A day photographing London

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Sorry to bring up a old thread but am off to London again for another day trip.

This time am going on Nov 5th, so wondering should I do a similar walk as I did last time ?

Also what is worth shooting once it goes dark, my train back isn't till 9pm :-)

Dave
Fatbloke

Post by Fatbloke »

If it's nice weather, definitely. Lots of buildings are lit in the evening. London Eye from the northern side of the Embankment. Also, get onto Waterloo Bridge and look back towards the financial area (towards the Gherkin) that's always a nice skyline at night.
RomerojpgX

Post by RomerojpgX »

Wish I had seen this thread! I just went for the weekend, to say its a madhouse is an understatement! what a place...... still amazing for photos! and I always felt so safe it was insane!
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Any other tips ? (only 2 days away now)

Dave
nutter45

Post by nutter45 »

Fatbloke wrote:If it's nice weather, definitely. Lots of buildings are lit in the evening. London Eye from the northern side of the Embankment. Also, get onto Waterloo Bridge and look back towards the financial area (towards the Gherkin) that's always a nice skyline at night.

Exactly this. Start opposite Houses of Parliament and work your way along the south bank to the east, stopping off on some bridges, all the way to tower bridge if you can :thumbs:
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Cheers, will do.

Dave
nigel_williams

Post by nigel_williams »

Along the South Bank is probably best. Starting near Parliament you get to see many of the prominent buildings on the skyline. Many of the bridges are also lit so you can get nice views of St Pauls including a shot over Millennium Bridge (presume you have a tripod). Some nice buildings around Tower Bridge, including The Shard, Tower of London and County Hall.
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Not sure I will take my big tripod, was hoping to get by with my gorilla pod.

Dave
nigel_williams

Post by nigel_williams »

You can probably manage along the Thames, I used a mini tripod last time. But you would need one for the Millennium Bridge shot, not sure there's a central railings for support.
The Bear

Re: A day photographing London

Post by The Bear »

I went up The Shard last week. 800ft up. Fantastic view. I imagine it would look amazing just after dusk when all the lights start coming on.

£30 if you just rock up or £25 if you book, and it's literally right outside London Bridge tube station.
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Last time I was there the Shard was still under construction. Didn't even know what it was till I got home and seen it on the news.

Got me thinking now if I want to take my tripod. It is in a bag so could keep it away till dusk.

Dave
wobbly Jelly

Post by wobbly Jelly »

we did the wheel at sunset with kids - pure luck on timing, but that was impressive - although I guess sunset might be early.

Put get off tube at Westminster and walk past Houses of Parliament - Big Ben, Eye etc.
designed on the back of a fag packet - by a non-smoker
nutter45

Post by nutter45 »

The Bear wrote:I went up The Shard last week. 800ft up. Fantastic view. I imagine it would look amazing just after dusk when all the lights start coming on.

£30 if you just rock up or £25 if you book, and it's literally right outside London Bridge tube station.

Fatbloke

Post by Fatbloke »

Pretty impressive that you can get the Palace of Westminster in there AND St Pauls - they are not exactly near each other ;)

Was that taken yesterday? It was so clear and bright all day yesterday, you could see for miles it seemed. Dusk would have looked awesome I bet.
The Bear

Re: A day photographing London

Post by The Bear »

Sunset is at 4:26pm today. Any time round then should look nice.
nutter45

Post by nutter45 »

Fatbloke wrote:Pretty impressive that you can get the Palace of Westminster in there AND St Pauls - they are not exactly near each other ;)

Was that taken yesterday? It was so clear and bright all day yesterday, you could see for miles it seemed. Dusk would have looked awesome I bet.

That was taken fairly soon after it opened, Feb I think.
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Where would be a good place for sunset, if it's clear ?

Just checked http://www.suncalc.net/#/51.5112,-0.1198,15/2013.11.05/09:12 and it looks if am near the wheel it will go down behind houses of parliment. So that might be nice but standing across the river from the wheel might be nice as well.

Open to suggestions though.

Leaving house at 10:30, so won't be reading any comments after that :-(

Dave
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Well I survived :-)

It was cloudy most of the day and couldn't seem to get motivated at first, there seemed to be roadworks and scaffolding everywhere.

I could see the sky clearing up though when the sun was going down, so made my way from Buckingham Palace towards Big Ben. Not sure what the bridge is called between Big Ben and the wheel side of the river but oh my god it was full of people taking pictures, some with tripods, some flashing with compacts and the odd idiot with a tablet (in fact saw a lot of people using tablets to take pictures). Got chatting to a guy and he was doing a time lapse, been there since 3:30pm (it was 5pm when we where chatting), he said he would let it run till it was dark.

Once it went dark I started at Trafalgar square, fountains looked nice but some kind of protest was going on and there was people and police everywhere, I told the police all these people where spoiling my image but don't think they where in mood (or the police outside downing street, guarded Jag leaving when I got their and said to the police, have I missed the PM, was hoping for a brew. They just looked blank, maybe they hear it too much).

Big Ben next, wanted to do some traffic trials with big ben in the background. It was nice and lit up, so that worked well.

Then I walked up the river, shot wheel and building next to it from across the river (bit too Blue if you ask me). Didn't realise the wheel went around so slowly, need welding glass to do a decent motion type image.

Done the bridge with St Pauls, no where to put gorrila pod, so went to the side of the bridge, on the walk way that goes under it.

Stayed on this side and then next was tower bridge, near the navy ship is some fountains, so did some slow shutter stuff with the bridge in the background.

From the bridge done some nice buildings on the tower of london side and did the shard and surrounding buildings. Crossed the bridge and done one from the tower of london side.

Was hoping to get to the lloyds of london then but ran out of time.

Can't believe how many police there was, all parked up around parliament, trafalgar square and seemed to just be everywhere. Also can't believe the amount of cyclists, at some lights the box thing they sit in was full all the way across the road.

Thanks for everyones tips.

Will post some pics when I have gone through them.

Dave
Woz

Post by Woz »

The police might have been there because of The Million Mask March, which seems to have been suspiciously under-reported.
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Yeah that was it, they did have masks on and just watched a report on ITN website about it. They marched from Trafalgar square to parliament, hence the heavy police presence at both.

Dave