THE BARGAIN FORUM RULES

Post any bargains you find on your internet travels here. Make sure you read the additional <a href="http://thedvdforums.com/forums/showthre ... 686">Terms and Conditions</a> before posting and don't break the law.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b, Bish

NicolaUK

Post by NicolaUK »

pmdf wrote:I really like it - I'll always make it my first port of call before buying anywhere now.

I agree, think it's a great idea - I rarely look for codes TBH but this will prompt me to now - I don't think you should give an option to hide it, it'll end up forgotten :)
Guest 9331

Post by Guest 9331 »

Harsin wrote:I don't see that it's a particularly big deal myself.

Well in that case it is surely in contravention of forum rules. :lol:
Micka

Post by Micka »

I've read through the first page of this thread and got tired. Don't know what the rest have said.

I've been a quiet member for a couple of years, first attracted by the knowledge available on DVD releases, then kept interested by the bargain forums and now check in throughout the day for advice, current affairs or just a laugh on all topics

I would happily pay to use the forums on a yearly sub basis, as I'm sure most loyalists would. I do believe that a paid sub would kill the site though as it would stop new members joining. Maybe suck em in with bargain forums and a few others then charge for membership to the whole site?

My clickthroughs have become almost worthless now as I've purchased a lot over the last 3 years and now only buy a couple of DVDS a month, aren't looking to purchase anything major anytime soon. Maybe look at a lot of your strong base crowd, see that they've all got the latest tech,gadgets and the bulk of their dvd collections sorted etc and figure what they need next whether it be better cables, insurance, companionship, jobs, flights, doritos, psych help etc and try pushing the focus onto these with some fresh affiliates rather than selling bags of crap - god bless em.

End of the day this is a great place which most of us love and the rest can go make Martin Lewis a little more wealthy with his "consumer helpline"
Ragnarak

Post by Ragnarak »

daz_75 wrote:Also, what servers are you using £116 ones from Dell im amazed that servers are a big part of your budget

Hint: I pay £200 a month for a server to run a forum a lot smaller than this and that still falls over with 500+ people online. I wouldn't be surprised if they're paying £1000s a month to run these forums.
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

Well over the last few days i've really liked looking at the bargin forum again. It's much more like how i used to remember. much much better.
Saddam✓Osama✓Gaddafi✓Kim Jong-un☐Justin Bieber☐
driver8

Post by driver8 »

Hi mods, am I missing something here ? Is there a way to discuss a particular voucher ? Do I need to start a new thread ?

When I click on a voucher (at rhs of screen) it takes me to a page of details, but there does not appear to be anywhere for adding any comments or discussion, for example if there are problems with the voucher, or any good deals to be had by using it.

Pls advise. Tks.
| initiative-Q = free cash! | flickr | FB | eos6d | erazer x6807 | marantz+canton 5.1 | benq w1090 | dt990 | paperwhite | lenovo a10 | redmi note 9s |
Alan b

Post by Alan b »

driver8 wrote:Hi mods, am I missing something here ? Is there a way to discuss a particular voucher ? Do I need to start a new thread ?

No you are not missing anything, if you want to discuss a certain voucher then you can either start a thread in the Supplier Forum or in this forum if it is related to an offer.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

I can add the ability to comment on vouchers pretty easily if we want it?
ColinP, Administrator
The Digital Fix
driver8

Post by driver8 »

well, it would make sense to me, but maybe that's just me ! :dork:

I went to investigate the Truprint Fathers' Day card voucher, but could not find any actual Fathers' Day cards on the site (!)

I went back to the DVDF voucher page (the obvious place to me to look for help) but there was no further help or discussion.

I searched the forums for Truprint in subject, but did not come up with any relevant threads.

