Euro 2020

Discuss all forms of sport from abseiling through to erm... zebra riding.

Moderator: Alan b

Rob

Euro 2020

Post by Rob »

With so few posting in here, one thread for the whole tournament should be enough. Remember the days when we had thread per group?

Anyway, enjoyed watching Italy demolish Turkey last night. Proof that Mancini knows how to build a team, set them up and get them playing attractive football. Lots of fast passes around the box and, in the second half, some good finishes.

Now he’s no longer managing City (and there’s no money involved) maybe there will be appreciation of his talent from other quarters. He’ll always be a legend to us and I’d love to see his team triumph at Wembley (as long as it’s not at the expense of England, of course).
shteve_

Re: Euro 2020

Post by shteve_ »

Turkey actually reminded me of watching England. They started out pretty well and actually looked like the better team. Then Italy scored and they seemed to just stop playing.
I've got a signature and an avatar but not access to my old account :|
mjb1975

Post by mjb1975 »

Absolutely horrible scenes with Christian Eriksen earlier. Really, really didn't look good for him at all.

Thankfully, he's conscious and talking in hospital but will presumably have a long recovery ahead.

Amazing response from the medical staff but also Simon Kjaer (Denmark's captain) and Anthony Taylor (the ref).
Raigmore

Post by Raigmore »

Being primarily a 'cricket person', soccer is not really my game although I enjoy watching international games. Therefore please excuse me if this is a stupid question. It concerns the first of Belgium's 3 goals in their game against Russia yesterday.

The image freeze showed that Lukaku was clearly offside when his Belgian colleague prepared to pass the ball to the striker. But the pass did not reach Lukaku directly as it was intercepted by a Russian defender, who presumably did not notice that behind him Lukaku was offside. In the couple of seconds that it took the Russian to mess-up his own interception, Lukaku had moved onside and scored the goal from that position.

So, I assume that since the other Belgian's pass first touched a Russian foot, Luaku's offside position at that moment does not count as such as he was onside when he kicked the ball into the net?
Lee Brown

Post by Lee Brown »

Raigmore wrote:The image freeze showed that Lukaku was clearly offside when his Belgian colleague prepared to pass the ball to the striker. But the pass did not reach Lukaku directly as it was intercepted by a Russian defender, who presumably did not notice that behind him Lukaku was offside. In the couple of seconds that it took the Russian to mess-up his own interception, Lukaku had moved onside and scored the goal from that position.?
I think the offside rule states you can't be offside at all if the final 'pass' comes from an opponent. There was a classic balls up from Steven Gerrard where he passed directly to Thierry Henry who was hidden from his view, who calmly collected the ball and scored.

https://twitter.com/ChelseaJF5/status/1 ... 2036285440

That same rule has been bastardised completely recently, so that any deliberate attempt to play the ball counts as a 'pass'. If the Russian had left the ball alone and it reached Lukaku, he's offside. As he played for it, and messed it up, he's onside. It's not about Lukaku's position when he finally strikes the ball.

It's nonsense of course, as the defender would not be playing the ball if Lukaku wasn't there, he'd let it run through to the keeper. In these circumstances it should be offside.
Jez

Post by Jez »

Can someone explain how this was originally meant to be hosted?

Was it always all these different countries hosting the games, or is that a pandemic thing?
loftus

Post by loftus »

Jez wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:30 am Can someone explain how this was originally meant to be hosted?

Was it always all these different countries hosting the games, or is that a pandemic thing?
This was always the plan. It was planned to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the competition.

In fact it was supposed to be more countries, but Dublin lost its games because they couldn't guarantee they'd admit supporters.
AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

Jez wrote:Can someone explain how this was originally meant to be hosted?

Yes.

What I haven't figured out yet and - this was also always part of the plan - is why certain teams are playing all their group games at home whilst others don't have any any home games at all ?? It's hardly a fair competition.
Raigmore

Post by Raigmore »

What I haven't figured out yet and - this was also always part of the plan - is why certain teams are playing all their group games at home whilst others don't have any any home games at all ?? It's hardly a fair competition
I might be wrong but it looks like with each encounter the higher ranked team gets to play at home. At least at this stage.
loftus

Post by loftus »

It happens that way because of the cities selected and the qualification procedure.

The cities to host games were picked before countries qualified for the tournament. If a country which was hosting games qualified automatically they were put in the group which would be hosted in their country and would play all three games at home. Scotland qualified through the play-offs so were put in the group that would play at Hampden but would have to travel to Wembley for the England game. The same with Hungary, who have to travel to Munich to play Germany despite Budapest hosting games.

The better teams tend to qualify automatically so it becomes self-selecting. England get to play their three group games at Wembley, Holland play theirs in Amsterdam, Italy in Rome etc.
nutter45

Post by nutter45 »

nutter45

Post by nutter45 »

Amazing couple of games yesterday, and a phenomenal result for Switzerland :clap:

Main takeaway from the tournament so far is can we import some referees and VAR handlers please. Hopefully the PL recognises how good it’s been so far and adopts similar practices.
AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

Interestingly, it's no surprise that the one dodgy VAR call so far came when Stuart Atwell was on VAR duty.

The way the tournament has been arranged is a bit of a joke ( with certain teams travelling 1000s of miles whilst others don't travel at all ) but at first glance the Swiss seem to suggest that isn't a problem. Mind you, the French in the 1st half were awful.
Arthur Fowler

Post by Arthur Fowler »

Great win! So happy about it.
nutter45

Post by nutter45 »

Arthur Fowler wrote:Great win! So happy about it.
:clap:
bumfrog

Post by bumfrog »

:eek: :nuts: :clap:
Raigmore

Post by Raigmore »

Considering the 'upset' results so far, England cannot afford to be complacent against Ukraine. Always remember Iceland.

Does Tippier have any fitness issue? I seem to recall something but here in India we don't get all the details.
mjb1975

Post by mjb1975 »

Think Trippier is fine (and he's on the bench tonight).

Sir Harold....
Arthur Fowler

Post by Arthur Fowler »

Another great team performance!
nutter45

Post by nutter45 »

It’s not normally talked about but the refereeing has been almost faultless (relative to normal) this tournament.

Now we just need to retire Danny Murphy as his commentary really does spoil things