The XBox One Thread Pt3 - discuss!

Discuss the latest PC and Console games here. All discussions not specifically related to gaming should be posted to the Computing Forum. Please note that we do not allow the discussion of console related products which promote software piracy.
vaderag

Re: The XBox One Thread Pt3 - discuss!

Post by vaderag »

T4V wrote:Did you get it? It’s still in my outbox I don’t know how to send it Image
Yep, it's arrived! I'm out and about at the moment so haven't redeemed yet tho!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

Does anyone know if the XBox Gold Brazil to Games Pass Ultimate / Console trick still works ?

Our GPU subscription expired this morning ( after using the original GPU conversion offer a few years ago ) and am looking for the cheapest way of resubscribing. Though have just realised we don't actually need Ultimate ( as we don't do PC gaming ) so just need the Xbox GP.

UPDATE: Answering my own question ... yes it does still work
T4V

Post by T4V »

art of rally, why can’t all racing games look and play as good as this?
vaderag

Post by vaderag »

T4V wrote:art of rally, why can’t all racing games look and play as good as this?
Not heard of it... Gamepass?

Talking of which, just finished Omno... Worth a go for a break

T4V

Post by T4V »

vaderag wrote:
T4V wrote:art of rally, why can’t all racing games look and play as good as this?

Yep go get it
vaderag

Post by vaderag »

T4V wrote:
vaderag wrote:

Yep go get it
Just been giving it a go. Not bad, quite fun
It cuts you off a little too close to the track for my liking tho.

JohnMac

Post by JohnMac »

I wanted to write some impressions of Microsoft Flight Simulator for Xbox, which was the reason I got the Xbox One S. But before that, a few words about the why I chose the Xbox One S itself.

XBOX ONE S

Getting the Xbox One S seemed like the best option for me, even without supply issues. This is for two important reasons: (1) I don’t have a 4K TV and probably wouldn’t benefit from its extra resolution because I’m visually impaired and (2) I only buy games digitally. For a while I did consider the limitations on storage to be an issue but when the One S turned up I was so surprised at how small it was, it suddenly occurred to me that for Xbox 360/Xbox One games I could simply keep using my Xbox One X - my One X was my external hard drive and it is quick to plug in when needed.

MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR

How do I even begin to explain what this game means to me. I’ve always been a fan of flight sims even going back to the old flight sims on the PC. Sure there are some ‘flying’ games on the Xbox (not nearly enough though) but I was so happy to be able to play a proper flight sim on a big screen TV. I was beginning to think something like this was never going to happen but here it is.

Not only do I like flight sims I’m also a bit of a weather nut, so being able to fly in ‘Live Weather’ is so much fun. The way weather is simulated is really good and the graphics are just so realistic you’ll feel like you are flying into real clouds in very similar conditions to what is happening at the time in the real world.

This is not a dumbed down version just because it is on Xbox, but don’t be put off by how complex YOU CAN make this ‘game’. There are plenty of ‘assists’ which make the simulation more accessible to those new to flight simulators. You can gradually turn the assists off as your confidence and knowledge improves.

Which brings up another issue, this isn’t so much a game as a simulated hobby; approach it like that and you’ll get a lot out of the game. This literally simulates the entire world. That’s right, you can take off from any airport from around the globe in a variety of aircraft.

You could obviously try to fly over your house to see how well your local area has been recreated; you could fly from your local airport; visit places you’ve been on holiday to and can no longer visit; or go to places you’ve always wanted to go. You could set yourself a challenge of flying from airport to airport all around the world using different aircraft if you really wanted. The reward isn’t just in exploration but the understanding you’ll gain about flying, different aircraft, airports, locations etc.

For those looking for a more directed experience there are a variety of activities you can take part in. There are obviously a Flight Training section where you can learn the essentials of basic handling, Take Offs and Landings etc, I highly recommend you start your journey with Microsoft Flight Simulator here.