So now I'm unsure what to do ?!
Alan b

Post by Alan b »

I posted that offer as it was posted on an affiliate forum that we use. You are right though in that there don't appear to be any Fathers Day cards on there so I have removed this voucher for now until we find out what is going on.
Guest 33467

Post by Guest 33467 »

cedge wrote:My comments:

I've always been surprised at the DVD Forums stance on posting bargains. I know they got in a spot of bother with some companies in the past i.e. littlewoods but, every other site/forum i've been to rarely has any rules on posting bargains, hence why i believe most people tend to visit other forums now for their bargain hunting fixes :D.

DVD Forums is always my first point of call but activity on the Bargain Forum is not what it once was :(, probably due to the popularity of these other sites.

Whilst the new T&C's are a step in the right direction but I'm afraid it may be too little too late. The DVDF is no longer my first port of call for Bargains quite simply because of the restrictions. I'm always happy to do my bit to help the forums but when you place too many restrictions on the users they will simply go elsewhere where quite often , 'better' bargains are to be found.

I'm sure the faithful will tell me to stick it, and if I dont like it I can simply go elsewhere for my daily internet fix, - thats exactly what I've done with the Bargain Forums on here.
Guest 67552

The real evils, indeed

Post by Guest 67552 »

The real evils, indeed, of wow gold Emma's situation were the power of having rather too much her own way, and a disposition to think a little wow gold too well of herself; these were the disadvantages which threatened alloy to her many enjoyments. The danger, however, was at wow power leveling present so unperceived, that they did not by any means rank as misfortunes with her. Sorrow came--a gentle sorrow--but not at all in the shape of any disagreeable consciousness.--Miss Taylor married. It was Miss Taylor's loss which first brought grief. It was on the wow powerleveling wedding-day of this beloved friend that Emma first sat in mournful thought of any continuance. The wedding over, and the bride-people gone, her father and herself were left to dine together, with no prospect of a third to cheer a long evening. Her father composed himself to sleep after dinner, as usual, and she had then only to sit and think of what she had lost.weiwei1978123
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

ColinP wrote:Visitor numbers are stable - the costs for running the Forums alone are over half of the total outgoings for all of the sites. Each content-driven site we own MUST pay its own way otherwise it would be closed.

Over the past few years we had built up a financial buffer with the profit the site made - to ensure that if the worst happens we could keep running for a decent amount of time. That buffer stopped growing at the end of 2006, and the rate of affiliate conversions since then has decreased by 33% (66% since the start of 2006). We have cut costs where possible (retired one server) and therefore we haven't hit that buffer yet, but this is the crunch year for us and we'll be eating into our reserves if things don't pick up. Once that happens The DVD Forums is on borrowed time.

There are three causes for this:

1. Affiliate conversions are down - clickthroughs are reasonably steady so we're getting the clicks, but people aren't buying.
2. There aren't as many huge bargains as there were
3. Ad blocking preventing things tracking properly and therefore the loss in sale attributed to us

Point 1 is the main concern for us - we're losing out affiliate sales due to people finding bargains and clicking on them on our site and then trying to reduce the overall price even further by going through cashback sites and the like. We want to maximise our potential income before we start looking at things such as charging for access - doing this would be totally against what we have tried to do with all of our sites.

We've relaxed the rules here as much as we legally can now and all we are asking is for people who use the forums to have a little respect and to try and give something back - we're not asking for money, we're not asking for you to use our affiliate links every time, but we would appreciate that where you can you support the service we provide to you.

The only reason we try to bring in as much cash as possible is to fund the Forums - it's really that simple. This isn't some huge money-making scam and it isn't something that would ever let any of us live in luxury.

I thought it'd be worth returning to this thread for a financial update.

Up until December we made a consistent monthly loss - our outgoings have been more than our income. This obviously isn't good news and is of great concern if this trend continues.

There is <i>some</i> good news in that October-December saw affiliate income increase to more reasonable levels and when this income is paid to us (as long as the companies that owe it don't go belly up in the mean time), it will off set around all of the losses we've made this year so far bringing the site back to a roughly even keel. We're hoping this all gets paid up before the end of the financial year (March) in order to keep our yearly loss to an absolute minimum.

