Welcome to The New Digital Fix

Bravoman

Re: Welcome to The New Digital Fix

Post by Bravoman »

Yeah it’s a massive step back in usability, definitely not good on iPad.

I kept getting logged out too but the keep me logged on box on the log in screen seemed to sort that :thumbs:
The Bear

Post by The Bear »

It's fine in Tapatalk now that's working.
driver8

Post by driver8 »

I suppose it's like when your fave pub has a redesign after 10 years - feels like you don't belong after that.

I'm not sure what it is exactly ... most of the functionality seems the same, but lots of small changes gives the feeling of unfamiliarity.
dvds2000

Post by dvds2000 »

I hate this style, don't know who's idea it was to move to phpbb but it was a mega bad move in my opinion. The Vbulletin version was old, but was streets ahead of this rubbish. If it had to be changed to a free forum then MyBB is 100 times better than this, as are many other free ones, like SMF.

External links don't open in a new window, thats suicidal for any site.

Most the popular threads have turned to poop, as all the embedded media like twitter and youtube posts are now just blocks of code.

The site was down for ages, considering recent happenings, I imagine a lot of people think it just closed.

The new owners haven't gave any input at all (or at least not that I've seen). A simple 'hello' would have been nice.

If a site is offline for an extended period of time then is back up and running, or there are big changes, then surely sending an email out to the database informing them of this would be the sensible thing to do.

I seem to think the new owners don't give a poop about the forums and would be more than happy for them not to be here, which would be a shame in my view considering how long they have been running.
Stevie G

Post by Stevie G »

I really dislike the 'new' format too, feels very 2000. At least Tapatalk is working again as that houses all that.

Who are the new owners? The bargains forum has been dead for quite some time, wouldn't they make money from that if it was better used like in the past?
PSN Gamertag: NoMrMoreNiceGuy
It's all about the scrobbling...
Wowbagger

Post by Wowbagger »

dvds2000 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:35 pm The new owners haven't gave any input at all (or at least not that I've seen). A simple 'hello' would have been nice.
There was a short article with the new boss introducing the new look, in amongst the jumble of news items and pointless 'best of all time' lists; in fact it might still be there, somewhere, if you can find it. And as far as I can see the new reviews are by new staff. That leads on to me wonder if any of the old staff will still be contributing; there were some good writers contributing to the film section, but as far as I can see all the former content is now lumped into the 'archive' section, which at the time I write this is just a chronological list in reverse order of the old stuff, with a non-functioning search facility, so in other words a useless mess.

I realise it's probably still a work in progress. I hope it is, because if this is the finished result...
dvds2000

Post by dvds2000 »

I was meaning something on the forum rather than the main site, I think I read the bit on the main site, but a hello on the forum would have been nice. Maybe even a Q&A with them as to what they were thinking of doing in the future.
Boink!

Post by Boink! »

^^ That would be nice ^^
Arthur Fowler

Post by Arthur Fowler »

Yes it would
Wowbagger

Post by Wowbagger »

Any such announcement is more likely to appear on social media, because a standard note at the end of new articles seems to be, "Be part of the conversation by heading over to our Facebook page". The new editor writes that comments he made about Superman caused a minor fuss among his readers, but I can't see any fuss, so I assume he means he caused a Twitter meltdown or something.

As a holder of no social media accounts, I'll not be part of any of these conversations unless they appear on the forums - which, I suspect, will be totally ignored from now on.
cedge

Post by cedge »

Arthur Fowler wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:30 pm Yes it would
Agree.
Shingster

Post by Shingster »

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the new owners to pop in and introduce themselves and provide a manifesto for things going forward, they never once did any of these things for the writing staff of the main site whose vast database of content they took ownership of. I thought that was a bit of a shame (they basically communicated to us very sparingly through Colin), but other than that the changeover hasn't really bothered me much, it was time for Colin to move on from things.

AFAIAA none of the old staff are now writing for the site, they did invite the old staff to apply for writing positions, but IIRC there were no free passes where they promised they would hire any old staffers that wanted to stay on, and I'm not sure anyone applied for a writing gig in the end, but maybe they did and they were considered wrong for the new site by the new owners. I'm not sure!
Bravoman

Post by Bravoman »

Wowbagger wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:17 pmI'll not be part of any of these conversations unless they appear on the forums - which, I suspect, will be totally ignored from now on.
It’s such a pity, the forums are basically dead now. :cry: I know traffic was slowing right down before the take over but some of the general discussion topics were fairly active.
I’m assuming the bed layout is the main cause.
Wooglie

Post by Wooglie »

The lack of email notifications might also be a problem.
farmroad38

Post by farmroad38 »

Bravoman wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:31 pm It’s such a pity, the forums are basically dead now. :cry: I know traffic was slowing right down before the take over but some of the general discussion topics were fairly active.
I’m assuming the bed layout is the main cause.
This. I keep coming back in to see what's happening, and the answer is generally: nothing. The layout is awful - difficult to read and dull. I can't see anything happening other than it just withering on the (ugly) vine.
scoobyood

Post by scoobyood »

Tis a shame... maybe we could move to reddit, create a DVDForums subreddit :shrug:
aprout
Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs

Post by aprout »

So is this it? Final version? Or are we still waiting for more 'upgrades' & polish?
cliff homewood

Post by cliff homewood »

As someone who suffers from RSI sometimes would like to see the new posts and unread posts links to be back at the top of the front page and not have to click into the ironically titles quicklinks (as its now a slower access point).
farmroad38

Post by farmroad38 »

It's a damning comment on the new ownership that a spam post in the announcements forum is still there after a couple of days. Would never happened when Colin was in charge.
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

farmroad38 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:52 am It's a damning comment on the new ownership that a spam post in the announcements forum is still there after a couple of days. Would never happened when Colin was in charge.
I did not see any report and had been offline with a sick kid at home. I just took care of it. :thumbs: