Online photo storage/backup? Which are he best options?

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

Stevie G

Online photo storage/backup? Which are he best options?

Post by Stevie G »

Hi guys

I'd like to back up all my photos to an online storage app but one that also has the ability for me to view the photos in their albums, but edit the access so that only I can see them.

Flickr seems the obvious one with its 1TB of free storage, but the website is really messy and clumsy and I can't seem to find any way of setting the default to make all new uploads private.

What other options are there? And is there a decent FLickr ipad app that can easily access the photos?

I might give PickBackMan a month or two subscription to get them all uploaded, but there are no options in there to set permissions (it seems to just upload to a 'set' called what the local folder was called.)

I've not really used any of these services yet so am not sure of other options. I have around 100GB of photos at a guess.

Thanks
PSN Gamertag: NoMrMoreNiceGuy
It's all about the scrobbling...
scoobyood

Post by scoobyood »

100GB?? 100MB would be like 10 pictures :lol:

Google Drive would be a good option. You can use Picasa or Google Drive to sync folders on your desktop. Picasa can be used to create albums and the like.. or now they've added the feature, when using just the Google Drive desktop application you can sync everything automatically and see those images in Google Plus Photos. Everything can be set as uploading to private by default without any trouble.
Stevie G

Post by Stevie G »

Yes, sorry, typo.... 100GB!

I've been uploading to Flickr using that Pickbackman. That works quite well but the flickr web site is really messy, there is no official app and the couple I've tried are ok but not great (Flickr studio and flickpad HD).

I thought the limit on google was way below 100gig?
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

I get 15gig on Google and that is spread across my account (mail, drive etc...)

Someone should develop a app/website that combines all the free space we get on all these accounts into one big space. For instance I get 15gb on Google, 25gb on Windows Live etc... I would have loads of space then all in One place.

Dave
| My GitHub Pages | gamerTag: FatDeadlyDave | Switch: 7317-0703-1128 |
Stevie G

Post by Stevie G »

AH, ok, thanks, so it's fairly low then when you're using it for photos.
driver8

Post by driver8 »

Dave B wrote:Someone should develop a app/website that combines all the free space we get on all these accounts into one big space. For instance I get 15gb on Google, 25gb on Windows Live etc... I would have loads of space then all in One place.
there's an app for this ... hold on ...

Here we go this is the one I was thinking of - CloudFuze - Never again will you have to log in to different apps to search for your files among your many cloud storage accounts. Just configure your Google Drive, Dropbox, and Box accounts on our Android app, and then easily access, manage, edit, and sync all of your files from one secure, efficient platform.

Turns out you can also use ES File Explorer

And here's a roundup of paid premium solutions - Five tools to help sync more than one cloud storage service
driver8

Post by driver8 »

And for some reason, some time back in August my Gmail increased from 15gb -> 25gb, but I don't remember that it's anything I did ! :thinking:

Anyone else got this ? Or heard anything about it ? I've googled and come up with nowt.

I've not upgraded my account as far as I know - my gmail says 13GB (53%) of 25GB used, and clicking on 'Manage' clearly states I'm on the free 15gb plan (with the 100gb plan @ $4.99/month).

But I'm reluctant to use the 10gb extra in case I get lumbered with a charge after a few months (like getting too much in your pay packet !)
scoobyood

Post by scoobyood »

I have an old google storage plan they no longer offer, with 80GB across all services for $20 a year.. so it works out better I suppose.
Stevie G

Post by Stevie G »

I did notice that with Google Picasa cloud photos below (something like) 2400x2400 don't count towards your storage limit, but those sizes are below even what most point and snap cameras use these days. Might be useful for keeping a resized copy of all my photos though.
hookbeak

Post by hookbeak »

Stevie G wrote:I did notice that with Google Picasa cloud photos below (something like) 2400x2400 don't count towards your storage limit, but those sizes are below even what most point and snap cameras use these days. Might be useful for keeping a resized copy of all my photos though.

This is what i do, full sized are kept on my HDD but a copy on Picassa cloud photos at a small res as

1. emergency backup
2. for viewing on iphone/ipad
njc

Post by njc »

Zoolz do 100Gb free storage, with a good desktop client too.

Or £68 for 5 years of unlimited storage:
http://www.zoolz.com/offers/ZoolzOffer