Unfortunately, since Christmas, our affiliate earnings have plummeted to around 25% of the average during December and at that level we won't be able to sustain the sites for more than a few months. If there aren't improvements, June 2009 is likely to be the point where we'll be forced to make a decision regarding the future of our major sites. My worry is that we're going to see even greater drops in affiliate income from February onwards as the economy tightens even more and that will be devastating for the site(s).

In terms of the wider affiliate market, the playing field IS becoming more level. Voucher sites now have a strict set of rules to stick to (which we've actually adhered to for years - hence the apparent stricter stance of DVDF regarding bargains) - sites that don't stick to these rules will eventually be removed from affiliate programmes. Likewise, cashback sites are also being hit with new specific commision rates which will reduce the amount of cashback to end users - and <i>some</i> merchants and networks are looking at these cashback sites closely as they're actually costing companies more money than the value they bring. These rules have been a long time coming and will hopefully make the whole affiliate marketting world more fair.

There are a few cowboys still and they're the sites that make the biggest money unfortunately - they don't stick to the rules that the rest of us do stick to, and they're so big now they can dictate terms in some instances. Some of these sites have or are being sold for millions and those figures alone should indicate the huge effect their existence has had on smaller content-driven sites like this.

We can't stop users looking for savings elsewhere, but all I can do is reiterate the importance (to us) of you using our links wherever possible when making purchases. The future of this site and a few others is entirely in your hands now so if you want DVDF to be here this time next year, please consider the above information before making your buying decisions :)
ColinP, Administrator
The Digital Fix
Guest 4466

Post by Guest 4466 »

ColinP wrote:We can't stop users looking for savings elsewhere, but all I can do is reiterate the importance (to us) of you using our links wherever possible when making purchases. The future of this site and a few others is entirely in your hands now so if you want DVDF to be here this time next year, please consider the above information before making your buying decisions :)

I've been using your superb Price Searching site whenever seeking out prices. Are clicks from there just as good as affiliate clicks from the forums?
douglasb

Post by douglasb »

You're too cautious - and nice! If Wikipedia can have a box at the top of the screen showing how much money they need to continue, the DVDF could do something similar. What about some kind of countdown clock - "13 days until the DVDF disappears!" and if cash comes in, it could bump up to a less panic-provoking figure.

Or a basic donation drive - say for a whole month? "February is DVDF month!" With avatars for donors as a reward?

Post by Guest »

I always forget to check the affiliate links. I got my car insurance with More Th>N Motor & Pet the other day. It didn't even occur to me that there might be an affiliate. That probably would have made a couple of quid commission.
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

smst wrote:I've been using your superb Price Searching site whenever seeking out prices. Are clicks from there just as good as affiliate clicks from the forums?

Yes almost. We get more from DVD Forums links, but PD links still earn us some money so would be more than happy if you are using those links when buying a product you have found via the site! We are also always looking for ways to improve all the sites, eespecially Price Searching so feel free to let us know about any improvements you think we could make.

ShakeyJake wrote:I always forget to check the affiliate links. I got my car insurance with More Th>N Motor & Pet the other day. It didn't even occur to me that there might be an affiliate. That probably would have made a couple of quid commission.

Definately, quite a few quid for us actualyl as they are one of the better paying schemes.
Forum Administrator
The Digital Fix

Post by Guest »

Kryten wrote:
Definately, quite a few quid for us actualyl as they are one of the better paying schemes.

Sorry :(
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

No probs, just a few of those kind of links being used a day would probably pay for the forums, it is the ones that are contract based of financial that pay the most (e.g. Insurance, Sky TV, Credit Cards, Broadband and Mobile Phones).
Forum Administrator
The Digital Fix
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

ShakeyJake wrote:Sorry :(

Don't worry about it - we don't expect everyone to know who we have as affiliates (I forget most of the time too!). Really we need to find a good way of exposing our full affiliate list to make it easier to find when we have a match for the service you're after.
ColinP, Administrator
The Digital Fix