Windows 10

Discuss all things to do with computing. Please note that we do not allow the discussion of peer to peer (P2P) subject matter.

Moderator: Kryten

bumfrog

Re: Windows 10

Post by bumfrog »

AdamBrunt wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:16 pmLoads of stuff would need to be re-installed.
oh bugger
AdamBrunt wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:16 pm I'll take a look into @shteve_ 's suggestion later
yep, probably the best idea.
cliff homewood

Post by cliff homewood »

Well my PC has stopped working. my troubleshooting DVD tells me windows registry file corrupt (HAL.dll) so will need to run recovery disk to get it working again. Alas widnwos wont even boot into safe mode. So I was one of those that took the free upgrade, in my case from Windows 7 to Windows 10, so my disc is a windows 7 one, have read different versions of OS aren't compatible when it comes to repair, so now I ned to either source a windows 10 disc somewhere, which you don't get when you do a free upgrade, or reinstall my Windows 7 again.

HAve read you can create a backup disc, so word of warning to others, might be worth doing.
bumfrog

Post by bumfrog »

do you have access to another computer at all? If so you could download windows on that to a usb stick...

You an also try pressing f11 on boot to get to the windows advanced boot menu. From there you could run a repair.
Wooglie

Post by Wooglie »

Might be worth looking into a new SSD/Boot drive as well. The corrupt file might mean you current one is on the way out.
scoobyood

Post by scoobyood »

You’ve done well Cliff if that’s the same disk and install since Windows 7 to be honest..

A new SSD for £30-40 and a fresh install will do wonders. Did as much for my uncle during first lockdown when his all-in-one was struggling to do zoom calls and he thought I had given him a new computer.
AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

Turns out if you have tools, software and knowledge ... you can remove both the TPM and Secure Boot requirements for Win11. You just need a Win10 and Win11 iso, copy files from one to the other and reburn the iso
scoobyood

Post by scoobyood »

Is that a surprise?.. it's Windows 10 with the UI from the cancelled spin-off of Windows 10X.

Can't say I'm too bothered at joining the insiders ring at present, its always a mess this far from release. Plus the updates will come too often and it gets annoying getting pestered to do a large update every few days.
shteve_

Post by shteve_ »

I won't be surprised if they do remove the requirement for TPM/ secure boot themselves anyway. Having to maintain Win10 and 11 isn't something they'll want long term, and obsoleting perfectly good PCs isn't going to be a good look either.
I've got a signature and an avatar but not access to my old account :|
driver8

Post by driver8 »

I'm currently on:
Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 / OS build 19043.1055 / Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0
With an optional update for:
2021-06 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems (KB5003690)
Anyone on this ?
Should I choose the update, or wait till it arrives automatically?
I'm not bothered about beta features and prefer stability/security. No issues currently, and not a gamer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... 1709ee2248

https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/06/2 ... eed-boost/
scoobyood

Post by scoobyood »

That is just Microsoft's new/changed update delivery paradigm for this month..... it's just a way they are delaying the impact on their CDN where it's a none critical update.. and presenting the update for those people who like to get the updates 'right now'. Previously the behaviour was that update was available, but didn't appear unless a person actually pressed the 'check for updates' button.

Get it... don't get it... up to you. It does the fix for the much loved, poorly implemented news thing...

"Updates an issue that causes blurry text on the news and interests button on the Windows taskbar for some screen resolutions."

.. on that note, the Windows 11 hype further confuses me when everyone hated the news and weather taskbar widget literally a week ago... and then 11 shows up with the same personal data mining feature on a bigger pane you swipe in left... and everyone is swooning. Bizarre.
driver8

Post by driver8 »

OK, thanks scooby. Think I will wait.

(And I've no idea about that whole NEWS thing - don't use it).
cliff homewood

Post by cliff homewood »

I bought the PC four years or so ago, put in a fresh SSD and installed the OS on it if I remember rightly. Then upgraded. Thanks for the advice, will try F11 but don't see it working as the corrupt file is one of those used for matching your hardware to windows it seems, Can get in bios but cant get windows to boot, tried both restore to previous working and the various safe modes etc from a recovery disk I have just havent got the required windows one. Alas havent got another windows 10 PC.
bumfrog

Post by bumfrog »

not tried it yet but it should work for this purpose:

download hirens boot cd PE https://www.hirensbootcd.org/

Then boot to the usb stick with that on, it will give you a windows 10 environment. You should be able to download and run the windows 10 media creation tool to make a windows 10 usb stick https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

fingers crossed.
GalaxyBlue

Post by GalaxyBlue »

I've now installed Windows 11 on all 5 of my PCs. I used the windows insider version as opposed to the leaked build and my version number is 22000.51.

It installed fine on most of them - though my main PC doesn't have a TPM v2.0 module so I had to skip the check so it would install. I can buy a TPM module for the motherboard for £12 so I might do that.

Once installed, I chose the reset this PC button. Interestingly as part of the reset you can get it to download the install from the "cloud" to make sure you get the latest ISO. I always do this to get the cleanest possible version

It seems to work really well for me, the only change I have made is moving the taskbar from the centre to the left like windows 10. I really don't like it in the middle.

Everything else seems to be working well - remote desktop no longer seems to require a password for when you wake up your PC (I always have an RDP session open to my server and usually if the PC has gone to sleep it makes me re-enter the password for the server but seemingly doesn't anymore. It was daft it asking for a password anywhere when you have it saved and you could just disconnect, re-launch RDP and it would log in without asking for a password).

I haven't had anything not work yet, I just re-installed the apps I use and it worked fine.
Shingster

Post by Shingster »

I've seen screenshots of the new Windows 11 desktop and I really don't understand how a centralised Task Bar can work properly when you've still got the Notification Area/System Tray on the right? I mean, how can you have a centred system when there's literally less space on the right than the left? :suspect:
driver8

Post by driver8 »

I've got an Intel system app running in my sys tray that states it's no longer supported >

Linking to >

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and Intel® Optane™ Memory Applications Will No Longer Be Updated (End-of-Life Notice)

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver Installation Software with Intel® Optane™ Memory (8th and 9th Gen Platforms) - The Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) Floppy Driver (17.9.1.1009) supports the configuration and enabling of system acceleration with Intel® Optane™ memory and maintenance of RAID 0/1/5/10.

Running the install, you get this scary-sounding message - has anyone updated ?

GalaxyBlue

Post by GalaxyBlue »

I updated mine and didn't even really think about it. It still works fine.

I've had a battle before with getting it to work with my optane drive, but not because of the update.
driver8

Post by driver8 »

Thanks, GalaxyBlue - and you were correct, nothing to worry about. :thumbs: Very quick, too - I wonder why the normal Windows Updates couldn't have handled this, as I imagine that most people won't even notice the message. (I did get a security alert too, about memory access, so had to [?] accept this for the install to continue).

I see I posted the wrong screenshot, above - this is the more sinister message, after accepting the T&Cs >