The purchase justification thread

Discuss board games here!
nutter45

The purchase justification thread

Post by nutter45 »

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for bouncing recommendations around, either to temper those impulse purchases or to ask for recommendations on a particular game or genre.

I'm looking at buying Eight Minute Empire at the moment, as I like the idea of a quick Risk type area control game that is simple and easy to explain but not luck based. Seems like it's well worth a shot at c£15 delivered. Has anyone got/played it?
statto

Post by statto »

Never played it, but it looks like fun. If you're looking for something Risk-esque but a bit quicker and more fun then I'd recommend Small World.

My purchase justification process is normally: I don't own that, I want it, opens wallet. :D
nutter45

Post by nutter45 »

Mine too, then have to explain to the wife what is in yet another large cardboard box from amazon :D

I got small world 2 on iOS but didn't get on with it. Maybe it was a crappy tutorial or I just wasn't paying attention but I couldn't fathom what was going on and what I was supposed to be doing.
statto

Post by statto »

It's pretty simple, and is less luck based than Risk. I think they played it on TableTop so watching that would probably iron out any rules issues you have. The iOS implementation is fairly good.
Questor

Post by Questor »

Eight Minute Empire is actually really really good. It takes a bit more than eight minutes (our usual plays are about 15-20 minutes, especially with new players) but it's definitely a nice filler type game, with a bit of strategy thrown in!
"Due to management cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off"
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

I've just ordered Machi Koro. Anyone here got this already, if so what do you think of it? When I read it had elements of Settlers and Dominion I couldn't resist.
"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega." - Brodie (Mallrats)
| Stejay on LastFM, Xbox Live, Steam, PSN, Nintendo & Game Center |
nutter45

Post by nutter45 »

Machi Koro is on my wish list. Looks a really good little game.
statto

Post by statto »

nutter45 wrote:Machi Koro is on my wish list. Looks a really good little game.

It's very good, and an excellent gateway game. I managed to get hold of a copy along with the expansion and the expansion is definitely worth getting too.
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

I'll have to look out for the expansion. One of the main criticisms I've read about the game is that while it is apparently an amazing game, it gets a little repetitive with just the base set of cards.
statto

Post by statto »

It's definitely better with three or four players. With two it can become pretty easy to see the route you should take to counteract what the other player is doing, but with three (and especially four) you begin to work at cross purposes.
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

Sat home waiting for the nice Amazon man to deliver it now. Sadly a little excited.
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

It has just arrived. Bloody hell there is a lot of empty space in the box. Whilst it is good that they have thought ahead with space for expansions, there isn't a great deal in the base set for the money compared to the likes of say Dominion, It almost feels like a video game where you just know content has been held back to sell later as DLC. Still, it looks lovely and if it plays anywhere as good as reviews suggest it'll still be more than worth it.
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

I've finally cracked and ordered One Night Ultimate Werewolf. It is something I'd been thinking about for some time but I was worried it might be too light without the tension of not knowing who would be killed on following nights. The universal praise finally won me over though so I decided to get it in before Christmas.

I just hope it gets enough play now. Whereas the rest of us love it, my wife is already a reluctant The Resistance player and doesn't get Coup at all. Fingers crossed she gets on better with this.
MetalGearAl

Post by MetalGearAl »

All 3 games are nicely different from each other. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it, it's pretty clear I'm a big fan of it from the way I post about it!
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

Machi Koro: The Harbor pre-ordered from Amazon today. Hopefully it will feel like a full game then, not the stripped down, incomplete thing it is now.
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

And it arrived today, Machi Koro should actually be good now!

The original is great of course, well for a few games until the appeal of the fantastic artwork wears off and you realise how shallow and incomplete it really is. I feel that I've spent £16.99 not on an expansion, but on the other half of the game that was missing from the outset.

It still isn't fantastic value for money though, like the original coming in an over-sized box deceiving you about the amount of content. What you actually get for your £16.99 in the box about twice as deep as it needs to be is a little over ninety cards and a few punch-out cardboard coins. Oh, and a small manual of course, and a flyer advertising the next expansion coming later this year, Millionaire's Row.

On the plus side, Machi Koro has always been a game I've wanted to love and although I've yet to play it with The Harbor, the new rules and cards look and sound really good and should make for a satisfying experience. I now can't wait to break the game out again. Fingers crossed it actually is as good now as I'm expecting.
Joober

Post by Joober »

I got a years worth of back pay yesterday, currently wondering what to splurge on. Any particularly luxurious/ deluxe games that I should own?
Forum Moderator
nutter45

Post by nutter45 »

Star Wars Imperial Assault?
statto

Post by statto »

Ticket to Ride 10th Anniversary edition.

If you really want to splurge then Takenoko collectors edition, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get in the UK.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

statto wrote:Ticket to Ride 10th Anniversary edition.

If anyone is interested, and looking for a copy, I just put my spare, sealed copy for sale in the classifieds, for a reasonable price...

http://forums.thedigitalfix.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10085129#post10085129

Cheers,
Kevin