Language independent games

Discuss board games here!
MetalGearAl

Post by MetalGearAl »

Queen Games were super nice and sent me both English instructions and cards for the base Kingdom Builder set and its expansions, free of charge :thumbs:

Interestingly enough - one of the expansions, Nomads, was the multilingual edition but the other, Crossroads, wasn't but still had English cards.
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

I received the quite excellent German edition of Saboteur a couple of weeks back which is also completely language independent, with the English rules available on the Z-Man Games website.
"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega." - Brodie (Mallrats)
| Stejay on LastFM, Xbox Live, Steam, PSN, Nintendo & Game Center |
Joober

Post by Joober »

Saboteur is one of my favourite games. The sequel/expansion is great too!
Forum Moderator
MetalGearAl

Post by MetalGearAl »

Weird you mention that, was reviewed very recently on ShutUpAndSitDown and I'd never heard it before. It's definitely in my "to buy" list, though it looks like the original is OOP in the UK at the moment.

From what I've read, the game is much better when played with the expansion?
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

Yup, strangely enough I received it a few days before their review went up. I'd been after it for some time but gave up waiting for an English reprint so just grabbed the German release from Amazon.co.uk. The only text on the cards is on the Saboteur cards which is the same in both languages anyway.

I've heard it is better with the expansion too, but for now we're loving it as it is. The traitor mechanic is really simple but so much fun, leaving you paranoid and suspicious of everyone. My son as a traitor the other night had everyone convinced it was actually me instead and I found myself frustratingly targeted by everyone with broken tool cards whilst pleading my innocence to no avail. The faces on the other players when he went on to win and they realised I was telling the truth all along was priceless.

With just 3 or 4 players there is a chance that there may not even be a traitor, but quite often someone will end up doing something that seems 'off' and someone else will end up turning on them, hindering everyone's progress and even losing the game when all the players were actually on the same side...
Joober

Post by Joober »

The expansion adds a lot to it, including a 2 player variant and team play. Some of the extra characters aren't really needed though and we haven't played with them.
Forum Moderator
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

I will get it at some point. I'm just going to try and enjoy it as it is some more first though as I'm trying to break my bad habit of buying expansions too soon, before I've played enough of the base set.