Landing Challenges are great activities that start you already in the air and you have to land as smoothly and precisely as possible - of course, it isn’t always that easy. You are graded for your efforts and there are even world leaderboards to show how well you did. I often start one of these and just keep trying it again and again to get a better grade/score.

Discovery Flights let you visit some iconic locations like Mount Everest or the Pyramids of Egypt and start you already int he air. Bush Trips are more lengthy navigational journeys you can embark on using VFR (Visual Flight Rules (as opposed to IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) both are very well simulated.

There are regular World Updates which add plenty of landmarks/points of interest to specific regions, extra detail airports in that region and upgraded city details using photogrammetry. These free updates also add extra landing challenges, Discovery Flights and Bush Trips.

World Update I: Japan
World Update II: USA
World Update III: United Kingdom
World Update IV: France, Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg.
World Update V: Nordics including Northern European countries like Denmark, Norway, Finland, Sweden and Iceland.

I believe the 6th World Update covers Germany, Switzerland area which will be available next month. You need to find the free update in the in game Marketplace to get these extra details/activities added however.

This game has not only rekindled my interest in flight sims but also my desire to learn about aircraft instruments and systems to gain more confidence and understanding. As somebody who is Severely Sight Impaired, I’m never going to fly a plane in real life. I’m actually approaching Microsoft Flight Simulator maybe more than just a hobby - a way I can take part in something I wouldn’t be able to experience any other way.

I think the game could have done a better job of introducing you to IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) as it tends to steer you more in the direction of VFR most of the time. There are many systems both in your aircraft and at airfields to help navigation and landing that are difficult to get your head around if you are trying to do IFR. The controller makes fiddling with the Garmin 530/430 in the Cessna 172 for example a bit of a pain because you have to keep selecting and deselecting just to switch between the inner and outer wheel of a control dial and that’s before you start trying to enter other details like four letter airport codes or selecting waypoint names or ILS runways. So try to do as much route planning on the World Map screen (change to IFR if needed on the drop-down list as the default is always VFR)

There are plenty of YouTube videos that will help you with aspects of the Microsoft Flight Simulator the game doesn’t cover well or aspects of flying/systems from real pilots as well. These can be invaluable. There are also lots of free resources including entire PDF books that can be found and downloaded from he FAA website that will teach you about a lot of this stuff in the real world.

Settings

There are a few settings I would highly recommend you check/change in the Assistance Options if you are just starting.

Aircraft Systems - Turn Automixture On so you don’t have to keep changing this at different altitudes; Also turn Gyro Drift Off because that isn’t something you need to be messing with either.

Failure and a Damage - I would leave all this disabled but turn the Icing Effect to Visual Only. You may want to come back to this later.

Navigation Aids - I would turn Taxi Ribbon On as it shows you on the taxi way the direction you need to go to either get to or from the Runway/parking. Trust me airport taxiways can get confusing. If these blue arrows don’t show up, just select it from the Assistance when in-game.
Piloting - Turn Take-Off Auto-Rudder to On. Propeller based planes, particularly light single propeller planes have a tendency to pull to the left when moving on the ground and it gets a tad annoying. This is one aspect of a flight sim you could well do without.

Assisted Checklist, Assisted Landing, Assisted Takeoff, AI Anti-Stall Protection, AI Auto-Trim - you want all of this turned off. This is the stuff you want to be doing yourself - this is what its all about.

AI Radio Communications (ATC). If you are just starting I would turn this On. If you’ve set a Departure Airport/parking spot and an Arrival Airport/Parking spot on the World Map then the AI Copilot will handle the radio communications with Ground Services and the Tower for you automatically, but you still need to listen to instructions. After a while I would turn it Off as your knowledge of how it all works starts to sink in. Letting the AI do it for you is itself a good learning tool though as long as you leave ATC voices turned On.

City Markers - At first I left all these On. This was because I was flying around my local area and it doesn’t just list cities and towns but particular parts of towns and even villages. It is fun to navigate a particular area just by the local names sometimes. After a while though, especially if you are travelling greater distances, you’ll want to turn these off.

