The Official(?) Film Camera Thread - Part 2

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

Boink!

Post by Boink! »

Don't forget to post some results here, Colin.
ajw000

Post by ajw000 »

Haven't used my land camera for a while and was hoping to take it on holiday with me. I've not been keeping in touch with the news on instant film. What's the latest on fuji packfilm? Can see Fp100C still around but no b&w anymore? Is that correct?
ChrisBlack

Post by ChrisBlack »

I am not in a position to confirm this, but I read a tweet today that Fuji are/have discontinued/discontinuing pack film. Not sure if thats just malicious gossip, but I can't see anything on Fuji's website about it.

Sorry if thats not too helpful :shrug:
Wishy

Post by Wishy »

ajw000 wrote:Haven't used my land camera for a while and was hoping to take it on holiday with me. I've not been keeping in touch with the news on instant film. What's the latest on fuji packfilm? Can see Fp100C still around but no b&w anymore? Is that correct?

FP100B is gone, FP3000B is still around, but can be a bugger to get hold of

Not heard anything about discontinuation
Boink!

Post by Boink! »

Boots May Close All Film Photo Labs
Boots will not rule out that it may be forced to close its entire fleet of 520 traditional film processing labs, due to falling demand, putting hundreds more jobs at risk.

More from amature photographer

They're already closed the Surrey developing branch

Don't thing I've used Boots for years, all my processing (since switching to MF) has gone to Snappy Snaps.
ChrisBlack

Post by ChrisBlack »

My Canoscan 9000f arrived today. Yeah, its a flatbed, but the resolution is respectable and it covers the 35mm - 120 range I need it to, so, at long last, I don't need to go to the likes of Boots etc to do my devving* - I can almost become self sufficient.

*Obviously, I could soup at home prior to this but this would seem retarded as there would be no final product. Over.
Wishy

Post by Wishy »

As long as film is produced, I'm self sufficient for all processes on all formats. (E6, C41, BW, Experimental on anything from 16mm/110 to 10x8, 20x24 will require an extra drum)

I think the loss of high street developers is inevitable to be honest, plenty of decent mail order labs producing great results at sensible prices
ChrisBlack

Post by ChrisBlack »

A Jobo CPE2 plus is still on my shopping list. Would be killer to dev my own E6. I'd shoot Velvia until it came out my ears. Which, in itself, would be a photographic opportunity.
Wishy

Post by Wishy »

*Looks at 45 rolls of E6, 10 rolls of C41 and 5 rolls of B&W from seattle trip*

Well, least I'm not paying £5 a roll for processing...
Woz

Post by Woz »

Figured that this was a good place to put this.
I stumbled across a fascinating (but dry) website about a dying art form in Afghanistan:

http://www.afghanboxcamera.com/

Edit: ancient double post!
Guest 7607

Post by Guest 7607 »

Anyone know whats happened to HolgaBlog?
ajw000

Post by ajw000 »

RPG wrote:Anyone know whats happened to HolgaBlog?

I ended up not having enough time with it about 18months ago, so transferred it to a couple of writers who were dead keen. From there, after an initial few articles, it didnt seem to get updated as much, and looks like they haven't paid their hosting bill! Bit of a shame really :(

edit-if there was a particular article needed (one of the older ones), i took a dump of the ones here, loads photos wont work now though: http://www.goatkarma.com/articles/
Boink!

Post by Boink! »

RPG wrote:Anyone know whats happened to HolgaBlog?

THe guy's been studying medicine for the last four years, so I guess his time is taken up with that.
Boink!

Another one bites the dust.

Post by Boink! »

Fujifilm UK has announced the complete discontinuation of its Fujichrome Velvia 100F, as well as a range of Velvia 50 formats

Fujifilm Professional is putting an end to the production of its Fujichrome Velvia 100F in 35mm, 120 and 4x5 formats, and Velvia 50 in 4x5 and 8x10, BJP has learned. The last shipment of these films will arrive in the UK in December 2012.

Fujifilm tells BJP that its Velvia 50 will continue to be distributed in 35mm and 120 formats.

Link
ChrisBlack

Post by ChrisBlack »

I've just been berated over at another forum for saying that Fujifilm are hypocritical for championing their Choose Film community whilst slowly cutting back on their film lines.

I'm hardly likely ever to use their LF stuff, but MF, yeah, and I love the look of Velvia, but have never tried Velvia ***F.

I just find it a shame that you can see transparency going down the toilet. It was inevitable I suppose, but sad, none the less.

Thank God for Ilford, is what I say. Shame they don't do colour.
AndyWilson

Post by AndyWilson »

Velvia 100 is still going to be available though isn't it?
ChrisBlack

Post by ChrisBlack »

Yep. Regular Velvia 100 has escaped the cull for now. I was looking to stock up from 7dayshop.com as they listed their expired Velvia as low stock, but in fact, they have none. They always seem to do this.
Wishy

Post by Wishy »

Sad to see a reduction in lines, but better they reduce the lines and keep a stable, profitable E6 line than decide to cull it because they're not making any money.

I am a little surprised that they've not decided to keep the existing lines in order to see what happens to demand now Kodak are out of the slide film game. But I guess they can always reintroduce, as they did with Velvia 50.

Ilford are dedicated, but I must say I'd take TMax over delta any day of the week.
Wishy

Post by Wishy »

So, kodak is floating off their film division.

To my mind, this is actually good news.
- The film division is (and should continue to be - demand hasn't dropped for some years now. Those who want digital switched some years ago) profitable. Infact, one of the most profitable parts of the company
- Motion picture is starting to look a lot more iffy (we're basically where we were in 2000-2002. Digital has its place, but few blockbusters are shooting digital yet)
- "The market" sees film to be an area they don't want to be involved in
- The buyer will hopefully understand the market better and concentrate on producing decent products at a competitive price without expectation of huge growth to keep the shareholders happy

Kodak can keep their printer division. (A bad move really, they're not making money with this venture, despite being tendy and market appeasing)
ChrisBlack

Post by ChrisBlack »

It would be sweet if Ilford could snap this up, but, I don't think they have the revenue to do this (although I have nothing but supposition to base this on).

Shame for Kodak & a bit daft, as they're still making profit from this division.