First DSLR camera - Shoot in RAW or JPEG?

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

RobDickinson

Post by RobDickinson »

So theres no white balance issue with black and white film. genius.

I know I'm being serious but its a serious advice thread. Film is , well, film. Love it for what it is.

Right I'm off for a surf :D
X360 tag : RobJD
ChrisBlack

Post by ChrisBlack »

Herbal

Post by Herbal »

Thanks everyone for their input thinking of shooting Raw+Jpeg so can have both. I am going to get a copy of Lightroom as there is an offer on atm and will be helpful in the future.

Just trying to find the best setting to take indoor pictures of my Son atm as he has no idea to keep still so A mode as sometimes you get lots of movement.
RobDickinson

Post by RobDickinson »

If you want to freeze motion you need a fast shutter speed.

Use shutter priority Tv set 1/200th and auto iso on
Boink!

Post by Boink! »

RobDickinson wrote:Right I'm off for a surf :D

and that's why I hate you. /shivering in his dressing gown with the wind & rain howling outside.
RobDickinson

Post by RobDickinson »

Boink! wrote:and that's why I hate you. /shivering in his dressing gown with the wind & rain howling outside.

It's not much better here now! Xmas morning was nice and sunny then it's been wet since and showing rain for the next 10 days! And it's summer holidays..
Herbal

Post by Herbal »

RobDickinson wrote:If you want to freeze motion you need a fast shutter speed.

Use shutter priority Tv set 1/200th and auto iso on

Thanks, have used the guide mode settings for the moment to get my head around it. But when i use a fast shutter speed its goes very dark. I understand i need to learn about the correct method is finding out the best setting. Just getting my head around it all. Think it might be worth doing a few courses.
RobDickinson

Post by RobDickinson »

Dark means you need to compensate for the fast shutter speed, as shorter shutter speeds let in less light.

So 1/100th lets in twice as much light as 1/200th

So to get the same exposure you have to open up the aperture by 'one stop' say f5.6 to f4, or bump the ISO by one stop, ISO 400 to 800.

One stop is half or double the amount of light.

And you can do this with any one of the 3 parts of the exposure triangle.

Shutter speed - aperture - ISO

When I said use Auto ISO in Tv mode this lets the camera decide on the correct exposure ( based on the selected metering method, later...) and it allows you to pick the shutter speed without having to worry about the rest. The camera will adjust aperture and ISO to get it right - according to its best guess.

Its best guess may not be right (it doesnt know you are shooting a snowy scene or a dark bar) so whenever using the cameras built in metering (most of the time) you then use 'Exposure compensation' to adjust the metering. Add +1 or +2 if you want the picture to be brighter, set it to -1 or -2 if it needs to be darker.

But make sure you are on Tv mode and auto ISO.
Herbal

Post by Herbal »

Thanks Rob for the detailed reply. I am starting to use S (tv) mode. But cannot get it to select auto ISO. But in the menu can select the max level i want it to be.

Looking around this is pretty common for the Nikon. There is no AUTO mode you just need to select the max ISO and the min shutter speed. (unless of course reading this wrong)
RobDickinson

Post by RobDickinson »

Ahh yes Nikon, doing it wrong since ages ago :-)

You can manually bump iso until you get the right exposure if needed
Herbal

Post by Herbal »

:D I just looked at your FB page Wow! (New follower) and a Canon boy i see :D

Thanks for the advice so far.
RobDickinson

Post by RobDickinson »

Thanks Herbal, I get a lucky shot now and then!
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

With Nikon you set Auto ISO on and the max iso. This then tells the camera to go from the iso you have set and the max iso.

So say you have your iso at 100 and your max iso at 800, the camera will go between 100 and 800 but will always try and stay nearer to 100 when it can (as that is what u have set).

There is usually a shutter speed setting on the same screen as Auto ISO this is the slowest it will drop the shutter before it starts increasing iso.

It sounds complicated but auto iso is fantastic.

Dave
Boink!

Post by Boink! »

Dave B wrote:It sounds complicated but auto iso is fantastic.

Dave

Something, despite owning four Nikon DSLRs over the years, I have never used (never read any camera manual either).
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Boink! wrote:Something, despite owning four Nikon DSLRs over the years, I have never used (never read any camera manual either).

Depends on the type of photography your doing I suppose. For landscape for instance when using a tripod you would never use it.

Dave
RobDickinson

Post by RobDickinson »

Yeah I use it infrequently but to a beginner it can be a good help.

And SLR's thesedays are so good up to 1600/3200 anyhow.