Province : (ex-)Kickstarter game - £11

Discuss board games here!
Torf

Post by Torf »

UPDATE - Full Review over at Geeklife - http://geeklife.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/432/province.html

So my copy of this neatly packaged worker placement game arrived, and after a couple of plays I can recommend it as a small footprint, quick playing, two player game.

Quite a bit of depth for such a small package, and games tend to be pretty close. Full review coming soon, but you can order yours for around $18 direct from Laboratory - https://laboratory.vg/

The premise
Two players vie for power in a small provincial market town, hiring workers, generating revenue and establishing buildings that grant various powers for later turns. Victory points are the currency of success, and are gained from buildings and a random mix of 5 VP goals that add an element of luck to proceedings.

What's it like to play?

Takes around 20-25 minutes to run through, and probably suitable for gamers aged 10+. Perfect for getting out after lunch, but don't be surprised if one game turns into best of three!

Game dynamics

On your turn, you generate labour and coins which you need to erect a building. You do this by cycling the workers on the game board (two spaces generate labour and one space generates coins). Labour is lost if unused, but coins carry over from turn to turn.

This provides the basis of the game's clever hook ... generate labour by all means, but you may leave workers open for your opponent to generate coins in their next turn. Getting 'just enough' to achieve that turns' goal, whilst denying resource to your opponent is key to unlocking victory.

Both players can build a building to gain access to its benefits, but only the first player to build it will get VPs.

The random VP goals also add a slice of luck to the game, with only one known at any one time. These range from 'have access to x workers', to 'spend 4 coins in one turn'. Bagging 2 or more of these will often be the key to victory.

Closing thoughts
For around £11 delivered, this is a high quality well thought out strategy game. There's really no reason it shouldn't be in your holiday bag, and given the footprint lends itself well to being played in an airport lounge.

(disclaimer - I don't work for Laboratory - nor, do I benefit from any sales! I backed the kickstarter and like the game :)
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

Looks interesting. I'd got for it if it supported up to four players.
"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega." - Brodie (Mallrats)
| Stejay on LastFM, Xbox Live, Steam, PSN, Nintendo & Game Center |
dannywonderful

Post by dannywonderful »

Torf wrote:
Closing thoughts
For around £6 delivered, this is a high quality well thought out strategy game. There's really no reason it shouldn't be in your holiday bag, and given the footprint lends itself well to being played in an airport lounge.

How are you getting it for £6 delivered? It goes into my basket as $18 including delivery.
Torf

[BOARDGAME] : Province : (ex-)Kickstarter game - $10

Post by Torf »

dannywonderful wrote:How are you getting it for £6 delivered? It goes into my basket as $18 including delivery.

Apologies. Didn't realise there was shipping on top (looked the same as the domestic price) - I'll amend the first post.

I'll also reflect after a few more games whether it's worth just over a tenner. Gut feel is yes, and the bits are well made.
Torf

Post by Torf »

Ok, so this went on our most recent holiday and became a firm 'just one more game' favourite for last thing at night with a final (honest!) glass of wine.

Tight and close games seem the order of the day, with a good amount of strategy and thinking 2/3 moves ahead a requirement.

The variety of building powers lend themselves well to adapting to your opponent. One worry I had is that you would see one player be able to repeat the same path / strategy / order of building purchases, but this didn't tend to happen.

The VP goals also lend a good degree of risk / reward gameplay. Bagging the 1VP on offer for 'owning the 10 coin' may leave you a turn or two down in the purchase of buildings stakes.

I've emailed Laboratory for a quote for multiple copies (to save on shipping like we've done with Trainyard Express). If anyone would be interested, let me know.
MetalGearAl

Post by MetalGearAl »

Yeah, think I'd be interested in this! Let us know if they'll do a bulk deal :)
Torf

Post by Torf »

Good stuff. Yes they do and I'm in discussions with them. Should know more once they can confirm shipping tomorrow.
Torf

Post by Torf »

Bulk deal quotes are in. Will cost around £9.50 per copy to have them shipped to me, and for me to send on to those in the UK.

It's only a small saving (around £1.50) so probably easier / quicker just to order direct from laboratory.
Snoopy

Post by Snoopy »

Just ordered one for £11.32 at today's Paypal exchange rate. (At least I think I've ordered it as it all goes through Paypal without the normal checkout stage)
Torf

Post by Torf »

Good stuff. Hope you like it.
vaderag

Post by vaderag »

Counters looks Carcassone-esque - are there similarities?
Torf

Post by Torf »

Torf

Post by Torf »

vaderag wrote:Counters looks Carcassone-esque - are there similarities?

Nope - they've nicked the look of the meeples from the gem of a game you mention, but it's a completely different mechanic.

The only similarity is that you have workers, and they do a job, but that's where it ends. Peeps who like the flavour of Carcassonne would enjoy this though. Difficult to not like Province actually after a couple of games.
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

Great review. Hope you do more.

Did you know it is also available on the iPad for £2.99?
Torf

Post by Torf »

Thanks for the feedback Steve - glad you enjoyed it. I'll hopefully be putting up a few more over the next month or so.

I have it on the iPad (backers of the KS got a free copy). It's a perfect recreation of the game and artwork, and gives a good understanding of the mechanics and various strategies to be employed. I'd use it to play a few single player games to try out strategies. Not sure it's a deep enough experience for £3 to be honest, and therefore is probably too expensive just to try it before buying the mini-boxed game.

Worth setting up an appshopper alert though in case it drops to less than a quid.
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

Torf wrote:Thanks for the feedback Steve - glad you enjoyed it. I'll hopefully be putting up a few more over the next month or so.

I didn't know about your Board of Education feature either until just. Another excellent article. :thumbs:

Torf wrote:Not sure it's a deep enough experience for £3 to be honest, and therefore is probably too expensive just to try it before buying the mini-boxed game.

Worth setting up an appshopper alert though in case it drops to less than a quid.

Good idea, will do.
Torf

Post by Torf »

Steve Jackson wrote:I didn't know about your Board of Education feature either until just. Another excellent article. :thumbs:

Excellent - I'm sure there are some similar experiences included in the article for us BG Geeks :thumbs:
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

Crap! Just added it to AppShopper and found out it was actually free for a time last month dammit!
Torf

Post by Torf »

Steve Jackson wrote:Crap! Just added it to AppShopper and found out it was actually free for a time last month dammit!

It was for a day, but that was for the backers of the Kickstarter - they had trouble with Apple giving them enough codes for a free version to distribute, so mailed people in advance to ask them to download it on a certain day and asked to not spread the word.

Felt reasonable, and I'm sure a few people got wind of it. Hope you understand why I didn't post on here :)
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

Absolutely. There was another Kickstarter that had the same problem with Apple, can't recall what it was now, but word got out and people went nuts. Not fair on the people that paid to back it and I wouldn't have been able to grab it for free myself.