Kickstarter board games thread

Discuss board games here!
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

Torf started a thread the other day about a new game on Kickstarter called Harbour, so I thought I'd gauge interest and start a dedicated thread for discussing and recommended new games asking for funding.

Queen Games are back on Kickstarter again after recently pulling their Escape: Curse of the Temple digital port campaign which I thought was a shame as I was really looking forward to seeing how they handled it. Much better to pull it if they thought they wouldn't be able to do it justice than taking all that money and released a bug-filled, half-assed port though of course.

Anyway, their new project is Escape: Zombie City. The theme is great and it looks like an improved and refined variation of the already excellent E:COTT. I really want to back it, but it is a little expensive for a light game that plays in just 15 minutes, especially after factoring in shipping to the UK, which can be a stumbling block with a lot of Kickstarter games. If it is priced the same as E:COTT when it eventually hits retail, it will end up a fair bit cheaper to simply wait and buy it once released generally. So, £46 now or a possible £25-30 later? But zombies. Gah! EDIT: I've just caved and back it.

I'm also not too fond of established companies using Kickstarter like this. Surely they have the resources to fund it already instead of asking inflated versus eventual retail costs now to get the game into print.

The second game I want to mention isn't on Kickstarter yet, but will be later in the year. It's called 27th Passenger: A Hunt On Rails and a prototype of it has just been reviewed by Michael Fox on the Little Metal Dog website and I cannot wait to get my hands on it. It's a murder deduction game that turns into a real bloodbath because as well as hunting the killer, you're also being hunted yourself and players end up bumping each other off as the game progresses. Assuming it isn't stupidly priced, I'll certainly be backing this one.
"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega." - Brodie (Mallrats)
| Stejay on LastFM, Xbox Live, Steam, PSN, Nintendo & Game Center |
statto

Post by statto »

I'm contemplating backing Harbour. Euro style worker placement game that only takes 20 minutes, comes in a small box and is only about £15 including shipping? Sounds good to me.
MetalGearAl

Post by MetalGearAl »

27th Passenger: A Hunt On Rails looks good, will be interested in that when it comes out.
Joober

Post by Joober »

That does sound like a good game, I hope it happens!
Forum Moderator
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

If it ends up being one of those Kickstarter games with stupid shipping charges from the States, and if they have a pledge level for multiple copies that cuts the shipping down, perhaps we could organise a group buy.
MetalGearAl

Post by MetalGearAl »

Yeah I'd be potentially up for that.

Man, that's just reminded me of the time years ago when a whole bunch of us on here did a group buy of GP2X consoles to get 'em cheap!
nutter45

Post by nutter45 »

Just a few hours left on Progress: Evolution of Technology now. A couple of new stretch goals added overnight to maintain interest as all but one have now been achieved :clap:

27th passenger sounds really good :thumbs:
HubbaHubba

Post by HubbaHubba »

I'd be wary of backing anything by Queen Games on Kickstarter. Their policy seems to be stay active whilst they're taking your money then disappear on to their next Kickstarter and ignore any issues people have with the previous ones. Dark Darker Darkest has been a complete shambles :(
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

Oh? What is the problem?
HubbaHubba

Post by HubbaHubba »

This is one of many threads on BGG that go into issues people have had:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1123382/do-not-back-queen-games-kickstarters

Basically with DDD they took on more than they could handle releasing a game with miniatures. The Kickstarter itself was a complete mess - chopping and changing what was included all the time, making promises they've been unable to keep. The game went out last November. I was one of the lucky ones that got a copy but there are people that have yet to receive theirs and QG are just ignoring them. As they are with people with missing or broken components. And none of the add ons have been sent out at all yet (the KS funded in July last year).

The main problem has been the complete lack of communication. They knew they had screwed up but rather than deal with it just buried their head in the sand leaving the poor designer of the game to deal with the flack. In fact, the only way to get a response from them has been to back their current KS, spam the comments until you get a reply and then cancel your pledge. Whilst DDD has been a particularly bad experience, they seem to have kept up the trend of only remaining active on their current KS and ignoring comments and emails concerning previous ones from people with problems.
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

Crap. That isn't good at all. I'm still going to remain a backer as I really want the game. Fingers crossed nothing goes wrong this time.
Joober

Post by Joober »

I was looking at getting DDD in my local game shop recently. Don't think I'll bother now!
Forum Moderator
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

Well if you're getting it retail, just take it back if there's anything wrong.
Torf

Post by Torf »

Good thread Steve. Harbour review coming soon!
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

There is a print and play version? I'll be interested to see what you think of it.
Torf

Post by Torf »

Steve Jackson wrote:There is a print and play version? I'll be interested to see what you think of it.

Now up! :) [I liked it]
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

Good seeing as I barely skimmed over the Kickstarter page but still backed it because of your recommendation!
Torf

Post by Torf »

Steve Jackson wrote:The second game I want to mention isn't on Kickstarter yet, but will be later in the year. It's called 27th Passenger: A Hunt On Rails and a prototype of it has just been reviewed by Michael Fox on the Little Metal Dog website and I cannot wait to get my hands on it. It's a murder deduction game that turns into a real bloodbath because as well as hunting the killer, you're also being hunted yourself and players end up bumping each other off as the game progresses. Assuming it isn't stupidly priced, I'll certainly be backing this one.

Really like the look of this one. Good theming, reasonable straightforward interactions and dynamics (meaning teaching should be ok), and a couple of good reviews already. Would be good to get a print and play of this one. Do keep us posted on the Kickstarter Steve.

Here's the other review - http://www.boardgamemaniac.com/articles/Review-27th-Passenger_-A-hunt-on-Rails-a55.html
Steve Jackson

Post by Steve Jackson »

Will do, Torf.

I missed out on the recent Kickstarter for Yardmaster, so I've just backed Yardmaster Express. As the original seems to have been so warmly received I couldn't resist the new one for just $19 delivered.
statto

Post by statto »

I was going to suggest a possible forum multi-buy for Yardmaster Express, as you only pay one lot of shipping, regardless of how many copies you purchase. Would anyone else be interested?