IOS asynchronous games thread

Discuss board games here!
queeg500

Post by queeg500 »

Gah! Your occupations are much better than mine! Two of my favourites you have there...
queeg500

Post by queeg500 »

Torf, are we still going on our game of Agricola?
Torf

Post by Torf »

Yep. Sorry. Been on my hols, your turn I think
queeg500

Post by queeg500 »

No problem! Hope you had a good holiday

It's showing as your turn in my game.

Also, I've been playing with another friend; would you be up for a three player game at some point?
Torf

Post by Torf »

Def up for a three player game. Just taken my turn!
queeg500

Post by queeg500 »

Grand! I'll set one up soon. Do you have any of the expansion decks (I, K) or should I just use the E deck for occupations and minor improvements?
Torf

Post by Torf »

Yep, I have all three decks. Happy to play with whichever.
queeg500

Post by queeg500 »

Cool
queeg500

Post by queeg500 »

I definitely need more practice outside of the Solo Series!

Have started a three player game with the other friend I mentioned. Meanwhile I'll have a go against the AI again and hopefully provide more of a challenge for you next time
Torf

Post by Torf »

:) It's a cracking game, and I've never known any game to make me feel more uncomfortable in the middle stages as this. Trying to keep all the plates spinning so you end up with a reasonable score at the end of the game is a superb mental challenge. I love how you have to trust that the points come together on the final turn, everything before then is just groundwork.

Agricola is also a well worked offense / defense game. Getting the balance right of aggression (controlling key resources) and empire building is crucial. And it's all about bloomin' farming! Magic.

Looking forward to the three player game. Feel free to start a parallel two player again - happy to keep going :)
queeg500

Post by queeg500 »

Agreed, I'm really enjoying it! Just not doing very well... I think I'm not planning my strategy enough in advance, for one thing.

And yes, I might start another two player as well
Torf

Post by Torf »

I've also picked up Ascension, along with all the expansions. If anyone fancies a game, let me know.

It's an enjoyable game, though makes me realise exactly who should be appointed to design and release Dominion. They've nailed the format precisely with Ascension, so fingers crossed Playdek also get the nod (though I seem to recall that that's not the case...)
queeg500

Post by queeg500 »

I didn't really get Ascension when I played it with Steve. Maybe it's better if you really get to know the cards, but I felt I was just playing cards at random!

(It occurs to me that this is probably the equivalent of button-mashing in a beat 'em up videogame vs learning the button combinations for all the moves; I've never got the hang of those either!)
Torf

Post by Torf »

Having played a lot of Dominion, I took to Ascension quite quickly, but it did take maybe 5-10 games vs CPU to really feel like I understood the best way to chain cards together.

There's a natural order to playing out your hand which seems to go...

-Constructs (as they remain semi-permanent from hand to hand)
-Heros
-Attack cards
-'Money' cards

Then purchase or defeat cards as you see fit. It's often better to buy / defeat from the centre row to see if something better crops up that you then want to purchase rather than spending money on the always available cards.

Also, deck thinning (banishing) to ensure your more powerful cards come round more often is far more essential here than it is in Dominion. In Dominion you have to have the kingdom cards available to make this an option (Mines to upgrade coins etc.). In Ascension, there are a variety of heros and monsters to enable this, and upgrading your +1 money and +1 attack to their +2 equivalents is essential to access the more powerful cards.

Give it 10 games against the CPU and see how you get on.
queeg500

Post by queeg500 »

Cool, thanks
Joober

Post by Joober »

I tried Ascension but really can't get to grips with it. I'm a big fan of Dominion so it's not that I don't understand it. I think I just hate card games like that in digital form.
Forum Moderator
Torf

Post by Torf »

I'm not sure I've had a worse game of Agricola! Just couldn't get going, and ended up losing the will to live in round 4! Both you and James played really well, was tight between you both.
queeg500

Post by queeg500 »

Thanks! In contrast to our two player game, where I got too enthusiastic with the Wet Nurse off the bat and didn't pay attention to how much food I needed...
Torf

Post by Torf »

queeg500 wrote:...got too enthusiastic with the Wet Nurse ...

Now there's a phrase :)
queeg500

Post by queeg500 »

Been enjoying Agricola with Torf and another (non-forum) friend of mine.

Up for more Carcassonne or TTR if anyone fancies it?

Any other suggestions of new games to play?

I was looking at the following link; anyone played Stone Age, Lords of Waterdeep or San Juan on iOS?

http://www.imore.com/best-ipad-games-board-game-edition