Desert Island Games

Discuss board games here!
Torf

Desert Island Games

Post by Torf »

Ok, you know the score. You're headed for a desert island, with space for just one game. There might be just one other player, but possibly more, possibly a huge group ... but you can take just one game.

For me it would have to be Puerto Rico. With a reasonable two player variant, and playing really well with 3-5 players, it's a deep and engaging game. It's also quick to teach with little down time as each player gets an active choice in every round (except when the Prospector is chosen).

I'd probably try and source the Anniversary Edition as it looks simply beautiful.
vaderag

Post by vaderag »

Ah man, that's hard... I'll need to think on it some more, but at the moment I'm thinking Carcassonne... Works well with 2 players and always keeps me entertained. But I may change my mind later...
daboy3000

Post by daboy3000 »

What an odd thread! Why would you take a board game to a desert island? Is it in your hand luggage when the plane crashes? What if you lose a piece or there are more people trapped on the island than the game allows.

There are just too many factors at play here. A deck of cards maybe, at least you can play a variety of games. Does that count!
queeg500

Post by queeg500 »

Carcassonne is good fun and easy to play. I find it's better with just two players though as it relies much more on luck with more players. Might be a good option for a desert island though as I can play it almost endlessly!

Not sure what I'd take instead at the moment...
Torf

Post by Torf »

Yep, variety from one game is welcome.

Feel free to make up your own story about how you got there :)
vaderag

Post by vaderag »

I feel that Survive! Escape From Atlantis should be there because it might be just a little too close to home ;)
Questor

Post by Questor »

Sentinels of the Multiverse! I'm going to cheat a bit here and say with all expansion content, cos it all fits in the box :P

Heaps of combinations of heroes/villain/environment means you will likely not play the same way again in a hurry, and you can play solo if need be too.
statto

Post by statto »

Probably be boring and go the deck of cards route, as that's loads of games in one (throw in a cribbage board and you've got scoring sorted too).

If there was a massive group then Ultimate Werewolf without a shadow of a doubt.

Small group, 3-6 people, Keyflower.

Just two people, either Carcassonne or Hive, depending on how strategic my playing partner was.

Just me, Space Hulk: Death Angel or Robinson Crusoe.
queeg500

Post by queeg500 »

I think I'd still take Carcassonne, but I'd need the expansions. If vanilla-only, I don't think it's so replayable.
vaderag

Post by vaderag »

queeg500 wrote:I think I'd still take Carcassonne, but I'd need the expansions. If vanilla-only, I don't think it's so replayable.

I'm not so sure - definitely a couple of the expansions are worthwhile, but I rarely use anything but River, and occasionally The Phantom. I also like Cult & Siege, but wouldnt say it's essential.
That said, I have Traders & Builders, but never played...
queeg500

Post by queeg500 »

Traders & Builders is one of the best I've played. Combining that with the Princess and Dragon is fun. Makes the basic game a bit dull in comparison.

In total there are something like 40 expansions, some more worthwhile than others I'm sure, but plenty of variety!
statto

Post by statto »

Traders & Builders and Inns & Cathedrals are the best two expansions. Having said that, I love vanilla Carcassonne.
queeg500

Post by queeg500 »

Oh yes, Inns and Cathedrals too!