Panasonic NV DS30 - Your Reviews ?

This is the place to discuss cameras, camcorders and anything you want to do in relation to photography. Also home to the 'photography competition'.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

Guest 20

Panasonic NV DS30 - Your Reviews ?

Post by Guest 20 »

I know that a few on here have this camcorder

I would like to know if its any good

Can be had for a bargain £358.59 here http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/mainscreen.asp

Really tempted

Stu
Guest 20

Post by Guest 20 »

Has everybody sold them then ?

:)

Stu
Vman

Post by Vman »

Wanna bump this one as I'm so close to getting one of these. I even got approval to proceed last night (at great cost mind you), so, just how good are these ?
Guest 18

Post by Guest 18 »

I've got the DS29B - exactly the same as the 30, except no DV-IN.

It's nice and light, and comfortable to hold.

Picture quality is excellent, DV capture onto my PC is flawless - no dropped frames.

I like the tape loading mechanism - hidden behind the screen, which is much better than the bottom loaders you see on other cameras.

The buttons on top of the camera aren't very sensitive, you have to hold them down to get them to work.

My only real gripe is with the audio. The built in stereo mike seems to pick up sound behind the camera better than in front. I'm thinking about buying an external directional mike.

The 0-Lux mode is quite good - only B&W though, and the built in light is a bit of a gimmic - it's not really powerful enough.

The battery supplied only lasts for about 45 mins. You need a bigger battery really. I bought mine from here:

http://www.sabahoceanic.com/vpanasonic.html

£45 a pair of 4 hour batteries delivered, much cheaper than buying from the UK.

Overall I'm very pleased with it, and it's great for making video CDs of family movies. I wish I'd bought the DS30 for the DV-IN though.
Guest 20

Post by Guest 20 »

I ended up buying one mate, and i think they are well worth the dough

£350 ish

but then you'll need

Tapes
Extra battery - the one supplied only lasts an hour
Firewire card - to put video and images onto you PC - if you wish

Really chuffed with mine

First use was to film the local "Charity Stars in You Eyes"
So as you can imagine, high volumes, lots of flashing lights and stuff

The camera dealt with all this very well, hardly ever losing focus beacuse of the frequent change in lighting direction.
Sound is excellent, however i did pick up a bit of adjacent crowd chatter ( could have been because of the setting i had the audio on )

Quality must have been good as i have had orders for more than 60 VHS copies (and there still coming in )

All in all an excellent purchase if you plan to use frequently

Stu
DM

Post by DM »

That's a good price. I got mine from http://www.letsgodigital.co.uk/ for a whole £1 more :mad:

:p

Well impressed, although I haven't done any proper editing with it as yet. Picture looked really good when I hooked it up to the telly/PC.
Vman

Post by Vman »

Thanks guys,

Think I'll buy the camcorder from PRC Direct.

I can pick up the spare tapes form wherever, and the batteries from the link (though they are out of stock at the moment).

a question I now have is with the software, how good is it ? I have read that ppl rave about pinnacle studio, as I haven't got a firewire card, Is the pinnacle deluxe (inc card/cable) a good buy ?
Guest 20

Post by Guest 20 »

I bought a firewire card from PCworld that came with Videowave software

Getting the data off the DVTape is easy. Editing is a whole different ball game. I'm nowhere near sorting that out yet

I also have Adobe Premiere 6.0 . Thats seems way to advanced for me as its semi pro.

I need to sit with it for a couple of days

Anyone know of Adobe Premiere for dummies book ?

Stu

Post by Guest »

Very impressed, there isn't really anything else extra I can add to the above really.

I am in the process of editing the footage shot on the camcorder, Its a slow process but I am getting there.
Guest 1771

Post by Guest 1771 »

I had a Panny NVDB something or other and it died after 3 years! The tape loading mechanism locked and the repair was £120.00 and that was without £30 delivery ! It was never the same after repair and went back to the shop 5 times and in the end they wrote it off saying it needed a new main board with total £525.00 repair bill - no thank you!

I'm looking to get another and obviously shy away from Panny - those who've bought or who are buying, are there any reasonably priced (circa £500) cams with the Digi pic facility
Guest 20

Post by Guest 20 »

Originally posted by Alan. b
Very impressed, there isn't really anything else extra I can add to the above really.

I am in the process of editing the footage shot on the camcorder, Its a slow process but I am getting there.

What software are you using Alan ?

I really want to do this, and i have about 60Gig (4 hours) of footage on my HD. I want to edit it to make a respectable DVD. The VHS copies i'm making are straight off the tape

Post by Guest »

Originally posted by Stu Ward
What software are you using Alan ?

At the moment I am using the Windows Movie Maker which I am more than happy with, I have only got 40 minutes worth to play with, but 4 hours :shocker:
Guest 20

Post by Guest 20 »

Is that the one that comes with XP ?

Stu

Post by Guest »

Yes, although you can download it from download.com. Do a search for Windows Movie Maker :)
reptar

Post by reptar »

Post by Guest »

I ended up buying one mate, and i think they are well worth the dough

£350 ish

...etc...

Quality must have been good as i have had orders for more than 60 VHS copies (and there still coming in )

All in all an excellent purchase if you plan to use frequently

Stu

SHould have taken a look at letsgodigital.co.uk, I think its slightly cheaper there.

But still, you got a bargain as I paid 350 quid for the DS29B only 6 months ago. The camcorder is great and the picture quality is excellent :) No complaints here:

Buy your camcorder case from Argos, 14.99 :)
and camcorder tapes from http://www.pricebusters.org.uk.
DM

Post by DM »

Originally posted by zaheerm
SHould have taken a look at letsgodigital.co.uk, I think its slightly cheaper there.

But still, you got a bargain as I paid 350 quid for the DS29B only 6 months ago. The camcorder is great and the picture quality is excellent :) No complaints here:

Buy your camcorder case from Argos, 14.99 :)
and camcorder tapes from http://www.pricebusters.org.uk.

letsgodigital is loads more expensive :p
Guest 984

Post by Guest 984 »

what about the NV-DS29 from insight.com/uk ? £281 inc vat

is the DS30 worth the extra £70 ?
DM

Post by DM »

The DS30 has got the digital in. All important if you want to transfer your edited footage back to DVtape. Cheap(ish) storage as well.
Guest 18

Post by Guest 18 »

II also have Adobe Premiere 6.0 . Thats seems way to advanced for me as its semi pro.

I need to sit with it for a couple of days

Anyone know of Adobe Premiere for dummies book ?

Stu

Premiere is very easy to use. I've edited a couple of short ( < 10mins) sequences for video CD, and I've managed to get captioning, transistions, audio fades, etc. all going in only couple of sessions. I've not used it before, either.

I bought a Lucent firewire card from Dabs for approx £13. It even came with the firwire lead. (I think PC world would sell the lead alone for that!). I also registered Scenalyser, as its simply the best DV capture program there is. Takes all the hassle out of editing, as it can split the capture up into individual scenes.