Google Photos

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

nutter45

Google Photos

Post by nutter45 »

I was searching around the other day for online backups and read that Google have just relaunched Google Photos. Has anyone tried this?

Firstly it's a free backup service, unlimited as long as your file sizes are below 16meg (I think). It's also got a basic editing function and an intelligent sorting function, which picks up scenes and places as well as faces. It's very impressive.

It also randomly stylises photos, creates montages and animations, which is quite fun.
farmroad38

Post by farmroad38 »

I've been using Google for a couple of years, starting off when it was Picasaweb.

I still use Picasa for offline management, and sync various albums (not the whole lot) to Google Photos. The limitation used to be by image size in pixels, so not sure if that has changed.

Some of the things it does are fun, making automatic albums based on date and the like. It even took three photos I took of the same thing in quick succession and turned them into an animation. It's also pretty easy to link to the photos for use in forums etc.

I use Amazon and Picturelife for backing up my full sized photos.
Fatbloke

Post by Fatbloke »

I'd dearly love to see an update to Picasa. I'm not keen on all my stuff only being in the cloud and prefer to sync just the stuff I want to. Much prefer to sort and organise based on physical folders, creating online virtual albums only when I have something to share.

The increase in file size, is that referring to the actual file size or the MPixel size? If Mega Pixel, then my A55 DSLR will probably be right on the limit as it produces file 6~7MB in size.

What I don't understand is how this impacts your Google Drive limits (which you pay for). ISTR photos was (at least at some point) part of that total. But now wont be? :shrug:
farmroad38

Post by farmroad38 »

It used to be that anything under the pixel limit didn't count in any quotas at all, over that it was included in your Google Drive limit. Back in Ye Olden Dayes, Drive, Mail and Picasaweb were all separate quotas, but they amalgamated them a while back.

I'd like to see Picasa updated too. It's perfectly adequate for my needs and allows me to tag, organise and edit my photos without any added complication. I think it's a false hope though - Google seem to have abandoned it completely.
nutter45

Post by nutter45 »

Google drive is separate I believe.
farmroad38

Post by farmroad38 »

Just checked. From the Google Drive Help page:

"You have 15 GB of free storage to share across Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos."
vsehijpal

Post by vsehijpal »

There are some pretty cool search features, for instance search pizza / hiking / etc and you'll be shown pictures that feature that.
===========================
My FeedbackThread
kanedaa

Post by kanedaa »

farmroad38 wrote:Just checked. From the Google Drive Help page:

"You have 15 GB of free storage to share across Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos."

Just been reading up on this and that's probably going to be updated soon. The 15GB is only touched if you choose the 'Original' storage size option which uploads pics/video in their original form. If you choose the 'High' (free) option then it is truly unlimited, they just compress everything to quality equivalent to 16MegaPixels photos / 1080P video.

https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6220791?hl=en

Sounds pretty good for the casual user.
nutter45

Google Photos

Post by nutter45 »

^ that's my understanding. Select 'high' and it's all free, but may be compressed.

Edit: upload seems pretty slow, going to literally take weeks to upload 20,000 photos :nuts:
Fatbloke

Post by Fatbloke »

OK - so it looks like nothing has actually changed in regard to the photos storage. Selecting HIGH quality (16MegaPixels - NOT 16MegaBytes) allows unlimited storage, otherwise it counts against your Drive quote. https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6220791?hl=en-GB

I'm sure it I read somewhere it was 16MB which would have been 'Original' size for my photos. Hey ho.

As for Picasa, I've noticed this APP is now being pushed by Google on their help pages: https://photos.google.com/apps

This auto uploader is just a the sync part of Picasa as far as I can see so I doubt they will bother doing anything more with Picasa :|
Jannysimon

Post by Jannysimon »

Hello, Everyone Here I got some useful information can anyone please let me know how could I get backup my google photos? Affiliated Link
scoobyood

Post by scoobyood »

The search function on this is very interesting. When I search for castles through my pictures, it comes up with Tintagel. It correctly labelled nameless pictures from when I went last summer. So far so cool. Clever machine!

Now, I didn't take any pictures with my phone, only my SLR which doesnt have GPS. How did it know that images with sea, grass, rocks were of Tintagel castle? The only way is that my phone was with me when I was there, so it cross-referenced the time/date on the pictures with my precise whereabouts a year ago!
That is both very useful and ******* scary.

1+1
nutter45

Post by nutter45 »

As you might expect it's not infallible, I've got photos of meerkats in the birds 'things' set.

Very impressive generally though, and somewhat scary as you say!