Can I transfer DV to DVD,

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

d.boyd1uk

Can I transfer DV to DVD,

Post by d.boyd1uk »

could a shop do it, i have my kids for the last 5 yrs on them, I have about 18 tapes.
padder

Post by padder »

Don't have a DVD writer but I believe you can get about 1 hour of DVD quality footage on 1 writable DVD.

Never seen anyone advertising but I'm sure that local independant video stores would do this sort of thing.

To be honest, with the amount you have you'd be better off buying your own DVD writer and doing it yourself. I'm sure it would be cheaper than getting someone else to do it and you'd still have the writer for future use. If you buy a retail version you will also get the authoring software.
CLH

Post by CLH »

I'm transferring them to SVCD at the mo using Magix Movies on CD and DVD.

DVD writers are getting ever cheaper. Best wait until end of year and pick one up for under £100. All the stores I've seen want £30 per hour!
Guest 45

Post by Guest 45 »

A Superdrive-equipped G4 Apple Mac (Powermac, flat-screen iMac or the new Powerbook G4) does this straight out of the box (it comes with all necessary software as well) and will let you record up to 90 minutes on a single DVD-R (it's 60 minutes at full bitrate, 90 minutes slightly reduced, though in practice you're unlikely to notice the difference).

Their professional DVD Studio Pro software lets you set the bitrate yourself so you can cram far more onto a disc - if I remember rightly, up to roughly 135 minutes provided you don't mind sacrificing picture quality. The downside, though, is that the software is much harder to use, and expensive at nearly a grand.

I'd offer to transfer your footage myself if I could play DV tapes, but sadly I can't. But if you live anywhere near the South Coast and are prepared to lend me your camcorder, we might be able to arrange something.
d.boyd1uk

Post by d.boyd1uk »

Thanks for the offer

I think i will try and get done in a shop, I live in Wales