Netflix (+ Other Streaming) Recommendations Thread 3

Discuss films here. There is also a sub-forum to discuss specific aspects of DVD and Blu-ray releases of films, but all discussion of film plot points and casting should be kept in the main forum.

Moderator: Alan b

AdamBrunt

Re: Netflix (+ Other Streaming) Recommendations Thread 3

Post by AdamBrunt »

I should have stopped watching after the very first special effect / CGI shot ( about 5-10 minutes in ) but I took one for the forums

The Ice Road ( Amazon Video ) - with Liam Neeson - is awfully bad. And not in the "so bad it's good" way
eye__writ

Post by eye__writ »

The first part of a Netflix trilogy of horror films came out recently and I gave it a watch last night instead of saving it for Halloween.

It's called Fear Street Part 1: 1994 and it's about a small town's urban legend that says a witch will come get you if you do bad things. Except she doesn't step in the ring with you herself - instead she sends some undead henchmen in some classic horror film outfits to track you down and shiv you.

I really liked it, with a good mixture of likeable and awful characters for you to wish death on, but it was just nice to have a horror film referencing the 90s instead of the 80s all the time.

There's a healthy amount of gore and I'm looking forward to the next instalments (1978 and 1666) on 9th and 16th July.

Last edited by eye__writ on Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cjanderson

Post by cjanderson »

Oh I am watching it right now and thought it was a tv series lol

I like scream etc so shall hopefully enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

These are the 3 films based on books written by R L Stine ( the author of the Goosebumps books ) aren't they ?
eye__writ

Post by eye__writ »

AdamBrunt wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:49 pm These are the 3 films based on books written by R L Stine ( the author of the Goosebumps books ) aren't they ?
Inasmuch as R L Stine had a long running series of books called Fear Street. But it's more Friday 13th than Goosebumps.
Wooglie

Post by Wooglie »

Midsommer and F&F: Hobbs and Shaw are both on UK Netflix now.
scoobyood

Post by scoobyood »

Hobbs and Shaw is soooo much more fun than F9.... you wouldn't think that this series/universe was so well crafted to do it's thing... it takes them bringing in another writer who doesn't quite get it, to make you realise the knife edge of cheese, comedy and action that they've managed to follow for the last few movies.
cliff homewood

Post by cliff homewood »

Thoguht Fear Street was rubbish, Fast & Furious perfect example, its a film which is entertaining but the script is dumb, thus for me making it rubbish, as well as thinknig the acting could be better.
AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

scoobyood wrote:Hobbs and Shaw is soooo much more fun than F9.... you wouldn't think that this series/universe was so well crafted to do it's thing... it takes them bringing in another writer who doesn't quite get it, to make you realise the knife edge of cheese, comedy and action that they've managed to follow for the last few movies.
Hobbs And Shaw is the only FF movie I have watched in it's entirety, so far.

It is OK for what it is but it does seem to get better reviews than some other entries in the series, which doesn't really encourage me to watch any of the others :|
cliff homewood

Post by cliff homewood »

Well I started when it came out with Fast & furious, thought the original was rubbish so surprised to see one sequel let alone many.

SO I then heard the series got better, so IMDB'd it, it peaked at Fast and Furious 5. So over lockdown I watched 5 through to 8. 5 is the best, they are all far fetched, ludicrously so, but 5 I also found very entertaining, the rest less so, althoguh they always pull off a good set sequence or so. However Fast Furiosu 5 doesnt seem to be anywhere so bought a cheap DVD on ebay to watch it
eye__writ

Post by eye__writ »

The second instalment of Fear Street was another enjoyable effort. Some very crunchy kills and a surprising ending.

I did have some problems watching it though, as my TV really struggled with the dark environments and I often couldn't see what was happening properly. I've got a high end QLED that's normally fantastic in dark scenes but something about this Netflix encode was causing bright spots and light bleed all over the place. :(
cliff homewood

Post by cliff homewood »

That reminds me of Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, both series which have had episodes where I am just watching a black screen for most of it and listening to dialogue
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

I saw that the Russian “Chernobyl 1986” (“Chernobyl: Abyss”) is coming to Netflix.

The trailer didn’t look that different to the HBO’s “Chernobyl”, other than looking less visually impressive, it being dubbed and it looked like they are pushing “human error”, rather than incompetence or fear of speaking out.

The trailer also ended with someone asking how this could have happened, which I expected to be answered with “USA/CIA!!!” or something similar but they just cut to black/the title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graphic Design Website: www.ph-design.co.uk
Twitter: @pHdesign2011
eBay Auctions: Nothing at the moment
Trader Feedback: Trader Feedback Thread
eye__writ

Post by eye__writ »

cliff homewood wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:49 pm That reminds me of Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, both series which have had episodes where I am just watching a black screen for most of it and listening to dialogue
Definitely an issue with the encoding of the film on Netflix. I watched part three last night, which had a recap from the previous film, and the same scenes that were unwatchable looked fine now. :shrug:

Also watched a magic special called In and Of Itself on Hulu. I didn't think it was half as clever as it thought it was, and it was kind of up its own arse, but the final trick was very poignant and kinda had me welling up.
captaineyecatch

Post by captaineyecatch »

The Fantastic Kingdom (korean zombie vs samurai series) has spawned a side story/prequel which looks like more goodness...
On netflix now

Kingdom: Ashin of the North trailer...

https://youtu.be/YTqz2QYsSeY

:clap: