THE BARGAIN FORUM RULES

Post any bargains you find on your internet travels here. Make sure you read the additional <a href="http://thedvdforums.com/forums/showthre ... 686">Terms and Conditions</a> before posting and don't break the law.

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b, Bish

Guest 2754

Post by Guest 2754 »

ColinP wrote:Out of interest, what resolutions are the people who say it takes up half the screen using?!

I'm running 1024x768, wouldn't say it's half the screen, more like a third
Harsin

Post by Harsin »

rugman wrote:I'm running 1024x768, wouldn't say it's half the screen, more like a third

Here's mine running in 1024x768. A third? Methinks you exaggerate somewhat! :nuts:

Guest 2754

Post by Guest 2754 »

Yeah ok, it's perhaps nearer to a quarter, the point I was trying to make is that it's not a half as posted by someone else earlier, and also to tell Colin what the res was.

Harsin, carry on running it for the rest of the night at 1024x768, switch between other forums here and then back to the bargain forum and tell me you still like it !
Dan

Post by Dan »

ColinP wrote:Out of interest, what resolutions are the people who say it takes up half the screen using?!

480 x 320 here.
welshmatt

Post by welshmatt »

Im not a fan either to be honest. Maybe if it only appeared on the main Bargain Forum index page, but having it appear within each individual thread is a bit much imo.
Harsin

Post by Harsin »

rugman wrote:Yeah ok, it's perhaps nearer to a quarter, the point I was trying to make is that it's not a half as posted by someone else earlier, and also to tell Colin what the res was.

Harsin, carry on running it for the rest of the night at 1024x768, switch between other forums here and then back to the bargain forum and tell me you still like it !

I've been running it all day, before it was visible to the public, at 1024x768 (never been fussed on anything higher on my manky old CRT monitor :dork: ), and I don't see that it's a particularly big deal myself. That's not party line by the way just my honest opinion. It would probably get on my nerves in the main discussion forums but in the Bargain Forum, eh, not so much. I can understand why some people don't like it though and looking at the mailing list suggestions are being taken into account.
daz_75

Post by daz_75 »

Alan b wrote:What has that got to do with anything. Lets keep this on topic can we please.

it was brought up by your fellow mod
Kryten wrote:Bandwidth does not cost us anywhere near as much as the several honking great servers required to run the sites (note the plural there, its not just the forums!)

ColinP wrote:OK, you source 4 dual quad-core processor servers each with 8GB RAM and then stick them on gigabit backbone connections with an allowance for a couple of terabytes of data each and then let me know how much you think it might cost per month.

Nah your alright, i'll keep the prices to myself this time as i didn't get any replies last time

http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296911
mklion123

Post by mklion123 »

Is there any chance you can make the box at the side longer, so you don't have to scroll so much?
if you want people to spot bargain vouchers, I dont see the point in hiding them if the space is available?
Gamertag: xXxTOURETTES
basegreen

Post by basegreen »

If it's genuinely pulling revenue in for the forums, then it should stay.
Jim989

Post by Jim989 »

Im ignored most of the time, so I say....

1) Keep it.
2) Extend it vertically, I run 2100x1800 and 2100x1200 (dont ask!)
3) Add [x] to hide it for "registered" users. Perhaps they need to click [x] per visit. Anything is better than nothing!
Guest 4466

Post by Guest 4466 »

About the voucher bar: since there's the option to order by Store, shouldn't there be an "any store" option in the Store list? Then set that as the default choice and order the list so that the most recently-posted vouchers are on top. Currently if one doesn't touch the controls, one sees Currys vouchers permanently; with those changes, the latest vouchers for all stores would be visible and (I suspect) one would be more likely to spot one and use it.

(Personally I don't really care about the use of screen real estate, but there's room to make the bar a bit narrower if some of the visual padding is removed so perhaps that will cheer some people up.)
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

smst wrote:About the voucher bar: since there's the option to order by Store, shouldn't there be an "any store" option in the Store list? Then set that as the default choice and order the list so that the most recently-posted vouchers are on top. Currently if one doesn't touch the controls, one sees Currys vouchers permanently; with those changes, the latest vouchers for all stores would be visible and (I suspect) one would be more likely to spot one and use it.

Actually you see the latest vouchers which just so happen to be Currys ones! I think sorted by popularity may be best as a default? As for the "all stores" I agree that should probably be there and be default?

Hopefully the bar will be extended downwards too, that should make a big difference, and as for hiding it, we are considering that.
Forum Administrator
The Digital Fix
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

As you can probably tell, Colin has stuck this just on the main bargain forum page for now and changed the height :thumbs: Still more tweaks to come but hopefully this will help please some of the moaners in here ;)
Forum Administrator
The Digital Fix
cjanderson

Post by cjanderson »

ah, that looks much better. (it looked weird on my work pc screen but thats probably as in threads you have space taken up both sides with usernames and then the vouchers, both of which you tend to "block out", seeing it on the main page is more helpful :)
Guest 4466

Post by Guest 4466 »

Kryten wrote:Actually you see the latest vouchers which just so happen to be Currys ones! I think sorted by popularity may be best as a default? As for the "all stores" I agree that should probably be there and be default?

Ah, I see -- so it's showing all stores, but there's no option to choose it and the first selectable option is being shown instead. The implication is that the pre-selected item in the drop-down is the one that's currently applied. ... Actually, even after choosing a particular item from a drop-down and submitting the form, Currys and (order by) Store are pre-selected; that's something you might want to look at too (again, because I usually infer that the pre-selected item is the one that's currently applied),
KennyVader

Post by KennyVader »

The new voucher thing should have a way to feed back "this voucher does not work any more" - if say 3 or 5 people click it to say that, it should be removed or demoted to a "this has been reported not to work any more" section - it's kind of self-moderating. On the odd occasion when I have bothered trying voucher sites there is nothing worse than a load of supposedly in-date offers that you try to apply to your order at the checkout and find they don't work because the store has withdrawn them. To reclaim traffic from the other sites that only do vouchers the presentation of them here needs to be just as easy and the voucher validity just as reliable.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

I'll work on some of the more techy stuff next week - I do agree that a self-moderating option would be very useful and I want to work more on the sorting etc.

The current voucher list is a quick addition that will be enhanced :)
ColinP, Administrator
The Digital Fix
pmdf

Post by pmdf »

I really like it - I'll always make it my first port of call before buying anywhere now.

The width doesn't bother me, as the bargain forum is something I scan rather than spend much time reading. It would annoy me if it was in the Computing, Movie or General forum, for example, as then that would have more of an impact on the way I read those forums.
Guest 14043

Post by Guest 14043 »

As much as I loathe their current design, the way ********** does it is much more elegant.
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

I think we can do something like that via the front page site (http://www.thedvdforums.com) once we get everything up an running as we will have the stats and people will hopefully be able to vote for vouchers there and maybe deals too and we obviously can get click stats ok to use for popularity (currently in use for popularity on the voucher list you see).
Forum Administrator
The Digital Fix