Yongnuo YN565EX 'pro' speedlite flash for Canon/Nikon - great value @ $160 NOW $113

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

driver8

Yongnuo YN565EX 'pro' speedlite flash for Canon/Nikon - great value @ $160 NOW $113

Post by driver8 »

EDIT 07-Feb-14 : Just spotted that the price of these has fallen -

$113 - Yongnuo YN-565EX Flash - ebay

or at DX - $114 - YongNuo Y565EX 2.0" whilst this listing shows the full (bewildering !) Yongnuo flash range.

==========================================================

[color="Gray"]Anyone used one of these ?

The Yongnuo 565-EX released a few months ago seems to be feature-packed, and a good value alternative to Canon/Nikon's own, at about £100.

DPreview discussion thread

Review & user discussion at Speedlights.net

$180 - from an Amazon.com reseller

$168 - Manufacturer's ebay store

$158 - 'PhotoGadget' ebay seller (with good photos & specs list)

The YN-565 competes with Canon’s 580EX II and the Nikon SB-900, but also with other 3rd party flashes in the professional class. Contrary to first rumors there’s no wireless master mode (commander mode): the YN-565 can be controlled by another commander flash (in the same way that Canon’s own 270EX II, 320EX, 430EX II and 580EX II can be controlled) but it does not have the ability to control other flashes itself. If you need a wireless master flash look at Canon 580EX II, Nissin Di866 / Di866-II, Metz 58 AF-2, or maybe at the Sigma EF-610 DG Super.
ФAWL SUPPORTED FOR N’s & C’s SYSTEM - The YN565EX can be triggered by 580EX II, SB-900/800/700, 7D/60D/600D, Nikon c-command and ST-E2, and flashes as TTL mode as well as M/Multi mode. To enjoy wireless TTL lighting, ratio control, as well as remote control of output level, you may only take a camera with built-in commander mode, and the YN565EX.

Ф TTL FLASH WITH LARGE GUIDE NUMBER - GN58@ ISO100, 105mm; which reaches the level of the mainstream hot shoe flashes, supports TTL/M/Multi mode.

Ф MULTIPLE TRIGGER MODE SUPPORTED - The YN565EX can be triggered by hot-shoe, flash command slave mode, optical S1, and S2(pre-flash-canceled mode).

Ф SUPPORTS AUTO/MANUAL ZOOMING - The YN565EX covers a focal length range of auto, and 24 to 105mm, supports full-frame/half-frame camera.

Ф COMPREHENSIVELY SUPPORTS TTL FUNCTIONS - FEC, FEB, Rear-curtain sync, FE lock, Modeling Light, Canon camera menu accessable

Ф SUPER SPEED OF CHARGING RECYCLE - It only takes 3 seconds to finish a charging cycle after a full level output, you can use external power pack to accelerate the charging speed once more.

Ф PROVIDES CHARGING SOCKET FOR EXTERNAL POWER PACK - YN565EX provides charging socket for external power pack, to meet your higher demand for charging recycle.

Ф PC PORT PROVIDED - YN565EX provides PC port,you can make the flash synchronously by connecting to the PC port.

Ф SOUND PROMPT SYSTEM - Turn on the sound prompt function, different sounds indicate working situations help you focus on shooting.

Ф MODELING LIGHT FUNCTION - Press down the camera’s depth-of-fired preview button, the YN565EX will send out continuous flash lasting one second.

Ф ADVANCED SETTINGS ON FLASH - The YN565EX supports advanced settings; you can customize the unit according to your shooting preferences.

Ф AUTOMATIC SETTINGS SAVING - YN565EX can save the current settings automatically.

Official site with user manual & videos

Image[/color]
| initiative-Q = free cash! | flickr | FB | eos6d | erazer x6807 | marantz+canton 5.1 | benq w1090 | dt990 | paperwhite | lenovo a10 | redmi note 9s |
Guest 60847

Post by Guest 60847 »

I recently got a couple of 560's. I didn't need the ETTL functions, which was what the 565 added, as I'd already got a 580EXII and a 430EXII and rarely use the TTL functions on those, other than on odd occasions.

Great little units for the money (less than £50 each, delivered for the 560's !)

Their remote tranceivers are brilliant for the money too.

God knows how they get away with it without having their arses sued off by Canon, it's virtually identical to the 580, formwise (with the controls from a 430 !)
driver8

Post by driver8 »

Thanks sandg - will look into the cheaper model too.