Landmark and Airport Markers you’ll want to leave these On obviously. Fauna Markers can be left On. If you go on Bush Trips and want to see Elephants or whatever, these will help you locate them.

User Experience - as noted earlier, leave ATC voices On.
JohnMac

Post by JohnMac »

QUAKE

Wow, not played the original Quake for so long. I think Quake has aged

surprisingly well. Admittedly it is from a time before recovering health and shields; as health, armour and ammo pickups were very much part of gaming convention/the norm at the time. Quake’s darker atmosphere graphically has helped it age gracefully I think.

During the days of Doom, Quake, even the Unreal Tournament series they really made the most of the tech they had back then. Level design was almost an art form with everyone able to make their own levels and share them. I remember in Doom for example, you couldn’t place rooms above other rooms and you had to make levels with the illusion of real time lighting - you needed to be creative when it came to making levels.

Many levels in Doom and Quake are just so iconic. Look what they managed to achieve with the tools they had at the time. Are level designers these days as creative? I would love to see Quake II get a console release.

GTA Trilogy - Remaster?

I would love the rumours about the GTA trilogy being remastered in Unreal Engine 4 to be true. It would be a good homage to get the trilogy rereleased to mark the 20th anniversary of the release of GTA III later this year.

I hope they don’t make changes to the content for reasons of political correctness though.
cjanderson

Post by cjanderson »

I got game pass for 2 weeks!
Monday I did what remains of Edith finch
Last 2 nights I have done and finished “twelve minutes”
A weird time loop game with good voice overs!
I had to cheat to work out what on earth to do though. But now have all endings so onto the next game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vaderag

Post by vaderag »

cjanderson wrote:I got game pass for 2 weeks!
Monday I did what remains of Edith finch
Last 2 nights I have done and finished “twelve minutes”
A weird time loop game with good voice overs!
I had to cheat to work out what on earth to do though. But now have all endings so onto the next game!

Recommend Tell Me Why if you liked those two

cjanderson

Post by cjanderson »

Sadly I already bought and not played that one lol

Man of Medan is next and last stop

cjanderson

Post by cjanderson »

Enjoying plagues tale (though shame it doesn’t have difficulty levels as I am finding the first boss fight hard)

Games pass keeps warning me that I only have 8 days left to really rub it in!!

AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

Games Pass is definitely worth the money - well it is if you use the '£90 of Brazilian Gold to GPU conversion' which gives you 3 years of GPU for £90
vaderag

Post by vaderag »

AdamBrunt wrote:Games Pass is definitely worth the money - well it is if you use the '£90 of Brazilian Gold to GPU conversion' which gives you 3 years of GPU for £90
Tell me more...
I still have a year or so on mine but would like to top up

AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

vaderag wrote:
AdamBrunt wrote:Games Pass is definitely worth the money - well it is if you use the '£90 of Brazilian Gold to GPU conversion' which gives you 3 years of GPU for £90
Tell me more...

So, in your case it won't work in the same way ... yet.

You need a VPN and to get the full amount an expired GPU subscription. You get 3 lots of 12 months Brazilian Gold subs ( from somewhere like CDKeys ). Using a VPN, pointed to Brazil, you then use the Windows XBox app to redeem the 3 codes against your usual XBox account. You then ( and in my case I also did this bit through the VPN and XBox app ) get 1 month's GPU and it will recognise that you've got 3 years Gold subscription which it will say will be converted to a 3 years GPU subscription.

If you have an existing GPU subscription then you will only get 1 year ( or maybe less ) of GPU for your 3 years of Gold
vaderag

Post by vaderag »

AdamBrunt wrote:
vaderag wrote:
Tell me more...

So, in your case it won't work in the same way ... yet.

You need a VPN and to get the full amount an expired GPU subscription. You get 3 lots of 12 months Brazilian Gold subs ( from somewhere like CDKeys ). Using a VPN, pointed to Brazil, you then use the Windows XBox app to redeem the 3 codes against your usual XBox account. You then ( and in my case I also did this bit through the VPN and XBox app ) get 1 month's GPU and it will recognise that you've got 3 years Gold subscription which it will say will be converted to a 3 years GPU subscription.

