lol coming from the guy shitting on the opinion of a member who dared to post a negative review of a film, on a film discussion forum. Note that word, not a film "let's compare aggregate site statistics" forum. If you can't handle a negative review of The Suicide Squad, you're the one with the problem with "Elitism". I've not even seen the film, looks like it might be fun, but any jackass with an IQ above 12 knows that an IMDB or rotten tomatoes fresh rating is not a guarantee that you as an individual will enjoy a film. Speaking as a fan of horror, some of the most interesting films I've seen in the last few years have got shitty or mediocre IMDB ratings (and even worse on Rotten Tomatoes). This fact is amplified to the nth degree when you're talking about the opening weekend of big tentpole films that come with a tonne of hype! How many times do we have to see films come out, get adored by critics and loved on IMDB only for audiences to cool to them a week or few weeks later? Remember Ghostbusters 2016? Amazing film opening weekend (I know because it was last time I ever let Rotten Tomatoes raise my expectations of a film, back when it was about 89% fresh), absolute disaster now.

And people wonder why these boards are dead. heaven f***g forbid someone not like a freaking comic book movie round these parts! :cuckoo:
AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

It's not just its RT score though - it has got rave reviews across the board.

It doesn't bode well, in a forum opinion, when a review starts off by calling it a sequel when it isn't one
driver8

Post by driver8 »

shteve_

Post by shteve_ »

sharp_circle wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:25 am
Shingster wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:30 pm I expect Gen Zers who don't know any better to quote rotten tomatoes and IMDB stats for films that have just come out as if they actually mean something about the quality of the film itself, but surely members on here are old enough to know the smell of that a load of codswallop.
Ah yes, a site that's an aggregate of well known critics vs one dude on this forum...hmmm, who should i believe i wonder.

The irony of your post is hilarious. Elitism at it's finest...
They're not all well known critics though. There are a fair few blogger types on there, some with very obvious agendas. I read a review by one of them of the Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard. The whole review was just an attempt to call out anything she saw as racist or sexist, including so-called the racism of when Salma Hayek's Mexican accent was called out, yet that was the joke as she was supposed to be playing someone with a different accent.
I've got a signature and an avatar but not access to my old account :|
eye__writ

Post by eye__writ »

AdamBrunt wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:38 am It's not just its RT score though - it has got rave reviews across the board.

It doesn't bode well, in a forum opinion, when a review starts off by calling it a sequel when it isn't one Image
It's not massively clear cut that it's not a sequel, to be fair. The previous film is referenced in this one and there are repeat characters. It's only the lack of any story through line that prevents it being one really.
cjanderson

Post by cjanderson »

I assumed it was a sequel - as they start out as an established group rather then us having a “round them all up” segment like before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mjpartyboy

Post by mjpartyboy »

I watched this at the weekend and whilst I enjoyed it more than the previous effort, I fail to see why it's getting such high praise. It was okay, but not great. I'm in no hurry to watch it again.