Untitled fifth Indiana Jones film

Discuss films here. There is also a sub-forum to discuss specific aspects of DVD and Blu-ray releases of films, but all discussion of film plot points and casting should be kept in the main forum.

Moderator: Alan b

Jabbitt

Untitled fifth Indiana Jones film

Post by Jabbitt »

Well, as you may have seen from the news, Indiana Jones 5 has now started filming in the UK.
The as yet untitled film stars Harrison Ford, obviously, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Mads Mikkelsen, Thomas Kretschmann. Although in recent filming yesterday (11th June), Toby Jones has also been seen on set.

Filming has been taking place at Bamburgh Castle, North Yorkshire Moors Railway near Grosmont, Leaderfoot Viaduct, near Melrose and there now relocating to Pinewood.

The plot is currently unknown, but from set pictures we know that :
[SHOW]
Once again, the Nazis are involved. Also, a stuntman has been seen riding a motorbike with a young Harrison Ford mask.
In the scene with Toby Jones, filmed yesterday, Ford's face and jacket had motion tracker dots. So it's believed this is all for a flashback sequence with a digitally de-aged Indiana Jones. The bulk of the film is apparently set in the 1960s.
EDIT: YAY! Spoiler tags are back!
Last edited by Jabbitt on Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shingster

Re: Untitled fifth Indiana Jones film

Post by Shingster »

No Steven Spielberg no Indiana Jones. Absolutely shameful to continue on without his involvement imo. I hope it tanks hard as I'm sick to death of studios milking classic franchises until the cow's teats become septic and the entire animal dies.
scoobyood

Post by scoobyood »

Spielberg, Kennedy and Marshall are still producing.

Given Spielberg was front and centre for the last mess.. Not sure it matters these days, clearly his heart isn't in it.

James Mangold has been a fairly solid director his last few productions. :shrug: Image

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Shingster

Post by Shingster »

Mangold's a solid director, but the Indiana films have a specific style that is quintessentially Spielbergian, AFAIAA he's actually not involved as a producer but rather an executive producer, so you've got to question under what capacity he will actually work in that role? Will he be very hands on and we'll get another Poltergeist where you don't know where the director's fingerprints end and the producer's begin? Possibly, most likely not though, I think (or rather hope) we'll get a Mangold film with Spielberg touches. Typically exec producer is little more than a token credit, so I expect Spielberg will have little to do with the finished product.

The fact they've gone ahead without Spielberg tells you everything you need to know about this production imo. It has not been made for any reason other than money. They've fast-tracked it because they need to wheel out a 78yr old man for one last ride. You're right that Spielberg being at the wheel isn't a guarantee, but it's not about the quality of the product for me and more about authorship. Indy is Spielberg just like Evil Dead is Raimi and The Matrix is The Wachoskis. Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls was not a good film and generally considered to be an abject disaster these days, so where was the demand for a fifth entry? I dunno, I've just got really bad vibes from this one. I really hope I'm proven wrong!
Jez

Post by Jez »

Shingster wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:25 pm Mangold's a solid director, but the Indiana films have a specific style that is quintessentially Spielbergian, AFAIAA he's actually not involved as a producer but rather an executive producer, so you've got to question under what capacity he will actually work in that role? Will he be very hands on and we'll get another Poltergeist where you don't know where the director's fingerprints end and the producer's begin? Possibly, most likely not though, I think (or rather hope) we'll get a Mangold film with Spielberg touches. Typically exec producer is little more than a token credit, so I expect Spielberg will have little to do with the finished product.

The fact they've gone ahead without Spielberg tells you everything you need to know about this production imo. It has not been made for any reason other than money. They've fast-tracked it because they need to wheel out a 78yr old man for one last ride. You're right that Spielberg being at the wheel isn't a guarantee, but it's not about the quality of the product for me and more about authorship. Indy is Spielberg just like Evil Dead is Raimi and The Matrix is The Wachoskis. Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls was not a good film and generally considered to be an abject disaster these days, so where was the demand for a fifth entry? I dunno, I've just got really bad vibes from this one. I really hope I'm proven wrong!

At this stage in his career i dont think Ford is bothered about the money. He is massively involved in almost all films he makes and never more so than an Indiana Jones film so doubt he would do it just for the money.

Spielberg made a right mess of the previous one whilst as you said Mangold is solid.

As long as they address his age and do age appropriate things it could be good. He's being digitally de-aged for an obviously flash back scene with the nazi's, so at least that bit will be good!
Shingster

Post by Shingster »

Never said Harrison Ford was in it for the money, the dude's richer than sin! I suppose he wants one last hurrah to see the role off and the disappointing reception the last film got maybe never sat right for him. It's odd though because Ford never really struck me as a guy who was that sentimental about his old roles.

For me personally, his motivation for coming back is immaterial to the fact that he's about twenty years too old for this poop. Watching a de-aged Samuel L. Jackson in Captain Marvel was great, and he looks at least 10yrs younger than he actually is before you even de-age him, but the moment Jackson had to do anything physical in that film it became abundantly clear we were watching a dude pushing 70. He looked like he was moving in slow motion, and underwater.
Last edited by Shingster on Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scoobyood

Post by scoobyood »

I think Ford did care more for Blade Runner, he held back on that for a long time and then agreed to 2049 which was a great script and decent film.

With Indian Jones, I think he, much like the rest of us would have put trust in Spielberg to do that one right. Sadly, Spielberg listened to that loon Lucas and perhaps couldn’t be bothered to argue..

Star Wars … now that he couldn’t give a toss about.
Shingster

Post by Shingster »

Yeah I'm sure Ford wouldn't give a crap about Blade Runner either had it never been re-invented through the director's cut all those years back. He's never been the biggest fan of the Theatrical Cut, that's for sure! :lol:

The lack of George Lucas's involvement is probably the single biggest thing about this new sequel that gives me any hope tbh, and it's one of the biggest reasons why I was so bummed out when Spielberg announced he wouldn't be returning. It would've presented a golden opportunity for him to redeem himself within the franchise. Hopefully Mangold can put his Logan hat on and give the character a fitting send off.
Jabbitt

Post by Jabbitt »

I don't think he looks too bad for a 78-year-old!
cjanderson

Post by cjanderson »

Is Marion not in it as his wife?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

cjanderson wrote:Is Marion not in it as his wife?

They weren't married around the time of Raiders / Last Crusade were they ?
Last edited by AdamBrunt on Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
cjanderson

Post by cjanderson »

Nope, do you mean it’s set before the last one? That’s nuts!

AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

cjanderson wrote:Nope, do you mean it’s set before the last one? That’s nuts!

Well it apparently it involves
[SHOW]
the Nazis
which would set it before Crystal Skull
Jez

Post by Jez »

AdamBrunt wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:02 pm
cjanderson wrote:Nope, do you mean it’s set before the last one? That’s nuts!

Well it apparently it involves
[SHOW]
the Nazis
which would set it before Crystal Skull
Its a
[SHOW]
flashback apparently, as Ford has been seen doing some stuff with dots on his face for mapping and de-again
Jabbitt

Post by Jabbitt »

A little of The Force Awakens déjà vu, but hopefully nowhere near as serious.
Harrison Ford Injures Shoulder Rehearsing ‘Indiana Jones 5’ Fight Scene; Production To Shoot Around Recovery
Jabbitt

Post by Jabbitt »

Apparently the injury is more serious than previously thought. Harrison has allegedly been signed off for three months. This is from The Scum though. If it was that bad surely Disney would announce something.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!"