Backing up photos when travelling (aka which tablet?)

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

matt_uk

Backing up photos when travelling (aka which tablet?)

Post by matt_uk »

Hey everyone. I'm going to be taking the trans-Siberian in August travelling through Russia, Mongolia and China over 8 weeks. I have never been away for this long before and am thinking I should buy a tablet to do back-ups whilst under away. Also I will have quite a bit of time on my hands, so would like to watch films, check email etc...

I would prefer something thin and light, hence why a tablet would be preferable. Also, it'll probably get thrown around in my back-pack, so I would not want to take something too expensive such as a Surface 3.

I am interested to hear what people are using in these situations.

My thoughts:
Ipad: loads of apps, decent battery life, pig to get files on to and off it, expensive (for 128GB)
Android tablets: decent apps, good battery life, can use OTG cables, but which one exactly??
Windows tablets: terrible app selection, battery life so-so, no problems reading and writing to a variety of media, loads of desktop apps (LR, PS etc... but am I going to be using that on an 8 - 10" display??)

Thanks!
ian turner

Post by ian turner »

Question should surely be what external devices will you be using to store 8 weeks of films and photographs.
Photo backup can be done with a mobile phone and one of those wireless media sharers with usb and card slots and a selection of usb sticks. Kingston do one that also acts as a battery charger and wireless network extender.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All important data is backed up. If you didn't back it up it wasn't important
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
matt_uk

Post by matt_uk »

Other SD cards or USB thumb drives.

Is this the device you're talking about?
http://www.kingston.com/en/wireless/wireless_readers#mlwg2

It looks pretty decent, anybody got one and can comment on the read/write performance?