Have I damaged my camera?

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

Arthur Fowler

Have I damaged my camera?

Post by Arthur Fowler »

Yes, I know, I've been stupid.

Whilst on holiday, there was an annoying hair in the viewfinder of my Nikon 5100. I know what I'll do (I thought), I'll whip the lens off and use a puffer brush to get rid of it.
a) that didn't clean it
b) I've now got more specks in the viewfinder
c) I've realised that I might have damaged the camera in some way as I don't think my shots are sharp.

Yes, I know, I've been stupid.

What do you think from these photos, have I stuffed the focus, or isn't it possible to tell from these photos (if so, are there some others I could take that would help diagnose)?

All taken with 35mm prime on a tripod at 100ISO using single point focus at the middle of the photo.
Below taken at F1.8:

Above photo cropped at the point it should have been focussed on:

Below taken at F22:

Below taken at F1.8:
dataloss

Post by dataloss »

Your AF may need recalibrating but try manually focusing on something up close and far away first (A Tape Measure will work) ignoring the AF Confirm indicator and then take a shot with AF and compare before proceeding. (But don't try recalibrate it yourself if you don't know how) I use a Rocket Blower in my Camera but nothing else other than some warm air to loosen dust. Viewfinder dust can be annoying but normally has no effect on the mirror or sensor unless it sticks to those.
Woz

Post by Woz »

If you've only got crap on the mirror/prism, then it shouldn't affect the final image as they flip out of the way to expose the sensor.
I've got a few specs on the mirror of my 7D but they have never affected the final image quality.
Arthur Fowler

Post by Arthur Fowler »

dataloss wrote:Your AF may need recalibrating but try manually focusing on something up close and far away first (A Tape Measure will work) ignoring the AF Confirm indicator and then take a shot with AF and compare before proceeding. (But don't try recalibrate it yourself if you don't know how) I use a Rocket Blower in my Camera but nothing else other than some warm air to loosen dust. Viewfinder dust can be annoying but normally has no effect on the mirror or sensor unless it sticks to those.

Thanks, will try that at the weekend.

Woz: yes I know, the marks weren't affecting the final image which makes it all the more annoying that I decided to "fix" it.
Woz

Post by Woz »

A good check for focus is to lie a ruler down so it's laying away from you, then focus on a known distance on the rule...you should be able to see the exact point that the camera focussed on.