Bought a Nexstar 5se Telescope - now what?

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

Dishy

Bought a Nexstar 5se Telescope - now what?

Post by Dishy »

Managed to buy a Nexstar telescope and now need to get up-to-speed on using it and stuff. I would like to do astrophotography and have a Panasonic Lumix GX7 and Nikon D300 available to use. I assume I need to get a T adaptor and ring converter but I am a bit overwhelmed by some of discussions on the telescope forums and the acronyms they use. I would like to know what should I get to get started in terms of eyepieces, filters etc. Any help appreciated.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Dishy wrote:Managed to buy a Nexstar telescope and now need to get up-to-speed on using it and stuff. I would like to do astrophotography and have a Panasonic Lumix GX7 and Nikon D300 available to use. I assume I need to get a T adaptor and ring converter but I am a bit overwhelmed by some of discussions on the telescope forums and the acronyms they use. I would like to know what should I get to get started in terms of eyepieces, filters etc. Any help appreciated.

We used to have a 6SE. Definitely go the lightweight camera route. The 6SE struggled with my 5D Mk I due to the weight. I would start simple and just get a T adaptor and go from there before worrying about filters. Astrophotography is a minefield and very difficult to master. The nexstar range isnt ideal for astrophotography so dont expect miracles (really long exposures where you can capture lots of colour and detail) but its not a bad starting point.

Look forward to seeing some photos
PSN Tag : Razer_73