Netflix (+ Other Streaming) Recommendations Thread 3

Discuss films here. There is also a sub-forum to discuss specific aspects of DVD and Blu-ray releases of films, but all discussion of film plot points and casting should be kept in the main forum.

Moderator: Alan b

Postby zantarous » Sat May 22, 2021 9:39 pm

I thought Army of the Dead was a great little film, maybe a little long but looked so stylish and added some much needed depth to the zombie lore.

Anyone get driven made by the camera that has the dead pixel? I hear its only visible on the 4K stream.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
zantarous

Postby fivebyfive » Sun May 23, 2021 7:58 am

Dawn of the dead remake was so much better, eg characters - so much better and well written compared to this. even used Richard cheese for the viva las vegas song (he did down with the sickness cover in Dawn remake)

Also the ripping off of Aliens was so blatant and several other films. It worked as disposable action film to watch with some beers then forget it but its not really good film and is a mess at times. Also it was too long and didn't need to be. Also the slow mo when [spoiler]when he kills and cries about his now zombie wife[/spoiler] was laughable. Synder is like some ADD child film maker hopped on too much red bull (for years now) and actually needs someone to say no and guide him

Tig notaro is the same character in everything and it was noticeable she was green screened in. Also it need a character called Martha to complete it

Maybe 6/10 - better than a lot of the recent straight to netflix films but thats not hard
"Eat the multi-billion dollar corporate slop and pretend it's social justice, you weirdos"
fivebyfive

Postby Bravoman » Sun May 23, 2021 8:52 am

Anyone else watching Mare of Easttown on Sky with Kate Winslet?
Bravoman

Postby cjanderson » Sun May 23, 2021 9:05 am

Bravoman wrote:Anyone else watching Mare of Easttown on Sky with Kate Winslet?

Yes I watched the first one, and then 2-3 yesterday hopefully 4/5 today to be back up to date.

It’s good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjanderson

Postby shteve » Sun May 23, 2021 9:25 am

What did Kate think of it?
I've got a signature and an avatar :p
shteve

Postby Wooglie » Sun May 23, 2021 9:41 am

zantarous wrote:Anyone get driven made by the camera that has the dead pixel? I hear its only visible on the 4K stream.
Yeah I thought it was my TV, but didn't show up in other programs.
Wooglie

Postby Psycho » Sun May 23, 2021 1:37 pm

I thought Army of The Dead was okay. Nothing amazing and not as good as the Dawn of The Dead but it was fun to watch.

I couldn't work out why they couldn't fly a helicopter in due to restricted airspace but it was okay to fly one out?

Also, I couldn't quite hear/understand what they were talking about when they entered Las Vegas - there were piles on bodies (?) on the floor either side and I think they said something about them coming back to life at nighttime? :thinking:

aprout wrote:one vaguely important character simply disappears at the end with no sign of their fate

What character did you mean?
Graphic Design Website: www.ph-design.co.uk
Twitter: @pHdesign2011
eBay Auctions: Nothing at the moment
Trader Feedback: Trader Feedback Thread
Psycho

Postby cjanderson » Sun May 23, 2021 1:39 pm

I assume the person the daughter went to rescue.

cjanderson

Postby aprout » Sun May 23, 2021 2:45 pm

Psycho wrote:Also, I couldn't quite hear/understand what they were talking about when they entered Las Vegas - there were piles on bodies (?) on the floor either side and I think they said something about them coming back to life at nighttime? :thinking:

The coyote woman said they came back to life when it rained. I was expecting that to pay off later, but like to much of this film, nope it was just another pointless bit of exposition, probably setting something up for the already-filmed prequel.

cjanderson wrote:I assume the person the daughter went to rescue.

Yep.
[spoiler]she might have been hanging dead out the front of the crashed helicopter at the end, but the cinematography was so blurry it's hard to say.

Given how the daughter's entire storyline was about saving that woman, if she did die, a half-second shot of a dead body wouldn't have gone amiss... [/spoiler]
aprout

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs

Postby Psycho » Sun May 23, 2021 2:53 pm

Oh yeah, just saw there is an Army of Thieves prequel film and Army of The Dead: Lost Vegas prequel series.

Graphic Design Website: www.ph-design.co.uk
Twitter: @pHdesign2011
eBay Auctions: Nothing at the moment
Trader Feedback: Trader Feedback Thread
Psycho

Postby Robby » Sun May 23, 2021 8:48 pm

zantarous wrote:
Anyone get driven made by the camera that has the dead pixel? I hear its only visible on the 4K stream.

Yeah, very noticeable on my OLED. I saw two of them. Convinced it was my TV until I faffed about and deduced it must be their camera.

Film bored me to tears. I don’t find Zombie at all scary or threatening and why these ones were posturing about like they were doing some velociraptor flash mob I don’t know.

Best bit was tiger scenes but that didn’t warrant 2.5 hrs.
Robby

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"

Re: Netflix (+ Other Streaming) Recommendations Thread 3

Postby captaineyecatch » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:14 pm

Did enjoy Army of the dead but like others have said 2.5 hrs is too long. Did anyone else think the daughter was a bitch though? If she didnt run off to save the other mum, the team would of survived?
Amazing to see the Helix tv show continue in movie format :lol:
The Dead pixel is bloody annoying - if i hadnt seen it mentioned here i would of thought my screen was knackered.
captaineyecatch

Postby Shingster » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:46 pm

Noticed in the Netflix coming soon list that the Rurouni Kenshin trilogy is coming this month, I thoroughly recommend that if you are even remotely interested in seeing what a live action manga adaptation done right actually looks like! It's japanese of course, but don't let that put you off! :D
Shingster

Postby cliff homewood » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:28 pm

Well i thought they did it right with Death Note, the japanese version, I enjoyed that
cliff homewood

Postby Shingster » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:32 pm

It's better than Netflix's effort, but that's not saying much. It really doesn't do the manga justice at all whereas Kenshin at least manages to capture some of the magic of the manga, albeit in heavily truncated form. Just objectively comparing like for like without knowledge of the source material the Kenshin films are just better films, period, than the Death Note films, which are ultra schlocky.
Shingster

Postby cliff homewood » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:57 pm

The problem here being I've not read the manga I'm coming from the perspective of having watched and lvoed the 37 part tv series. Have noticed there have been new Death Note since like the next generation, will have to give that a go at one point, wonder if they are on netflix or somewhere, probably not. Used lovefilm to watch the originals
cliff homewood

Postby Shingster » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:19 pm

The anime is good, it faithfully adapts the first "half" of the story but sadly truncates the 2nd "half" of the story (a really bad habit Anime adaptations started to develop that began in the early noughties unfortunately). Don't get me wrong the live action films aren't terrible, they're just completely "meh" and a little too jdorama-esque in their approach. I recall watching the first spin off sequel (The one focusing on L, Change the World was it?) and that wasn't good enough for me to want to seek out any of the subsequent films. None of them are available on Netflix but if the last two spin offs were to appear I would definitely check them out, why not? I'm currently working my way through the Wong Jing HK films Netflix have, so I'm not completely adverse to sitting through lousy asian films on their platform! :nuts:
Shingster

Postby Dogo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:49 pm

Do you really want money I am not lying Do you want money If you answered yes I guarantee you a profit of 1000 dollars every three days Not joking Do you want proof
Watch the video below

https://uii.io/Hosamdgojk
Dogo

Previous

Return to Film Discussion