If you have an existing GPU subscription then you will only get 1 year ( or maybe less ) of GPU for your 3 years of Gold
Ah okay, so I need to wait for expiry and then try this really. I wonder how long this will remail open tho

vaderag

Post by vaderag »

Just checked and actually somehow I expire next month!
Have cancelled recurring billing, so I guess

So to confirm,
- I need 3 lots on 12month Gold from Brazil (or anywhere? Does it need to be brazil?)
- On windows, i go to the XBox app and redeem the codes using VPN. Presumably this gives me 3 years of gold
- I then buy 1 month of Game Pass Ultimate - does this need to be same region or home region? Will a deal like ths work?? https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xbox-g ... le-3787307?
AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

vaderag wrote:Just checked and actually somehow I expire next month!

So to confirm,
- I need 3 lots on 12month Gold from Brazil (or anywhere? Does it need to be brazil?)
- On windows, i go to the XBox app and redeem the codes using VPN. Presumably this gives me 3 years of gold
- I then buy 1 month of Game Pass Ultimate - does this need to be same region or home region? Will a deal like ths work?? https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xbox-g ... le-3787307?
Brazil is picked as it is, currently, the cheapest price for 12 months of Gold.

I did everything in the Windows XBox app with a VPN pointing at a Brazilian server.

After redeeming the 3 codes in the app, I turned off the VPN and checked my subscriptions on the Microsoft/Xbox web site to check they had gone in properly.

I then turned the VPN back on and went back into app and bought 1 month's GPU @ £10.95. Before confirming it should recognise your Gold subscription and say your GPU sub will end in three years' time.

You should then be all set Image

The £1 deal IIRC only works for people who have never had GPU before. However I believe, in theory, there is nothing to stop you creating a new gamer tag ( using a new - to Microsoft - email address ) and doing everything under that account. You then just make sure the new gamertag is added to the console and set to always be signed in. As long as there is a gamertag/account, with a GPU subscription, signed into an Xbox console then all accounts on that console will get the access to the games library. The one minus point with this method, from what we have found, is that any GPU offers like cheap/free DLC can only be used by the gamertag that has the subscription.

FYI a GPU subscription can NOT be shared across multiple consoles.
vaderag

Post by vaderag »

AdamBrunt wrote:
vaderag wrote:Just checked and actually somehow I expire next month!

So to confirm,
Brazil is picked as it is, currently, the cheapest price for 12 months of Gold.

I did everything in the Windows XBox app with a VPN pointing at a Brazilian server.

After redeeming the 3 codes in the app, I turned off the VPN and checked my subscriptions on the Microsoft/Xbox web site to check they had gone in properly.

I then turned the VPN back on and went back into app and bought 1 month's GPU @ £10.95. Before confirming it should recognise your Gold subscription and say your GPU sub will end in three years' time.

You should then be all set Image

The £1 deal IIRC only works for people who have never had GPU before. However I believe, in theory, there is nothing to stop you creating a new gamer tag ( using a new - to Microsoft - email address ) and doing everything under that account. You then just make sure the new gamertag is added to the console and set to always be signed in. As long as there is a gamertag/account, with a GPU subscription, signed into an Xbox console then all accounts on that console will get the access to the games library. The one minus point with this method, from what we have found, is that any GPU offers like cheap/free DLC can only be used by the gamertag that has the subscription.

FYI a GPU subscription can NOT be shared across multiple consoles.
Thanks for that. I'll stick with the same gamertag so will just buy a full month. Assuming all this still works in a month or so!!

cjanderson

Post by cjanderson »

well my 2 weeks of Ulitimate end today

I got 3 games 100% complete

What remains of Edith Finch, 12 minutes and Plagues tale. Enjoyed them all, nothing else i am interested in so will cancel today to avoid the £10.99 charge.

(and can go back to Witcher 3 next week to get that story DONE before University re-starts!)