Organising Photos on PC

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

Bravoman

Organising Photos on PC

Post by Bravoman »

Hello all can anyone tell me the best way torganise the photos on my PC please.

I’ve just transferred about 500 photos of my granddaughter onto my PC from my iPad, phone and camera. As you would expect they are all over the place (but in 1 folder) and I would like to organize them to show her from baby to current age if possible.

Is there anything I can do with Windows or any recommended apps/programs. Is it actually possible?

Thanks in advance :thumbs:
driver8

Post by driver8 »

It sounds like sorting by Date Taken would do what you want ?

I recently sorted 1500 photos from a 5-week holiday, taken by 3 phones + 2 cameras ! Thankfully the dates were set correctly, although some of the times were off (not helped by different time zones).
cedge

Post by cedge »

I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives, but as I'm into Photography, I use the desktop standalone version of Adobe Lightroom. It's great at Organising Photos as you can add tags/ratings, etc. and then filter per tag, etc. This way it doesn't really matter how they are stored in the PC as you can usually find something in Lightroom pretty quickly.
"Listen! You smell something?"

My Flickr Page | My Twitter | PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge
Bravoman

Post by Bravoman »

Thanks both! I think the Sort by date taken is the option. I’ll have to have a look on my PC.

Thanks again :thumbs:
Bravoman

Post by Bravoman »

driver8 wrote:It sounds like sorting by Date Taken would do what you want
I’ve done this and to a certain extent it did work. However it’s now divided them into taken this year and taken last year. They all do appear to be in order just sorted into different years.

I’ve not had chance to look again and see if there are any other settings I can change to turn that option off?

:thumbs:
driver8

Post by driver8 »

You could create different folders for each year ?

Or try different View settings, and/or change the folder setting to General.
Bravoman

Post by Bravoman »

driver8 wrote:You could create different folders for each year ?

Or try different View settings, and/or change the folder setting to General.

Thanks good ideas....why can’t it just be simple? :shrug:
wobbly Jelly

Post by wobbly Jelly »

as I have / had many cameras, phones and other users in the family we had many 'folders' in the end I went for simple I create a folder per year, then a months but labelled 01_jan etc and drop everything in the month. I may create a sub folder for an even e.g. Birthday, holiday etc and then a bit of flex e.g. where does new years eve go

Then back up... also be careful as the computer can confuse created and modified date on photos
designed on the back of a fag packet - by a non-smoker
iancorr

Post by iancorr »

You could try Bulk Rename Utility: https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php.

I've renamed my pics in the format Granddaughter yyyymmddhhmmss which gives me them in date order. It also shows me duplicates because anything which matches to the second has (so far) been a duplicate.
Bravoman

Post by Bravoman »

iancorr wrote:You could try Bulk Rename Utility: https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php.

I've renamed my pics in the format Granddaughter yyyymmddhhmmss which gives me them in date order. It also shows me duplicates because anything which matches to the second has (so far) been a duplicate.
Thanks for that. I did download and try using a bulk rename programme, but after downloading and installing it then told me I could rename a maximum of 5 files at a time unless I paid for the programme. Will look at your link though as it says free for home use.

:thumbs:
Bravoman

Post by Bravoman »

wobbly Jelly wrote:as I have / had many cameras, phones and other users in the family we had many 'folders' in the end I went for simple I create a folder per year, then a months but labelled 01_jan etc and drop everything in the month. I may create a sub folder for an even e.g. Birthday, holiday etc and then a bit of flex e.g. where does new years eve go

Then back up... also be careful as the computer can confuse created and modified date on photos

Thanks I might end up doing that but then you end up having multiple folders open if you want To find one photo.

I do have all photos backed up to a HDD and whatever I end up doing I will do a fresh back up again :thumbs:
Spaceranger2001

Post by Spaceranger2001 »

wobbly Jelly wrote:as I have / had many cameras, phones and other users in the family we had many 'folders' in the end I went for simple I create a folder per year, then a months but labelled 01_jan etc and drop everything in the month. I may create a sub folder for an even e.g. Birthday, holiday etc and then a bit of flex e.g. where does new years eve go

Another vote for this method.

Note if you are naming is based on date/time taken your RAW files wont have that information if you are renaming using BRU.

So you'll have to rename the RAW files manually in order to keep them with the jpg version
ian turner

Post by ian turner »

apparently if you go into the pictures directory via the libraries section in windows explorer you can select sort by month, day or year by using the sort option on the right click menu but as my employer has been hanging onto an obsolete operating system like grim death i can't comment on whether that works on windows 10
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All important data is backed up. If you didn't back it up it wasn't important
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bravoman

Post by Bravoman »

Thanks all for the advice. Will have a look and try above suggestions.
ian turner

Post by ian turner »

Seems the observations about being able to sort by day month and the like is complete rubbish. Have a look at windows photo live, part of the windows live essentials which microsoft no longer supports but was woking on my old windows 10 machine and provides the basics of photo management in a user friendly manner derided by most of the providers of professional packages
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All important data is backed up. If you didn't back it up it wasn't important
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------