Photoshop & Lightroom for $9.99 a month

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

driver8

Post by driver8 »

Used a £5 'topup' bonus that was offered on checkout, so worked out at £70 (same as last year).
driver8

Post by driver8 »

| initiative-Q = free cash! | flickr | FB | eos6d | erazer x6807 | marantz+canton 5.1 | benq w1090 | dt990 | paperwhite | lenovo a10 | redmi note 9s |
cedge

Post by cedge »

This is a timely post; I'm thinking about Switching to something [standalone; not interested in subscription based software]. I have LR5 at present and was thinking of upgrading to LR6 but is there any point when I could put that money to a newer alternative.

I'll have a look at capture One but does anyone have any experience of using LR then switching to any of the others e.g. Capture One, ACDSee Ultimate, ON1 Photo RAW or Affinity Photo.

One of my concerns would be how easy would it be to import my catalogue into the new software to preserve LR RAW edits and metadata/ratings for example.
"Listen! You smell something?"

My Flickr Page | My Twitter | PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge
driver8

Post by driver8 »

Hi cedge. Only just seen your post - how did you get on ? Personally, I have no experience of this - I guess it's a case of googling to find people who have gone down a similar path.
driver8

Post by driver8 »

LR Reading:

5 Adobe Lightroom Plugins That Will Make Your Life Easier - cheap/free, and more functionality than you might expect (not exposure 'filters').

10 Lightroom Tricks That Will Make Your Life Easier - quick everyday tips you may have forgotten/overlooked.
cedge

Post by cedge »

driver8 wrote:Hi cedge. Only just seen your post - how did you get on ? Personally, I have no experience of this - I guess it's a case of googling to find people who have gone down a similar path.
Not very well. I didn't try Capture One as its very expensive. I had high hopes about Luminar but since they introduced the DAM to their tool, it looks like the software is unusable at present. I think I will end up upgrading to LR6 (still using the free NIK plugins which are great) for the mean time as my next camera purchase will still be supported by this version. I'll then re-evaluate the software market at a later date; hopefully by then a viable alternative will be available :).

driver8

Post by driver8 »

Worth a watch - a few shortcuts you might not be using, and interesting to see a pro at work (and to realise you're not far off, yourself !)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Sqbzd7ZLzOg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
cedge

Post by cedge »

cedge wrote:Not very well. I didn't try Capture One as its very expensive. I had high hopes about Luminar but since they introduced the DAM to their tool, it looks like the software is unusable at present. I think I will end up upgrading to LR6 (still using the free NIK plugins which are great) for the mean time as my next camera purchase will still be supported by this version. I'll then re-evaluate the software market at a later date; hopefully by then a viable alternative will be available :).
Unfortunately its now impossible to upgrade to LR6 (from an earlier version); adobe removed this upgrade path at the start of the year :(. My new workflow for future cameras will involve converting RAW files to DNG using Adobe's DNG converter (you can embed the original RAW for later extraction) and continue to use LR5 until a viable alternative with DAM becomes available.

driver8

Post by driver8 »

Robby
Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"

Post by Robby »

I like using Lightroom for storing and sharing albums but I'm ripping what little hair I have left out today.

Am I understanding correctly that to keep albums offline (ie download to store on a seperate HD) I have to have a specific lightroom downloader app? It seems nonsensical!

Anyway, I tried uploading a new album but was told i'd run over my 20gb allowance and now need to spend £30+ p/m to continue. I'm not willing to do that, and trying to delete old synced albums has taken me round in circles leading me to now have to download the mentioned downloader app just to hopefully free up space.

My long winded question .... Are there any lightroom alternatives out there? I do like using the software but even £10 a month is pricey for the amount of time I use it.
dataloss

Post by dataloss »

Try Luminar or Capture One

Capture One has a free cut down version for those with Sony or Fuji Cameras.

Affinity Photo is good Photoshop style replacement with RAW processing.

