HELP! new lens wont focus - Any Beginner tips? Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS FLD Zoom Lens

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

RomerojpgX

HELP! new lens wont focus - Any Beginner tips? Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS FLD Zoom Lens

Post by RomerojpgX »

Before I send it back and get a new one, just wondering if any of you have ideas.

I have a Canon 70D and this is only the second lens I have ever attached to it, my first is a Canon 17-55 and it just slots on and hey presto works perfectly. Never had to do anything.

Got this third party Sigma and hey presto it doesn't focus, tried manual and auto, stabilization on and off. Tried every setting I can mess with and still nothing. It just seems locked to focus about 5 foot in front of me and that is it, everything further is out of focus zoomed in or not.

So me being still new to SLR's I may as well ask you guys for ideas and any help before I email them and ask for help/replacement.

Many thanks :D and hey these big lenses are lighter than I expected (gladly!) :lol:
RomerojpgX

Post by RomerojpgX »

No ideas peeps? come on :D could I be attaching the lens wrongly?
Wendelius

Post by Wendelius »

If you matched the guide dot, no. I use all kind of lenses (Canon, Sigma, Tamron) on my Canon and there isn't anything special about 3rd party lenses. You slot them and make sure they are set to autofocus, not manual, and it should just work. No special steps.

I'd take it to a shop to test on another body.

Wendelius
Q

Post by Q »

It does have Autofocus doesnt it.Some Lenses have AF motors and others dont.Nikon its AF for no motor and AF-S for motor I think.
Boink!

Post by Boink! »

Yeah, I agree with Wend. It should just work (though serves you right for using a Canon camera).
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Does it have a macro button? Check that's not on.

Have you tried switching back to your 18-55 to check that works fine, and then remounting the Sigma - at least that would rule out the camera body.
Welcome to Scotland...
amcanally

Post by amcanally »

Have you checked your viewfinder adjustment thingumy? I accidentally knocked mine once, and couldn't understand why everything was out of focus. Long shot, but worth looking at - hope you get sorted :)
andrew
-------------------------
"Wings? - only the band The Beatles could've been"
RomerojpgX

Post by RomerojpgX »

Thanks everyone :) I guess I was just paranoid I was neglecting something with only ever using my one lens in my life haha Something simple could have been the cause.

Tried everything all you have recommended/suggested if I have the option, so at least I was fairly though :)

It a pretty top of the line Sigma (as far as they go) so auto focus and quite a nice thing it must be said. Suprised how nice and light it is compared to what I expcted, not small, but hey.

I just think I have a dud now, as looking at the distance readout on the top I notice it just will never go past 6 feet to focus, just tries focusing constantly in auto focus and just cannot jump past 6 feet. In manual focus again just wont go past 6 feet.

I would say it had some sort of distance lock off button, but nothing of that sort on this lens as far as I am aware, and as far as I know the Canon 70D cannot just lock focus under a distance like that (mind you I could be wrong haha).

So I will go and email the company and see about a replacement. I got my Canon 70D from the same company and that broke after 6 weeks haha Not very lucky me.