I'm not too well up on flashes, but weird that you don't use TTL much - isn't that what most 'normal' people will use ? Or are you into pro setups ?
paulsaz

Post by paulsaz »

Tempted by a couple of 560's or even the 460's for my off camera work. No need for ttl there.

I wouldn't want to be without ttl on my main gun but you pay quite a premium for it and manual isn't that tricky after a bit of trial and error.
Guest 60847

Post by Guest 60847 »

paulsaz wrote:Tempted by a couple of 560's or even the 460's for my off camera work. No need for ttl there.

I wouldn't want to be without ttl on my main gun but you pay quite a premium for it and manual isn't that tricky after a bit of trial and error.

What he said ^^^

I've got 2 flashes with TTL (580EXII and a 430EXII) that I use when I'm out and about but for modelling shoots on location, I always use manual flash and a light meter. I sometimes use Wireless ETTL but it's more trouble than it's worth and really fussy about line of sight, unlike the radio triggers that I've got for shooting manually.

The 560 really is a joy to use, so simple.

If you've already got an ETTL Speedlite (or two) then there's no need to spend the extra cash on the 565. If you haven't, then I'm fairly sure it'll be worth the money, considering the 580EXII is over £200 more.

You can get external battery packs for about £50 too, that more than halve the recharge time of the flashes and extend the battery life to more shots than you're likely to need on any shoot.
Boink!

Post by Boink! »

I have a Nikon SB-24, would one of these be good for a slave flash?(ie, will flash when the SB-24 fires)?
Guest 60847

Post by Guest 60847 »

Boink! wrote:I have a Nikon SB-24, would one of these be good for a slave flash?(ie, will flash when the SB-24 fires)?

The 565 will run as a slave if the Nikon is able to be used as a wireless master or your camera has a wireless master built-in.

Otherwise get a 560 and a couple of RF-603's (which I'd do anyway) and save yourself some money.

I've got 4 flashes firing off-camera now for an extra £150 over the 2 speedlites I already had (which cost me over £500 !)
Arthur Fowler

Post by Arthur Fowler »

I fancy a 565. I've never had a "proper" flash before (just used the onboard one with the predictable rubbish results!). Not sure about buying from a non-UK source though. What happens if it arrives non-working or breaks?
paulsaz

Post by paulsaz »

They'll replace if it's DOA. Not sure what their warranty is like but that's the risk you take with getting a clone of a £350 flash for about a third of the cost. The wireless triggers I've had from them have performed admirably, their stuff tends to be fairly well put together.
Big A

Post by Big A »

if i was to use this off camera with another Speedlite 580II (also off camera) with some pocketwizards would i lose any functionality over having another 580II ?

I already have the 580 and would like a second flash but this represents a decent saving over another 580EXII
Guest 60847

Post by Guest 60847 »

Big A wrote:if i was to use this off camera with another Speedlite 580II (also off camera) with some pocketwizards would i lose any functionality over having another 580II ?

I already have the 580 and would like a second flash but this represents a decent saving over another 580EXII

You'd lose no functionality at all...

Jesus, I'm starting to sound like I work for them !
Matholwch

Post by Matholwch »

Starting to be interested in this flash. Searching eBay, noticed that the manufacturers price it at $172 which is about £115, whilst there are resellers on fleabay, selling it for £100 - much difference in suppliers? They all seem to have decent feedback.
"I can see my house from heeeeeeerrrrre..."
Big A

Post by Big A »

Going to get one from ebay ('PhotoGadget' ebay seller) will let you know how i get on. really can't justify the price of another 580EXII when these are near on 1/3 of the price.

EDIT: scrap that, seems they don't work with Pcoketwizards afterall :( super expensive 560EXII here i come
driver8

BUMP !

Post by driver8 »

Just spotted that the price of these has fallen -

$113 - Yongnuo YN-565EX Flash - ebay

or at DX - $114 - YongNuo Y565EX 2.0" whilst this listing shows the full (bewildering !) Yongnuo flash range.
Deron

Post by Deron »

I've got the 560 wireless flash which I bought as a backup flash...

Works very well with the 603 triggers and doesn't cost much at all.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/YONGNUO-Function-Wireless-Speedlite-Flashgun/dp/B00CJRB2PY/thedvdforums-21
"If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win." Bill Shankly
500px
AndyWilson

Post by AndyWilson »

I've got a 560 II that's a real solid workhorse - I use it all the time with cheap ebay triggers - makes me wonder why I spent so much on Sony strobes