King of New York (sequel to King of Tokyo)

Discuss board games here!
GAmbrose

King of New York (sequel to King of Tokyo)

Post by GAmbrose »

Mine has been delivered today courtesy of Amazon.co.uk. Pre-ordered it at £23 and they honoured the price, so that's good. Looking forward to playing this one as I thought King of Tokyo was really good and this seems to add to the game whilst keeping it fairly simple.

Review on Dicetower:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4TmQXECJj4Q?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not sure why my embedding isn't working, URL is here: http://youtu.be/4TmQXECJj4Q

Looks pretty cool to me. Sounds like there is more direct conflict and the cards make the game sound like it has a lot more variety than the original.
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

I didn't even realise it was due out yet! Dare I buy another game already?

I look forward to your thoughts on it, and whether or not it is worth owning alongside KOT.
"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega." - Brodie (Mallrats)
| Stejay on LastFM, Xbox Live, Steam, PSN, Nintendo & Game Center |
MetalGearAl

Post by MetalGearAl »

I played a few games of King Of New York at the weekend.

It's added more of a "Rampage" element to the game, where there are buildings to smash up for victory points. Smashing these up, however, creates units which are then able to attack you back. This makes the game more interesting and not just a fight between monster(s) in the centre and those who are not.

I already own King Of Tokyo - I know people who have been keen to own both but I think I'll just stick with the original and put that money into a completely different game instead. I think part of the thing selling this is that it's "rare" and people are keen to get their hands on a copy.
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

Crap. I love King of Tokyo, but I had decided likeMetalGearAl above, that perhaps I would be better just spending the money on something completely different instead. Then I read Rab Florence's King of New York and the game has moved to the top of my NEED NOW list. The theme of the original was always great, but the way it has been expanded on to have different boroughs to move around, buildings to smash and armies to fight sounds fantastic. My son won't often play KOT with us because it relies too much on the luck of the dice for him. It sounds as if the luck element has been lessened, or is at least not as obvious in KONY because of the extra options and control you have in what you do and where your creature goes so this could perhaps win him over.

One thing I don't understand, and puts me off a little is the end of the review saying it doesn't make the original obsolete whereas to me it sounds like a dramatically improved replacement rather than a more advanced companion. It may be true I suppose if you want to use the original as a gateway game for new people, but from that review I cannot see why I personally would ever bother playing KOT again if KONY was next to it on my shelf. Regardless I can see me caving and ordering KONY very soon.
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

Steve Jackson wrote:Dare I buy another game already?

Steve Jackson wrote:I can see me caving and ordering KONY very soon.

"1 x IEL51170 : King Of New York Board Game

Your order has been dispatched via :Royal Mail First Class Post"

Ooops! ;)
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

My copy of KONY arrived this morning, complete with the Monster Idol promo card, thanks Gameslore. I haven't had time to play it yet, but I have read the manual and I'm amazed at how it is practically the same game with the same core mechanics, yet has fantastically expanded on the whole theme at the same time. From Rab's review and reading the manual, I fail to see how this is anything less than essential for fans of the original. I cannot wait to play it this evening.
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

There are some really fun cards in both of these games, but does anyone else find they don't factor as much as they'd like? Energy cubes can be quite hard to obtain sometimes and we don't tend to cycle through many cards when we play. I've been thinking about tweaking it a little and starting with a small number of cubes each.
Mills

Post by Mills »

Last game of Tokyo I played was almost completely decided by cards. One player got a card that gave her double energy early on, and was then able to afford the 'it has a child' card without us being able to do anything to stop her. Despite our best efforts (we got her down to 4 or so health after the child card was used) she was just too strong to stop. But normally I'd agree with you, they often don't get used much.

As for New York, my copy arrived last Sunday (another amazon order, with prime - I'd forgotten about it but can't complain when it was £24 as opposed to the current prices). Haven't played it yet but I'm sure it'll get a look in soon.
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

That does sound the exception rather than the norm. It seems a shame because there are some great cards but we barely see them. In the last game of KONY we played, my son commented on how we could play without the cards at all as we cycle through so few. I think I'm going to hand out three cubes each at the start the next time we play.
MetalGearAl

Post by MetalGearAl »

Steve Jackson wrote:From Rab's review and reading the manual, I fail to see how this is anything less than essential for fans of the original.

Well, I own and enjoy the first, but for me it's simply the case that there are a LOT of games out there, and the money could be spend on something completely different. I can't buy all games, so I like each new addition to be rather different than the last.
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

I get that absolutely. Makes perfect sense.
GAmbrose

Post by GAmbrose »

HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION

At last I broke this out on Saturday, had some 3 player games whilst waiting for a friend to arrive.

Took slightly longer to setup than KOT (5 minutes instead of 2 :D ). Was very easy to pickup and play, much like the original.

All three games were decided by Victory points, but I think as soon as you get to 4 players that would change and it would more likely come down to being the last monster alive.

Anyway, because there is a bit more too it, I'd say this game has more longevity than KOT, but probably isn't quite so child friendly. All the old 'victory point' numbers on the dice are replaced with other symbols, so there's certainly more options when deciding what you roll for and resolving it.

Seemed slightly easier to get energy this time around, so cards were coming in to play more. And the 'Superstar' card you get for rolling 3x 'celebrity stars' turned out to be quite a powerful card.

The Statue of Liberty card wasn't quite so useful. It's probably the thing to go for if you have 17 victory points but I can't see much point in it other than for a cheap win in that scenario.

Certainly looking forward to cracking it out with 4 players in future.