batch converting files to jpeg?

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

riz1

batch converting files to jpeg?

Post by riz1 »

HI
we went to a theme park and bought a pictures package using the park photographers and an online app
I have downloaded the files to my pc but they are all in "file" format ie no file association.
Photogallery can open them and I can manually save a copy as jpg but is there any way I can batch convery about 50 files to jpeg format ?
PSE won't open the files or Picassa viewer but Paint, Photo Gallery and Windows Photoviewer all can
If you view the world the same way at 60 as you did when you were 30, then you have wasted 30 years of your life
Muhammad Ali
driver8

Post by driver8 »

Arthur Fowler

Post by Arthur Fowler »

If they are just missing the correct extension but the format itself is correct (which sounds like the case). Rename each file in explorer to add .jpg to the end? Probably take about 2 or 3 minutes for 50.
riz1

Post by riz1 »

Problem with that is the file name is random letters and numbers.
In that case I might as well open each one to see what it is and give it a name to save as in photoviewer
If you view the world the same way at 60 as you did when you were 30, then you have wasted 30 years of your life
Muhammad Ali
Arthur Fowler

Post by Arthur Fowler »

Not sure what your question is then if you want to rename individually to reflect content.
riz1

Post by riz1 »

If there was a way to automate the process I wouldn't have bothered but if I have to do it one at a time I may as well rename them was all I figured :thumbs:
Muhammad Ali
Fatbloke

Post by Fatbloke »

Assuming that the files are just a .jpg in disguise (try renaming just one to check) then you could use a batch renamer program to do all the photos in a few seconds. But you've probably done that manually by now. :)
Wooglie

Post by Wooglie »

It's pretty old now, but I've been using this for many years.
http://www.fauland.com/af5.htm
riz1

Post by riz1 »

Fatbloke wrote:Assuming that the files are just a .jpg in disguise (try renaming just one to check) then you could use a batch renamer program to do all the photos in a few seconds. But you've probably done that manually by now. :)

Yeah
I tried to be clever and select all and just add.jpg on them but all it did was copy the lot random string as their name so i did 1 by one just adding .jpg to the end but randomly chopping different amounts of the random strings off the name
Muhammad Ali
riz1

Post by riz1 »

Wooglie wrote:It's pretty old now, but I've been using this for many years.
http://www.fauland.com/af5.htm

that wouldn't install for me - said needs to be elevated or something
Muhammad Ali
CrazyAl

Post by CrazyAl »

Running Win 10 x64 here and it ran fine. Needed elevated permissions but just clicked OK and that was it.
Woz

Post by Woz »

Do this at a CMD prompt in the correct directory...

for %f in (*.) do ren %f %f.jpg