The Official(?) Film Camera Thread - Part 2

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

At The Gates

Post by At The Gates »

I doubt Ilford have anywhere near the amount of resources to buy Kodak's film division. And would they take on the colour films? How would it work for whoever bought it, would they buy all Kodak's production plants etc or just the patents and recipes for the film emulsions?

It's a shame really, especially with Fuji slowly discontinuing everything Neopan, potentially no more TRI-X or Tmax.

Should be good news for Ilford and it least it means we have some companies still in the film game.

I'm just waiting for the day Neopan 400 is discontinued completely :(
Boink!

Post by Boink! »

Fujifilm quits motion picture film production
Fujifilm has gracefully pulled themselves out of the motion picture film production race from next spring onwards, with the main scourge of this business being their reason; being unable to maintain profitability. This is largely attributed to the rapid digitalization of the cinema industry, according to Kyodo News. It must be said that Fujifilm has had a long and distinguished history in the creation of film for movie cameras and for screening in theaters, clocking up nearly 80 years of experience in the field since it was establishment all the way back in 1934 (that is before World War 2 even started to get a better idea on how far back that was). These days, the entertainment industry tends to use digital cameras to shoot movies due to the subsequently easier editing and distribution processes.

Full press release here
ajw000

Post by ajw000 »

Not been paying much attention over the last year or so to film developments (wah ha ha), but just seen this? Just got an email saying it was a successful kickstarter project from Impossible:

That's, errr, interesting...
AndyWilson

Post by AndyWilson »

Sad news today - Kodak have stopped production of my favourite film :(

http://photorumors.com/2012/10/02/kodak-discontinues-t-max-p3200-film/
Woz

Post by Woz »

In case any one is interested there is an OM4Ti black in Ox am in Wokingham for £180.
It has a little brassing but comes complete with box.
Seems a very good price to me but I can't justify it right now :(
Boink!

Post by Boink! »

Woz

Post by Woz »

LOL!!!!
What morons.
At The Gates

Post by At The Gates »

AndyWilson

Post by AndyWilson »

That took me a minute - well, until I scrolled down the page...
DeadYankee

Post by DeadYankee »

It is listed as used, to be fair
At The Gates

Post by At The Gates »

I'm probably late to the party but Poundland have Agfa PhotoVista+ 200 for £1 a roll. It's made in Japan and marked as CN-16 on the can which would indicate it's actually Fuji film. I don't suppose it will be amazing but for a quid a roll it will do.
Wishy

Post by Wishy »

Probably fuji Superia 200, which is a perfectly good film.

Only problem is i would guess its 24 exposure?
At The Gates

Post by At The Gates »

It's 36 exposure which is nice. I bought a load to do some test runs with my new C41 kit.
Boink!

Post by Boink! »

An interesting read on the state of the film market now: APUG

And check out the last couple of episodes of the film photography podcast, they've got several interviews with industry types from Photokina and PDN PhotoPlus Expo in New York. The end result being that it's not looking too bad for film.
Woz

Post by Woz »

Help!!!
I friend has just dropped around his old darkroom kit and I really wasn't expecting quite so much. I've now got a Jobo developer tank thing, a posh looking enlarger with about 5 lenses (Minolta lenses, not looked at the enlarger yet), tanks, trays, colour analysers dyes and boards galore...I'm not quite sure what to do with it all. I swapped it for 3 old bikes I had.

The question is, it includes a ton of Ilford paper and chemicals which date from the mid 90's! Is there even a small chance this stuff will work now? I'll try and get more information about exactly what I have if this helps...

Thanks! :)
At The Gates

Post by At The Gates »

Ilford Multigrade paper might be ok still, probably unlikely after 20 years unless it was refrigerated in the dark. Depends how it was stored. Worst case is you try it and if you get fogging and no contrast etc then replace it.

Chemicals will be shot.
Boink!

Post by Boink! »

Photographer Discovers WWI Negatives in Antique Store Camera

On the glass plates inside of a Jumelle Belllieni stereoscopic camera that photographer bought at an antique store, he found some old negatives. And we mean old… like WWI France old.

Story: here
Bigger photos: here

Damn!
paulsaz

Post by paulsaz »

Time to resurrect the film thread to show off a couple of new arrivals.

New Arrivals by paulsaz, on Flickr

The Bronica was a Sunday evening ebay impulse buy and the Kodak I've inherited. Was originally my Great Grandfathers, it still has the receipt from when he bought it in 1963 in Ashford in Kent.

I've also developed my first roll of film after being impressed with the ilford stand and staff at focus earlier in the month. I'm using the paterson kit and ilford chemicals and the first roll came out ok I think. Need to get a scanner to make use of the negs, was thinking maybe an epson 500 unless anyone has any better recommendations for under £200?

The Bronica handles lovely, could do with a slightly wider lens so will be keeping an eye out for a 50mm I think. I'm going to see how friendly that hotshoe will get with my radio triggers and studio lights tomorrow.
ChrisBlack

Post by ChrisBlack »

Don't forget, 50mm on MF is fairly wide.

As for a scanner, the Canoscan 9000f will do you for 35mm and 120 : Amazon.co.uk
paulsaz

Post by paulsaz »

Yeah was wanting something a bit more landscapey so a 50 should be fine for that I think, there is a 40 but it's pricier. 75 will do for now portrait and general use although I may also keep half en eye out for a 150 for portrait work.

Does seem to come down to the 9000f vs v500 when looking at that price point, fans of both on the web but most seem to favour the 500 and claim it's marginally better. Doubt I'd notice much difference between either to be honest.