Windows 11

Discuss all things to do with computing. Please note that we do not allow the discussion of peer to peer (P2P) subject matter.

Moderator: Kryten

GalaxyBlue

Windows 11

Post by GalaxyBlue »

I thought that since I started the thread for Windows 10 it was time that we had a Windows 11 thread.

Microsoft have announced that it will be released on 5th October as a free upgrade to Windows 10 (for eligible PCs with the right hardware).

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... october-5/

I've been using it for a couple of months and I do like it, though there are a few niggles that need ironing out in my opinion.
Shingster

Re: Windows 11

Post by Shingster »

I think this is shaping up to be an umitigated disaster for millions of device owners across the world and I really don't understand WTF Microsoft are playing at tbh in saying that if your CPU is older than 8th gen (which launched in 2017 I believe?) then they won't offer updates? How long will Windows 10 be around for, because if they phase that out fast then you've got an awful lot of devices that are headed for the rubbish tip across the world.
driver8

Post by driver8 »

Well yes and no - rather than the literal tip, most people would just continue to use their unsupported (and vulnerable) devices.
The Bear

Post by The Bear »

That would be annoying. My CPU is an Intel i5-4430 from 2013 on an LGA1150 Mobo.

Quite old by today's standards but it does everything I need of it, and have built a really quiet and quick system with an Nvme based OS of Windows 10.

If I have to pull the entire Mobo out just to update the CPU I'll be pissed.
The Bear

Post by The Bear »

However I've just read this:

"For those who can't (or don't want to) upgrade to Windows 11, Microsoft will continue to support Windows 10 through October 14, 2025."

Another 4 years before I need to do anything about it then.
GalaxyBlue

Post by GalaxyBlue »

I wouldn't worry too much about it not installing on older machines just yet.
This story says that you will be able to download the .ISO and install a clean build on older machines when Windows 11 is released.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2021/0 ... r-pcs.html

I've installed the beta on a PC running a 4th Gen Intel chip and it works fine. It's interesting to see if they will enforce the TPM requirement as none of my old machines have a TPM.
Shingster

Post by Shingster »

I'm not worried about it not installing, I'm worried there's not really any point to installing it if you can't update it because Microsoft can't be arsed to support CPUs older than generation 8, which really isn't that far back when you consider CPUs from much earlier generations are more than powerful enough to do 99% of the stuff modern PCs/devices are mostly used for these days. It's a franky disgusting decision on their part.
shteve_

Post by shteve_ »

It may just be the TPM requirement rather than the CPUs themselves. The 4th gen CPUs aren't listed as supported under Windows 10 either. Though of course the add on TPM modules have shot up in price (about £20 before the Win11 announcement, and now about £80!). The allowing you to install but then not providing updates part makes little sense. If you can reinstall the latest ISO image as and when they're released, it means they must be still supporting the hardware (or it wouldn't work).
I've got a signature and an avatar but not access to my old account :|