I've been playing around with Photoworks which is quite good and has loads of Film Simulations built into it.
AndyWilson

Post by AndyWilson »

I’m not quite sure what the issue is - I store several Tb catalogued and edited in LR on hard drives without paying any storage charges?
driver8

Post by driver8 »

TEXTURE - the first new LR slider since DEHAZE, 4 years ago !

The Texture Slider in Lightroom Classic - good overview

Introducing the Texture Control - more detail, from the guy who made the feature (and now can't live without it).
  • Positive Texture (+1 to +100) = Clarity + Sharpening.
  • Negative Texture (-1 to -100) is similar to Noise Reduction.
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Not sure if useful to anyone, got this by ordering something on Amazon.

3JMA-M253FK-HKPUBW

Congratulations, your order entitles you to a £16.00 promotional claim code for Adobe Cloud Creative Photography Plan 20GB. See redemption instructions below:

Go to Adobe Cloud Creative Photography Plan 20GB detail page - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LSU8PYO and choose the digital version
Click on 'Place Order' or 'Add to Basket'
At checkout, enter the promotional claim code in the "Gift Cards & Promotional Codes" box.
Complete your purchase within 14 days after receiving this email.
The savings will be reflected on the final order checkout page.
| My GitHub Pages | gamerTag: FatDeadlyDave | Switch: 7317-0703-1128 |
driver8

Video tutorials

Post by driver8 »

1) Seven Quick Lightroom tips - the noir look is something I'd not thought about !

2) Rammy K’s Lightroom Start-to-Finish Landscape Tutorial - interesting use of the tone curve, plus a neat technique swapping between HSL and split-toning (latter, I rarely use).

3) Lightroom Intermediate Level “From Raw Shot to Final Image” Tutorial - bit of a boring photo, but stick around till the end for a cracking shot!
driver8

Post by driver8 »

<a data-source="forums" data-type="Skimlinks" href="http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=3973X63 ... 2Fen-gb%2F" class="affiliatelink">Affinity</a> - Photo, Publisher, Designer
To provide some support during this incredibly difficult time, we’re now offering a 90-day free trial of all the Mac and Windows versions of the whole Affinity suite.

We’re also offering a 50% discount (including iPad versions).
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

I posted this in the bargain forum but thought I'd post it here as well:
Psycho wrote:Adobe is giving every subscriber two months of free subscription during this economic downturn.

"The company hasn’t announced this promotion anywhere, and you’ll need to follow a few steps to take advantage of it. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to get your free two months in just a few minutes."

https://petapixel.com/2020/03/18/adobe- ... to-get-it/

Didn't know the best place to post this (bargain, photography, computers, general) but thought I'd start here.

Hope this helps and few people who are struggling! :)
Graphic Design Website: www.ph-design.co.uk
Twitter: @pHdesign2011
eBay Auctions: Nothing at the moment
Trader Feedback: Trader Feedback Thread
driver8

Post by driver8 »

hehe ... yes, I spotted that at HUKD - it's a bit cheeky, as it's nothing to do with the pandemic, and just their usual retention policy!
driver8

Post by driver8 »

Down to £79.99 again -

<a data-source="forums" data-type="Amazon UK" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... dforums-21" class="affiliatelink">Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan 20GB: Photoshop + Lightroom | 1 Year | PC/Mac | Download</a>

Get all your photography essentials with the new Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan 1 year pre-paid licence, including the all-new Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC, 20GB of cloud storage, Photoshop CC, and more ... ie: includes the original Lightroom 'Classic' that many (most?) of us still use.
driver8

Post by driver8 »

Not sure quite why it's such a weird price, but this is the cheapest it's been, I think (apart from some voucher shenanigans years ago, iirc, that made it £70).
driver8 wrote:
Down to £73.72 -

<a data-source="forums" data-type="Amazon UK" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... dforums-21" class="affiliatelink">Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan 20GB: Photoshop + Lightroom | 1 Year | PC/Mac | Download</a>

Get all your photography essentials with the new Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan 1 year pre-paid licence, including the all-new Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC, 20GB of cloud storage, Photoshop CC, and more ... ie: includes the original Lightroom 'Classic' that many (most?) of us still use.