Welcome to The New Digital Fix

ColinP

Welcome to The New Digital Fix

Post by ColinP »

This is my final post as an actual contributor to the site. From now on I'll be a normal member like the rest of you :)

The NEW TDF soft launches today. You can see the forums already have a new skin, the site has a new look and there's a while new editorial team at the helm headed up by Tom Percival.

We appreciate that not everyone likes change, but there are exciting plans for the site. There may be teething bugs with the new platform so please bear with us as we bed things in.

So long....

Colin
cliff homewood

Re: Welcome to The New Digital Fix

Post by cliff homewood »

Hi Colin,

Welcome fellow member! Jut asking for a reminder, or if its changed, the two very similar options, 'view unread posts' or 'view new posts', I remember a while back some members wanting two separate but similar delineation, on the old site it was view all new posts I think I had to click. I come on here once a day generally and just want to press one button to see everything that has happened since I have left, new discussions and new posts.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Unread are posts that might have been there on your last visit but haven't been read.

Ono

Post by Ono »

Going to take a while to get used to this but glad to be back!
cedge

Post by cedge »

I'm not a fan of the new design. Also, I'm losing a lot of the width by the time you factor in ads around the page and those embedded in the page.
Shingster

Post by Shingster »

Yeah the adverts are beyond excessive and aggressive now, but outside of that it looks alright. I think the biggest issue for me is that mahoosive, mostly empty column to the right of our posts negatively impacting the layout of threads just for a single advert that isn't even loading half of the time. :suspect:
sharp_circle

Post by sharp_circle »

Hey Colin, any idea why the forums are now tiny ? I have like a really small bit of forums surrounded by huge margins.
Boink!

Post by Boink! »

Hey Colin and everyone. Glad the TDF is back.

One thing, just looking at the latest page of the Let's Have a Laugh - part 7 and the formatting for the Twitter pages seems to be broken (for me anyway).

I'm seeing:

Am on Windows 10 and using Firefox 89.0 (64bit) and also Chrome Version 91.0.4472.77 (Official Build) (64-bit) and both are showing the same.
Xeon007

Post by Xeon007 »

If we're talking about broken things, spoilers appear to be broken which is unfortunate...
scoobyood

Post by scoobyood »

ColinP wrote:Unread are posts that might have been there on your last visit but haven't been read.

My shortcut was ‘ search.php?do=getdaily’ …. Now my link she is no more.

No idea what the difference is.. but it was better than ‘unread’ and ‘new’ option.

Another thing that I guess is now someone else’s problem is the links to the thread all open to page 1/post 1…. Which is not right for 88 page threads etc.

Also the ‘The Team’ link at the bottom of the page will likely cause server flames if too many people click on it.
farmroad38

Post by farmroad38 »

Boink! wrote:Hey Colin and everyone. Glad the TDF is back.

One thing, just looking at the latest page of the Let's Have a Laugh - part 7 and the formatting for the Twitter pages seems to be broken (for me anyway).

I'm seeing:

Am on Windows 10 and using Firefox 89.0 (64bit) and also Chrome Version 91.0.4472.77 (Official Build) (64-bit) and both are showing the same.
I'm seeing the same. Every post in that thread with embedded links is broken - looks like BBCode is disabled?
Jez

Post by Jez »

Is this an old version of phpBB? It seems to be more out of date than the previous version?

No quick replies, no embeds, links not opening in new windows etc.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

There will be an upgrade to the latest version soon. There was no migration path from our version of vBulletin to the latest version and given it took me about three weeks to get this far with the forums that's now a 'phase two' thing.

We also have to do a further server move soon as the migration couldn't happen on our new server space due to compatibility issues.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

farmroad38 wrote:
Boink! wrote:Hey Colin and everyone. Glad the TDF is back.

I'm seeing:

I'm seeing the same. Every post in that thread with embedded links is broken - looks like BBCode is disabled?

HTML isn't supported. BBcode is.

All modern forum software blocks HTML for security reasons unfortunately.
farmroad38

Post by farmroad38 »

Gotcha. Thanks Colin - I remember it happening on another forum I use now you've said that.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Also to address a couple of other points:

1. The sidebar will have more in it - we'll be including furniture from the new main website there including latest posts etc. Just didn't make the cut in time for launch.

2. Width of the forum is restricted to the site-wide ad requirements. I doubt you'll find any commercial forums/sites that don't have a fixed width now so we're not exactly bucking the trend.

I will look to improve the experience where I can - however, we're lucky that there's still a forum at all :)
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

ColinP wrote:This is my final post as an actual contributor to the site. From now on I'll be a normal member like the rest of you :)
I guess this was a lie :D I'm still here doing things for now :D
Boink!

Post by Boink! »

ColinP wrote:I will look to improve the experience where I can - however, we're lucky that there's still a forum at all :)
Thank you Colin.
zantarous

Post by zantarous »

I know folks are moaning about the look of the new forum but just want to say on mobile it now looks 100% better. I can finally dump that Tap Talk app.

If you can enable Chrome notifications that definitely get me to come to the forum more often.
Shingster

Post by Shingster »

Yeah definite improvement on mobile!