The Wedding Thread

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

Radiohead

Post by Radiohead »

Did you enjoy it?
Documentary Wedding Photographer | "Hills, more hills, nothing but hills. I thought it would never end" - Rene Pottier
ChrisBlack

Post by ChrisBlack »

Radiohead wrote:Did you enjoy it?

No :lol: It was bloody hard work, but I've learned lots.

I didn't charge for this, but if I had, I think I would have felt even more pressure. I've learned that my style of shooting (slow, methodical) doesn't really transfer well into the wedding arena. Also, manual focusing is a complete ******* with minimal artificial light.

I shot somewhere near 300 shots (just the reception - no wedding or prep) and after editing, I'm only going to feel comfortable offering circa 50-60 images to the couple. I can only feel slightly compensated that they got the same amount from the official photographer in Thailand.

So, an invaluable, if slightly frustrating experience. The couple initially stated they wanted about 10 or so group shots, but after the photographer in Thailand and the photographer for their service in Blighty, I think the bride was "over photographered" and just poo-poohed the group shots on the day, leaving me to try and get what I could out of a pretty featureless building that was a rammed as a tin of sardines.

To compound this, when I tried to organise a couple of shots with grannies etc said couple just wanted the shot taken where ever they were - namely in front of fire exits etc. By this time though, I was running on fumes and just gave them what they wanted and how they wanted it.

So hats off to you Guy and all the other wedding photographers out there. I have even more respect for the images you guys manage to come away with.

I have resigned myself to the fact that shooting for me is the future and that I will always be another amateur in the crowd. Not always a bad thing ;)
richie-t

Post by richie-t »

I'm going to a friends wedding this saturday, and shall be taking my trusty D50, my new tamron 17-50mm 2.8 and the 50mm 1.8.

They asked if I minded getting some additional photos (they have a pro on the day anyway) and i was more than happy to oblige.
alchemist

Frimley Hall Hotel Wedding

Post by alchemist »

A few from a wedding the weekend before last. Polish bride and English Groom. More on the blog if you're interested.

Surrey Wedding Photojournalist
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool."
Guest 39232

Post by Guest 39232 »

:thumbs: to number 4 (the others are good too!) for the abstract quality to it!
ChrisBlack

Post by ChrisBlack »

Jesus! That's put me off posting any more of my crap! :lol:

Brilliant stuff, Tony :)
Radiohead

Post by Radiohead »

Nice work - she's lovely isn't she.

Great write-up Chris!
Documentary Wedding Photographer | "Hills, more hills, nothing but hills. I thought it would never end" - Rene Pottier
alchemist

Post by alchemist »

Cheers guys. Yep I was a fan of the abstract veil shot (4) as well. Had a certain magic about it.

Now don't be silly and keep posting!
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool."
richie-t

Post by richie-t »

alchemist - they are amazing. Number 5 is fantastic. Really love that one.

What sort of setup do you have for the disco shots?

Got my friends wedding tomorrow, would love to be able to catch a few good ones...
sworrall

Post by sworrall »

great shots tony, love 4 and 8 (although I usually hate the dotty lasers!)
alchemist

Post by alchemist »

I hate the dotty lasers too. I always ask them to turn them off for the 1st dance. After that though, I generally have to put up with them!

For the dancefloor I use a mixed setup that varies a bit depending on the location.

The dancing images you see here are all shot with ambient. So wide open at ISO6400 or something. I tend to find that shooting the dance floor by ambient creates more intimate/romantic images, while flash allows for more dramatic images.

So I shoot partly ambient, partly flashed.

I tend to have two off-camera speedlites, one bare, as a directional key/rim light (depending on camera position), and then a fill speedlite bounced off a silver umbrella. They tend to be placed somewhere between 90-180 degrees of one another. Sometimes I like to shoot the dance floor with a third flash on-camera to provide a touch of fill, but that's generally in more challenging situations. Here's a couple from the same wedding that give an idea of the flashed approach. You can see the bare flash in these, and the fill is to camera left.

A.

B.

C.

Tbh, I'm more of an ambient shooter so consider that my particular strength, but flash has it's place, and used well it can be very effective during the evening.
richie-t

Post by richie-t »

Thanks for the detailed reply :)

Now if only my D50 would do ISO6400.....

I'm going to have to bust out the SB25 on my D50 and shoot manual!
richie-t

Post by richie-t »

Do any of you guys/girls have any tips for post processing in photoshop?

I'm assuming you probably have your own actions, but can anyone point me in the direction of some free ps actions that'll spruce up my photos a bit?

Decent black and white conversions/vignettes/colour pops etc.

I've had a quick look on deviantart, but its a mixed bag.
driver8

Post by driver8 »

Perfect Effects 3 - free edition
Perfect Effects 3 Free is a great way to add a heavy dose of excitement or a subtle amount of elegance to your photos. Based on the full-featured Perfect Effects 3, this free version includes over two dozen effects that will enhance and stylize your photos.
Get live previews of each effect along with the ability to adjust the strength and where the effect is placed on your photo. Perfect Effects 3 Free can be used as a plug-in directly within Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Lightroom or Aperture. You can even use Perfect Effects 3 Free on its own as a standalone application and get more effects from the onOne Marketplace.

10 Best Resources to find Free Photoshop Plugins and Filters
Get Free Photoshop Plugins and Filters from 10 different websites which are best to use.
richie-t

Post by richie-t »

driver8 wrote: Perfect Effects 3 - free edition
Perfect Effects 3 Free is a great way to add a heavy dose of excitement or a subtle amount of elegance to your photos. Based on the full-featured Perfect Effects 3, this free version includes over two dozen effects that will enhance and stylize your photos.
Get live previews of each effect along with the ability to adjust the strength and where the effect is placed on your photo. Perfect Effects 3 Free can be used as a plug-in directly within Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Lightroom or Aperture. You can even use Perfect Effects 3 Free on its own as a standalone application and get more effects from the onOne Marketplace.

10 Best Resources to find Free Photoshop Plugins and Filters
Get Free Photoshop Plugins and Filters from 10 different websites which are best to use.

Thanks for your reply dude. I've had a good luck around today and started having a play with lightroom, as ive always stuck with PS. I do like the lightroom presets...a lot. Nice and quick and less hassle than PS.
Radiohead

Post by Radiohead »

Not my usual locations

KennyVader

Post by KennyVader »

I'm pretty sure that's not Southend

Very nice
Matholwch

Post by Matholwch »

Very nice Guy - loving the first shot, great composition! :thumbs:
Did see on your blog you were off to Sorrento, lucky you :D
"I can see my house from heeeeeeerrrrre..."
Psybear

Post by Psybear »

Never posted on this thread before, because I'm not a wedding photographer. However I was a guest at a wedding on Saturday and I caught a few shots that I'm happy with.

The Ring by akaPaddy, on Flickr

The Bride by akaPaddy, on Flickr

The Kiss by akaPaddy, on Flickr
Psybear

Post by Psybear »

Oh and I love those Sorrento shots Guy. The lighting is fantastic. Was it all natural or was there any off-camera flash used?